Aereo question

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
Not sure this is the right place. Move it if you must.

How does Aereo work. Is it really 100s of independent dime sized antennas each reserved for one cutomer or is it based more on an array concept?

Could we all have dime sized antennas?

XIn NYC they are in a warehouse in Brooklyn. Not really all that close to the transmitters.

in NYC they are in a warehouse in Brooklyn. Not really all that close to the transmitters.

Maybe I am just a cynic by nature but it seems hard to believe. I was looking for something a bit more technical but it is unlikely that I will find it.

4 miles? That's lots. I have WNVC a mere 1.8 miles away, my antenna at 90 deg, and a trap to keep it from overloading all my tuners!

You guys are real men. But I still suspect that an individual dime sized antenna would suck.

in NYC they are in a warehouse in Brooklyn. Not really all that close to the transmitters.

Maybe I am just a cynic by nature but it seems hard to believe. I was looking for something a bit more technical but it is unlikely that I will find it.

Hopefully there is more detail about inner-working of the antenna array in the court filings. I'll let you know...if I have time to read them this weekend.

My parents' house is about 20 miles from the broadcast antennas, and they could pick up all the channels perfectly with a $3 indoor antenna bought online shipped. It is about 2" in length and looks like a toy you get out from those plastic eggs at the 25 cents bubble gum vending machine.

I really don't see that they have any reason to "boost" the signal and muddy up the argument. Now what the broadcast companies could do if Aereo won could be that they will start to weaken the signal so much that you could a gigantic OTA antenna with amp to pick up the signal. That way it would make it unprofitable for Aereo to setup individual antenna.

If Aereo were smart they would send out an antenna array to a third party for testing. Perhaps that is what they did for their expert witnesses.

I have used a paperclip for OTA and it works fine for close stations.

Same here with the paperclip trick. I'd moved and couldn't find the antenna. Worked just fine. Still have that TV. Guess today I'll finally say goodbye to it. Sears, by Hitachi. 13" color. Twin lead input only. Loved that TV.

Back to main topic. I think it rare an industry shows so much contempt, even hatred, for their customers. "Customers are crooks, and must be watched very carefully, and we should be paid every time they so much as glance at our product. More money for us! And we SHOULD get more money. Let us be ever vigilant to suppress any developments that might force change upon us."

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I will assume you're talking about AEREO. If not, then you're condemning the existing Cable and Broadcast Industry model which, I agree, is broken. You cannot punish the Broadcast Industry while giving a free pass to the cable programmers. If broadcasters have to give away their copyright programming to subscription television providers, then cable programmers should too. Free broadcast television is licensed (for $$$) so the public can enjoy local and national programming over-the-air using an antenna. If people don't want to use an antenna, and pay for their programming, so be it. A La Carte 'em all, I say!!!

Same here with the paperclip trick. I'd moved and couldn't find the antenna. Worked just fine. Still have that TV. Guess today I'll finally say goodbye to it. Sears, by Hitachi. 13" color. Twin lead input only. Loved that TV.

Back to main topic. I think it rare an industry shows so much contempt, even hatred, for their customers. "Customers are crooks, and must be watched very carefully, and we should be paid every time they so much as glance at our product. More money for us! And we SHOULD get more money. Let us be ever vigilant to suppress any developments that might force change upon us."

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)