Aereo Slapped With 6-State Injunction By Federal Judge - 14 day Repreive - denied

Shrinking ad dollars. I guess that 100milllion in ad dollars for the Oscars that I read this morning is a myth

I don't work in the Industry, but all the Industry trade rags have been stating overall broadcast advertising has been dwindling over the years. Obviously, advertisers have other cable choices, and online advertising has been increasing around 20% a year for more well over a decade. Digital ads account for 22% of all U.S. advertising spending. People want free broadcast TV, but that model only works (i.e., lease spectrum, built huge public broadcast infrastructures, comply with endless FCC regulations, etc.) when all the free programming is sponsored by advertisers. I'm not sure what the future holds, but the broadcasters need to make a profit in order to pay the bills and investors.

I don't work in the Industry, but all the Industry trade rags have been stating overall broadcast advertising has been dwindling over the years. Obviously, advertisers have other cable choices, and online advertising has been increasing around 20% a year for more well over a decade. Digital ads account for 22% of all U.S. advertising spending. People want free broadcast TV, but that model only works (i.e., lease spectrum, built huge public broadcast infrastructures, comply with endless FCC regulations, etc.) when all the free programming is sponsored by advertisers. I'm not sure what the future holds, but the broadcasters need to make a profit in order to pay the bills and investors.

Well it is anything but free programming, with all the ads and retransmission fees.

Lets see according to Bloomberg CBS profits were up 11% in the 3rd Q 2013 to $3.6 billion with ad revenue of $1.86 billion an increase of 4.3%. Licensing and Distribution up 18% to $1.1 billion and retransmission fees up 23% to $611million. Sounds like they are really struggling.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-06/cbs-profit-climbs-22-on-sales-to-streaming-outlets.html

The networks have created the situation they are supposedly in with all the niche cable channels they keep creating so they can get a few more pennies out of carriage agreements and a lot more pennies out of ad sales.

Good or Bad it's time for the network broadcast landscape to change. They can take their programming to cable where they already replay a lot of it, the value won't increase and the local affiliates will find something else to slot into those few hours a day they give up to the Networks.

The current model may need to change, but it is not going to as long as billions are being made and they can lobby law makers to keep things like they are....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)