After 8 years, time to say goodbye to Dish

The Premier should get the Amazon Prime app in 2015. Dr. Who (and other BBC America titles) are available on Prime about 1 year after airing.

1 year is way too long for me for my Doctor Who. I'll gladly pony up $40-50 for a season to get it right after broadcast.

I just hope when they add the prime app they don't take away the instant video downloading.

As I said earlier, with a free proxy server you can get every BBC program right now. I did this for years before Dish, DirecTV and ultimately my cable company carried BBCA in HD. I could watch everything earlier and in HD this way (Downton Abbey, Top Gear, Doctor Who, etc.). I use ProxySwitchySharp in Chrome and find a server on the various free UK proxy lists. Chrome switches automatically when I go to a UK site. If you have slow internet, the SD version still streams pretty well. TOR also works, but is much more complicated to set up.

Those of you considering OTA on a budget, look at the $40 iView DVR or HD Homerun. I still have cable rather than OTA, but my Windows Media Center system works beautifully and is far cheaper than Tivo, especially for my 5 TV home.

Reactions: TheKrell
I just hope when they add the prime app they don't take away the instant video downloading.

For your sake, I hope so as well, but Amazon has been moving away from their "unbox" business model for a while. I do not see any download options in the Amazon app on my Roamio. It looks just like all their smart TV and blu-ray player apps.

For your sake, I hope so as well, but Amazon has been moving away from their "unbox" business model for a while. I do not see any download options in the Amazon app on my Roamio. It looks just like all their smart TV and blu-ray player apps.

I don't think you can pull down video from Amazon Instant. I've always sent the video from Amazon to my Tivo's.

There's also the old C-band argument that the time and effort spent tracking down what you want may be more costly (unless your time value is relatively low) than getting it through other means.

If you spend an hour a month chasing down something, there's a cost associated with what you could have accomplished otherwise but didn't have time for.

I don't think you can pull down video from Amazon Instant. I've always sent the video from Amazon to my Tivo's.

I don't see away to download any Amazon content I own to my Tivo on Amazon's website. Their help docs say there should be a download link, but it is not in evidence. Perhaps I am missing something?

upload_2014-11-6_9-26-12.png

Set up my new Roku 3 yesterday and am quite impressed with the quality of streaming even through my 2 mbps connection. Looked better than SD most of the time, though hardly HD. I was also surprised by how much was available on Prime streaming.

Sadly, the post office apparently tried to deliver my tivo premiere, but failed to knock on the door (my wife was home, but heard nothing), so we'll have to pick it up today.

I don't see away to download any Amazon content I own to my Tivo on Amazon's website. Their help docs say there should be a download link, but it is not in evidence. Perhaps I am missing something?

Where it says "download licences" in the bottom right?

I think you can download to the devices listed there and not to anything else.

First off, apologies for hijacking the thread.

Sure, I understand what you're saying. I have both a kindle fire and a Tivo, so shouldn't there actually be a download link? It seems to be missing.

Yep. Been there. No download link(s). I'm not that concerned, but I don't see downloading to my Tivo (or anything else) as an option for purchased content. :backontopic

Did you register your Tivo with Amazon? Because the "download licenses" button is where all my devices are listed. Although you only have a Roamio, correct? I think there may be a problem with them when there isn't an older Tivo already registered with Amazon. The Tivo Community forums is the place to find out for sure.

Even at 2Mb, Netflix isn't that bad. If you get desperate, you should give it a shot. Other streaming should be ok as well, like Daily Show. Not HD of course, but watchable.

With a free proxy, you can still get Dr Who straight from BBC, among several great shows.

Could you message me about the free proxy? I get something I pay $17.95 every three months. I'd love free.

Did you register your Tivo with Amazon? Because the "download licenses" button is where all my devices are listed. Although you only have a Roamio, correct? I think there may be a problem with them when there isn't an older Tivo already registered with Amazon. The Tivo Community forums is the place to find out for sure.

Yes, my Roamio is registered with Amazon. So it my Kindle Fire for that matter. Whatever. I was really just trying to figure out if the OP would lose download capability when the Premier gets the new Amazon app. I don't plan to download any content myself anyway.

contacted dish because of the latest dispute, and the best they offered was $5 off for 3 months. really, $15 for a customer of 9 years. they kept insisting on giving us showtime free, though, which we repeatedly refused.

because of this apathetic response, it has been decided.

we need one more tivo, and possibly one more roku. We have even added the Keedox Android box into the mix. What our testing has shown us so far is that that OTA + the free (crappy SD) cable in our area + streaming content is more than enough.

Considered doing the triple play bundle with TWC, and that may still be a possibility, but can wait.

As soon as the NFL regular season is over, we will close our account.

Last edited:
So they offered you more, then what they were paying for the channels, and what they are worth, and it was not good enough?

Reactions: KAB
So they offered you more, then what they were paying for the channels, and what they are worth, and it was not good enough?

A channel's worth always seems to change when you no longer have it. When customer are paying for these channels they are over priced but when they are missing a channel then it's worth a ton. The Turner channels we are currently missing are not worth $5 a month.

Reactions: brejust and ChadT41

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)