After 9 years and 2 months with Dish, it’s time to say goodbye

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I quess changing providers when the promos run out is a good idea if you're willing to put up with the inconvience and learning your new setup.

A little side comment about the power consumption. I beleive my two Hoppers use 96 watts each and they stay quite warm when either turned on or off. My cats loved sitting on them. This X1 Box stays ice cold. Not sure what its power consumption is. No more cat problem. Also the slave units are much faster than my old Joeys.

I quess changing providers when the promos run out is a good idea if you're willing to put up with the inconvience and learning your new setup.

A little side comment about the power consumption. I beleive my two Hoppers use 96 watts each and they stay quite warm when either turned on or off. My cats loved sitting on them. This X1 Box stays ice cold. Not sure what its power consumption is. No more cat problem. Also the slave units are much faster than my old Joeys.
You should have waited for the Hopper 3. But, I can understand if you have a bundle discount. However, Hopper 3 is super FAST and the Joeys are fast too, especially the 4K Joey. The H3 is cool too, I have mine in a ventilated AV cabinet stays much cooler than the H2 did.

I think after 15 plus years, I'm finally gonna make the change next week. Cox finally made me a good offer. Equivalent of AT200 with the same 100MB internet service I have for $85 a month less than I'm paying for cox and dish separately. Probably closer to $75 after taxes. I have Lifetime Tivo Roamio and Mini's so no equipment fees. I'll put dish on pause for now, in case I'm not happy with Cox

Good luck with Directv.

ETA: That wasn't sarcasm. Hope they can provide what you need.

I've been a long term Dish user (18+ years) and quite honestly never took much advantage of Dish promotions until their first DVR came out. A little over 3 years ago I was forced into retirement and needed to do a reassessment of my expenses. I called the folks at Dish and asked what they could do to lower my costs. Well that brought about my first Hopper and two Joey's at a cost for two years that was lower than what Direct could offer me with similar service, and less than I was paying at that time. Fast forward 2 years from that point and again I went back to Dish after getting another highly discounted offer from Direct. Again Dish stepped forward and upgraded me to a Hopper w/sling and two wireless Joeys at a cost that matched Direct's offer for the same time period. So to my surprise again after 7 months Dish has stepped forward and put in a Hopper 3 for extending my existing agreement with a required maintenance agreement for 6 months. Bottom line I'm still paying less for the same programming package and new equipment, than I was paying for 2 pre Hopper DVR's.

I've come to learn that Dish does take care of its long term customers and it's just a matter of asking and telling them what the competition has offered you in detail. I'm always surprised when calling them when the person answering the phone says, wow you've been with us a long time! It's just a matter of treating the folks you talk to with respect and product loyalty.

Jack

About 2 weeks ago I was going to do the same thing. The cause was a dispute with a Dish Network policy and the way I was notified.
But after talking with a cooler head I realized that I would most likely I would have the same problem with Direct TV, Comcast or whom
ever I would go with.

Short of ditching all paid TV service the only thing left would OTA. I don't watch OTA TV. So I decided to stay where I was, with Dish Network.
As someone else said the grass may not be greener on the other side of the fence.

Good luck with you move to Direct TV.

Reactions: Tampa8
I'll just add another post to this thread even though I know that no one cares whether or not I leave Dish Network.

DISH we came together in 2005 ... the warmth you gave me knowing that my shows would be waiting for me on my DishPlayer 625 when I came home from work left me feeling good. I forgot about all those advertisements that previously bombarded me while watching my favorite shows. Many shows came and went, and over the years I feel that we have drifted apart. The hardware is awesome but the substance in our relationship has fizzled out. I've lost all interest in you and I find myself spending more and more time with the younger, more sleek Internet. The Internet provides me with almost everything that you Dish Network used to provide me with on a daily basis and much much more. I think it's almost time for us to get that divorce but I'm waiting out that prenup I signed before you were installed. It's not you, it's me. Who knows I might change my mind in the near future. ;)

Seriously though, I just feel indifferent to what is on TV these days and the stuff I do watch usually is available through HULU or Netflix the season after it airs on TV. It seems like I could be saving a boatload of money by dropping DISH.

Reactions: dalyew
I can't imagine switching to DTV, especially at this time. Be careful, you call a DTV CSR and ask them the time of day and you'll be in a new 2 years contract... The H3 is so much better than the Genie, and with them charging a "1st receiver fee" and charging for HD... etc, they will cost more in the end.

The talk around my office is that ATnT will kill DTV, yes it is made half jokingly, but not entirely.

They are both good products, but at the moment especially, Dish kicks DTV's butt. I hope you are happy with the change, let us know.

Dish has been good for the past 15 plus years, but they can't beat the bundles some cable companies offer. I wouldn't switch if I didn't already have my Tivos as the H3 is the best out there. Tivo is very close and for $80 a month less than I'm paying for Cox and Dish separately, I have to make the switch to Cox.

For me it's all about cost and perceived value. I'm perfectly happy with my 722 and 211 but there just isn't anything else to cut. Going to the H3 and Joey will actually raise my bill.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

In most cases, after the 1st year, "bundles" don't save anything. Around here, people will commonly pay ~$200/month for bundled Comcast, and they don't even have HD or DVR at all TVs... They switch to Dish and get HD DVR everywhere and pay less overall.

Reactions: satjay
I've got no contract deal from Cox. 1st year $99, 2nd year $119 and then $139 after that. Still cheaper than paying Dish and Cox separately.

This will give me a year or so to see what happens with 4k. I figure I'll be back with Dish eventually. I'm only going to put my Dish on pause for now just in case I have problem.

Already had problem as the cable tuner was bad in one of my Tivos. Fortunately I had a 2nd Roamio to switch too for the cable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)