after carbon update for HWS, can't access DVR of original hopper

niceguypmp3

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 4, 2013
south central iowa
My HWS updated to Carbon and now I can't access the recordings on my wife's original hopper. I'm assuming that's because the original hopper hasn't updated to Carbon yet. Is that update ever going to happen? At this point, I'm just waiting for the new switch to be released that will allow a H3 to access the dvr of my HWS. As soon as that can happen, i'll upgrade the original hopper to an H3.

Both must speak "Carbon" to talk to each other. Turn off everything, maybe unplug any Joeys. And it will "update" (downgrade, IMHO). Eventually.

Reactions: Hall
Both hoppers are always off every night and we don't have any joey's anymore. Has Carbon been released for the original Hopper yet? Besides, i can't find the directions on here on how to force the hopper to update, which wouldn't do any good if it's not available for it yet. We're just kinda unhappy that now with only the HWS updated to Carbon, that we can't access eachother's DVR recordings. That was something we used to love doing!

Here are the instructions to force the Carbon update on your second Hopper:

Using your Hopper Remote do the following:
- Press Menu
- Select Settings
- Select Diagnostics
- Select Updates
- Press the Play button twice
- Press Recall
- Select Download Now
- Let it do its thing, do not interrupt it.

Reactions: niceguypmp3
Where are the instructions for PREVENTING the Carbon download, forever?
;)
airplane7.jpg

Reactions: charlesrshell
So... whatever happened to the Dec 22 forced download of Carbon to all Hoppers??

False alarm, and I do mean ALARM!

Those tha have the Carbon interface should keep it and serve as Beta Testers for Dish until it's fixed (includes ALL features of the current interface plus whatever - not having missing features).

Reactions: charlesrshell
The ability to record on HWS 2 when the tuners on HWS 1 are occupied is a MAJOR feature for me.

Reactions: calbbs
The more that I read all of the problems with the carbon interface, I am so happy that I have the reliable old interface for my 2 hopper with sling and joey 2.

Hopefully, Dish will eliminate the bugs before they force us to upgrade.

Reactions: navychop
The more that I read all of the problems with the carbon interface, I am so happy that I have the reliable old interface for my 2 hopper with sling and joey 2.

Hopefully, Dish will eliminate the bugs before they force us to upgrade.

Yea, I read of so many people having problems with their cars that I'm very happy I still have my horse and buggy. :biggrin

Last edited:
alright, forced the update on the hopper. the hoppers can see eachother's recordings again now! yay! now my wife can check it out and see if she has any complaints about it lol. I told her it might be slow, but she wanted to be able to see the recordings. Crossing my fingers that it won't be That bad....

alright, forced the update on the hopper. the hoppers can see eachother's recordings again now! yay! now my wife can check it out and see if she has any complaints about it lol. I told her it might be slow, but she wanted to be able to see the recordings. Crossing my fingers that it won't be That bad....

Good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)