Aiming dish for Dishnetwork HD package.

Arrow

Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
Maryland
Hello to all. First time caller with a quick question. I'm about to purchase an 811 to pick up Dish network's HD package only. I won't be needing the 811's OTA tuner, as my Hitachi 65xwx20B's internal tuner and attic mounted Silver Sensor are a great match for all of my local OTA HD broadcast. I canceled my Directv about a year ago, but left my sat. dish mounted in place on my deck post. Would I be able to aim this (standard) dish to receive the HD package via the 811, or should I replace it with the Dish500? I wasn't sure if the Dishnetwork HD package programming is coming from one sat or multiple sat's. Also, does anyone happen to know the proper coordinates for my area? Upper Marlboro Maryland 20772. Thanks in advance for your help :)

the direct tv dish would work but only for one dish sat, so you need the dish 500 to pick up both 110 and 119. the 119 carries most regular sub channels and 110 carries a few others and lots of ppv. Think they have most hd mirrored on the 110 now. if they give you the cbs hd may need a second dish pointed at 61.5 E or 148 W. dish 500 coordinates for zip 20772: azimuth- 240, elevation angle- 30, skew angle- 127

Thanks for the advice guys. So I'll just leave up the dish I've got and aim it according to dssturbo1's coordinates for the 110 to pick up the HD package only. Down the road, should I decide to go with more channels, I'll spring for a Dish500 to get the other sats. homed in. What website are you going to to get the aiming coordinates?

Unh - you were given D500 coordinates. They are NOT quite correct for a D300 - or D* dish. And there's no skew on a single bird DBS dish.

There ARE web sites to get some numbers, but it's best to use your receiver to get the correct ones for your zip code, already adjusted for magnetic deviation and such.

The web sites are good for checking line of sight, but I always use the Point Dish screen for the actual setup.

yes as i noted in the reply those are for a dish 500 and got them using my dish peak angles screen. here are the dish 300 coordinates for you (same as using a direct tv 18 round dish), sat 110, zip code 20772: Azimuth angle 236 and elevation angle 33. use the dish signal pointing screen to tune for max signal. use transponders 11 or 12, get best signal and then do a switch test.

Software

New house wiring questions and "OTA-only" 811

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)