Aiming T90

Status
Please reply by conversation.

glen4cindy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
St. Louis MO, area
Assuming I want to see from 83 to 123, this would put AMC 1 as my central or 0 satellite.

I looked on the SatLex Digital website listed on Sadoun's website and got this handy printout that shows where each LNB needs to go.

Here is where the problem comes in.

I don't want AMC 1 if I can't have AMC 4 and G 25. I'm not really that hip on AMC 1 so, would it work just to put an LNB there to get things set and then move it over to AMC 4?

Also, the SatLex site does not give me the Azimuth to aim the dish at. It gives me the TILT which seems to me to be the same as SKEW. It also gives the ELEVATION of the dish. Do I have to calculate the azimuth based on the center of the dish being zero and point that at AMC 1?

Ice, I'm also interested in what you use to weather-proof your 4x4's and DiSEqC switches. I also notice that you have 87 and 89. How do you get this close spacing? I thought because of the size of the LNB's 4 was the minimum, though the website I looked at said 3.

Thanks.

Last edited:
The azimuth will be the same as for any dish use this site to get it:
GeoSatFinder - Satellite Finder Calculator - Satellite AV
Looks like 202° on the compass.
To set up a T-90, you need to set the elevation with an inclinometer prior to setting the tilt (skew). Once you get both of those set you will need to sweep from left to right and back until you find the satellite. With 15.5° of skew it will be pointing to a place in the sky that is different than your eye will tell you. It is tricky but with patience you will find the satellite. You will be able to move your LNBF when you have it sited in.
Bob

... you have 87 and 89. How do you get this close spacing?

I have 91 and 93, and just recently added 105 by 103.

I would recommend attempting 2 degree spacing only after you are well aligned, because there is a measure of signal sacrifice involved and it is likely to confound the alignment. That being said - I have shaved and sanded LNB holders which were not meant to be tampered with. There is stressed metal where there is meant to be no such thing. Epoxy when no epoxy is called for in the original spec. And not to be taken lightly, LNBs pointed at sub-optimal positions into the secondary reflector. Galaxy 11 seemed to be a shade stronger than Galaxy 26 - so I optimize for the weaker 26 and jam, shimmy, and brutalize 11's LNB (and both holders) until something acceptable happens. But I'm that sort of guy. Perhaps someone else has a more elegant solution?

For those of you that have a t90 dish, I am thinking about replacing my motorized with a t90 so I can have 3 receivers independently use the dish.

I have to have 123 so that limits me to 83 on the other end. This only lets me use 8 LNBF units. Is there any way to get more LNB's and if so, how would you do it?

Say I was to add a Primestar dish to pick up things below 83 and maybe something west of 83 that I cannot fit on the t90, how is that done while still having 1 coax feeding each receiver?

Are there certain Standard dual LNBF units that are as small as possible? I have nothing between 105 and 119. I might not even do 119 because I have NASA on DTV, but I still cannot go without 123! I could have a dish only for 123, but, how would I add more than the 8 I plan to use for the T90?

I'm glad there are no dumb questions here because I sure am asking alot of them for this T90 adventure!

I have mine pointed at an imaginary central satellite @ 92.5w (of course theirs nothing there). On the L side I use 72, 74, 79, 83, 87, and 89 (note72-74 and 87-89 are next to each other and do OK). On the R side I use 93, 97, 101, and 103 (note 101-103 are next to each other and do OK). On a separate dish (Primestar 1m Oval), I use 119, 123, and 129. That is 13 lnbf's on six 4x4 multi-switches feeding two Emp-Centauri 8x1 Commited/Uncommitted DiSeQc switches, going to 2 receivers (Coolsat 5000) that handle 1.1 DiSeQc commands. Occassionally it won't switch or just don't pick up some sats, but usually works fine. I'm considering going to powered multi-switches and that should solve that problem?
I use ASC322 Twin Ku-Band LNBF's and a newer version JSC322 Twin Ku-Band LNBF's.
I have some Eagle Aspen P870 FSS Stacked LNB's, but I'm not using them. They are a little slimmer, but there is no easy mounting solution for these. I have tried one and it works. With these there is the possibillity of doubling the number of LNB's?
You have a lot of potential possibillities ahead of you.....

Edit: the reason I have it centered like this, is I used to use 113 on the far side of R....
and I'm also I'm using the Vertical only with one lnbf and the Horizontal only with another lnbf, feeding one of my 4x4 multi-switches. That makes it appear like there are only 12 lnbf's....

Last edited:
I have mine pointed at an imaginary central satellite @ 92.5w (of course theirs nothing there). On the L side I use 72, 74, 79, 83, 87, and 89 (note72-74 and 87-89 are next to each other and do OK). On the R side I use 93, 97, 101, and 103 (note 101-103 are next to each other and do OK). On a separate dish (Primestar 1m Oval), I use 119, 123, and 129. That is 13 lnbf's on six 4x4 multi-switches feeding two Emp-Centauri 8x1 Commited/Uncommitted DiSeQc switches, going to 2 receivers (Coolsat 5000) that handle 1.1 DiSeQc commands. Occassionally it won't switch or just don't pick up some sats, but usually works fine. I'm considering going to powered multi-switches and that should solve that problem?
I use ASC322 Twin Ku-Band LNBF's and a newer version JSC322 Twin Ku-Band LNBF's.
I have some Eagle Aspen P870 FSS Stacked LNB's, but I'm not using them. They are a little slimmer, but there is no easy mounting solution for these. I have tried one and it works. With these there is the possibillity of doubling the number of LNB's?
You have a lot of potential possibillities ahead of you.....

Edit: the reason I have it centered like this, is I used to use 113 on the far side of R....
and I'm also I'm using the Vertical only with one lnbf and the Horizontal only with another lnbf, feeding one of my 4x4 multi-switches. That makes it appear like there are only 12 lnbf's....

How do you handle switching between so many LNB's?

I understand Iceberg's instructions to use DiSEqC to do 1-4 22KHz off and 1-4 kHz on. One of my STB's has tone a and tone b in that 1-4 DiSEqC but only one of them.

Would the Sadoun LNBF shown below fit with 3 to 4 degrees of spacing?

I would love to see your switch wiring diagram!

Attachments

• 26cb_1_b.JPG
    26cb_1_b.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 114
I also use an EMP Centauri P168 8x1, but driven by the 1.2 protocol. On most of those ports is a regular diseqc 4x1 driven by the 1.0 protocol. This gives a possible 32 LNB ports to one receiver. I'm only using about 18 or so of them right now, most on the T90, several routed to fixed dishes. One caveat is that this arrangement does not work on the Fortec, but it does work on the Viewsat. I have not investigated why, and cannot predict compatibility with any particular receiver with any certainty.

I put multiple output LNBs where ever I need to feed that signal into another receiver, and essentially duplicate the wiring. I initially avoided multi-switches because I could not find any that would handle this many LNBs, and I seem to recall many of them used 22kHz in their switching schemes. That would conflict with my cheap supply of universals, the way it is set up now does not.

That Sadoun lnbf will work, and it may get a slightly better (meaning less) than 3 degree spacing. But, that's sort of moot when you have 2 degree spacing? With those Sadoun lnbf's you can get 2 side by side for 2 degree spacing, but you can't get 3 in a row over 6 degrees.
My receiver (Coolsat 5000) will handle 1.1 protocal DiSeQc commands. It's not the same as your typical DiSeQc (1.0 protocal) ports 1-4? I've gone 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, then 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, and 2-4. I don't know how far it will go, but it has numerical numbers up to 16 listed? And, you have to have an Uncommitted DiSeQc switch to make it work.
I don't have a diagram, sorry.....

That Sadoun lnbf will work, and it may get a slightly better (meaning less) than 3 degree spacing. But, that's sort of moot when you have 2 degree spacing? With those Sadoun lnbf's you can get 2 side by side for 2 degree spacing, but you can't get 3 in a row over 6 degrees.
My receiver (Coolsat 5000) will handle 1.1 protocal DiSeQc commands. It's not the same as your typical DiSeQc (1.0 protocal) ports 1-4? I've gone 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, then 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, and 2-4. I don't know how far it will go, but it has numerical numbers up to 16 listed? And, you have to have an Uncommitted DiSeQc switch to make it work.
I don't have a diagram, sorry.....

According to the specs, my Classic NA supports 1.0/1.2, but, it too only has positions 1-4 with 22kHz on and 1-4 with 22kHz off. I'm thinking that DiSEqc 1.1 refers to switching while 1.2/1.3 refers to motors. I don't want to have to replace my equipment to get 16 LNB's!

I need to figure out if I can run with more than 8 LNB's to get everything I want, if not, I'll have to stick with my motorized system. I'm also afraid that I'm gonna spend all this money, and then lose G10R to S2, which would really stink! The LNB's are going to run around $175 for 10, $270 for the dish, then I have the 4x4's to buy and the DiSEqC's to buy!

Last edited:
Since you mention G-10R and DVB-S2, there is a possibility that we will all require slightly larger dishes to reliably receive G-10R once the S2 switch is made. That would mean you'd have to have a dedicated dish for 123w, which could free up more space toward the east on your T-90 setup. Just a thought...

Is LNBF skew a factor in setting up a T90 or does the dish skew to line up the LNBF bar to the belt take care of the skew too?

IF you still have to skew the LNBF, that would limit how close you could put 2 LNBF to each other.

You skew the whole dish to begin with to take care of the different elevations and the skew. But you can also skew the LNB's for more fine tuning.

You can do 2 degrees but as noted above, it takes some fabrication. I've used the stacked LNB's which can wedge in between 2 LNB's that are already 4 degrees apart. Check out this thread
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...ot-t90-dish-back-up-now-2-degree-spacing.html

and this thread that shows pics :)
http://www.satelliteguys.us/1023942-post45.html

at one point I did have 72 74 79 85 87 89 91 93 97 99 101 107 110 on one dish

Well, I pulled the trigger and have started buying equipment for my T90. I found an EBay auction where Sadoun was selling 10 dual standard LNBF for 12.00 each! I have also bid on 4 4x4 multiswitches. We will see how that goes.

I am going to have 83 as my far east and 123 as my far west with 87, 97, 101, 105 and 119 as my middle LNBF's. 103 is the center, so once I get that peaked correctly, I'm going to move it to 105. This leaves me 1 more slot and I cannot decide on 91 or 93.

What would be a good 8th LNB out of 91 and 93? I also think 105 is better than 103 which is why I plan to peak 103 first, then 83 and 123, then move the 103 to 105.

As far as the 4x4's go, I have read that they only power the 1 LNBF that is selected. I hope this means that my Twinhan card will have no issues with all the switches I'm going to have in the mix. If power is going to be a problem, do they make powered 4x4 multiswitches?

Also, I am going to assume that I can get by with a standard circular LNBF for 119 since I am only aiming at that one for NASA and I don't have a subbed receiver to worry about, is that correct? If I decide against NASA which I might, what in your opinion would be a great satellite to use that is inbetween 105 and 123?

Thanks.

I am going to have 83 as my far east and 123 as my far west with 87, 97, 101, 105 and 119 as my middle LNBF's. 103 is the center, so once I get that peaked correctly, I'm going to move it to 105. This leaves me 1 more slot and I cannot decide on 91 or 93.
93 has news feeds and Doc Scott. 91 has a bunch of feeds but not alot 24/7 on there.

What would be a good 8th LNB out of 91 and 93? I also think 105 is better than 103 which is why I plan to peak 103 first, then 83 and 123, then move the 103 to 105.
me personally would choose 91 but you can try either one

As far as the 4x4's go, I have read that they only power the 1 LNBF that is selected. I hope this means that my Twinhan card will have no issues with all the switches I'm going to have in the mix. If power is going to be a problem, do they make powered 4x4 multiswitches?
both LNB's will work fine and are powered.

Also, I am going to assume that I can get by with a standard circular LNBF for 119 since I am only aiming at that one for NASA and I don't have a subbed receiver to worry about, is that correct? If I decide against NASA which I might, what in your opinion would be a great satellite to use that is inbetween 105 and 123?

Thanks.

the only thing is if you use a standard LNB the polarity will be backwards

between 105 & 123? not much
107 & 111 are mainly starchoice satellites
113 & 116 don't have much

If you want to do 2 dishes, I would personally do 72-112 on the T90 and G10 on a separate dish...79 & 74 got some good stuff and you wont have that wasteland between 103/105 & 119 :)

If you want to do 2 dishes, I would personally do 72-112 on the T90 and G10 on a separate dish...79 & 74 got some good stuff and you wont have that wasteland between 103/105 & 119 :)

How hard would 72-112 be seeing there is nothing at 92 or 112? Even if I use 111 as my end point, is there a signal that can at lease be locked onto just for aiming purposes? That would put my middle at 91.5 which would be close to G 11, but, if I zero in on G11, that will put me off at 72 by some.

I would choose 72 as my eastern most, but, I just don't know how I would get the rest of them in that way. What if I did 85 for my center and 105 for my western? Then, it might be easier to get 72 lined up as my eastern. I would actually move the 85 to 87 once I got the dish aligned, because I know I want 87 for sure.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't like to idea of such a lopsided setup with nothing from 105 to 123, but I had planned to try something to keep my motorized system so I didn't lose the eastern birds.

Thanks for having patience with me on this.

Last edited:
How hard would 72-112 be seeing there is nothing at 92 or 112? Even if I use 111 as my end point, is there a signal that can at lease be locked onto just for aiming purposes? That would put my middle at 91.5 which would be close to G 11, but, if I zero in on G11, that will put me off at 72 by some.
you could do 91 as the middle.....all it does then is make your end points technically 71 & 111. I used 93 as its my true south (no skew needed) and did 72,74,79,85,89,93,97,101,107,111 with no issues. They say 40 degree spread but I did get 47 with some fabrication and using 119 as the end :)

You also dont need to use the whole 40 degrees. You could do 72-105 but using 40 degrees is easier

I would choose 72 as my eastern most, but, I just don't know how I would get the rest of them in that way. What if I did 85 for my center and 105 for my western? Then, it might be easier to get 72 lined up as my eastern. I would actually move the 85 to 87 once I got the dish aligned, because I know I want 87 for sure.
that would work. The possibilities are endless. I needed 111 for my Starchoice subscription.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't like to idea of such a lopsided setup with nothing from 105 to 123, but I had planned to try something to keep my motorized system so I didn't lose the eastern birds.
I thought the same. But doing 107, 111, 123 on one side kinda sucked so thats why I did 72-111.

Thanks for having patience with me on this.

thats what we're here for :)

Originally I did 83-123 (from my review)
me said:
I wanted G10 for sure so I knew the farthest I could go on the other side was AMC9 at 83.
Since I wanted to get from 85-123 I used 83 in the setup which gave me 103 as my “center” LNB. I felt it was easier to use an exiting satellite and not “104" when I said I wanted 85-123.

but then changed it a week later ;)
me said:
Switched from 83-123 and decided that 123 signal wasnt good enough so I'll use a separate dish for that

Picked 93 since that is my true south the skew was like +.38
So when completed I'll have
72, 74, 79, 85 (or 83), 89, 93, 97, 101, 103, 107, 110, 119

47 degree spread and 12 LNB's...pretty nifty

but I needed to add a piece of wood to get 119 on the dish at the time ;)

Attachments

• IM000935p.JPG
    IM000935p.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 178
I'm finding my problem is that I can only get 8 LNBF's. Without different equipment, I cannot do DiSEqC 1.1. (I'd have to know how to re-write the .bin file to add 1.1 support!)

If I used my true south as my center like you did, that would put me 71-111 with 91 as my central. That would be doable too I suppose. That would give me .66 of skew.

I still want 123 too so, that will have to be a different dish I suppose.

What is 111.1, TP 11847V 5673? It does not show on Lyngsat.

Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)