Help with aiming at Galaxy 19

AZ1234

Original poster
Apr 9, 2022
Arizona
Hi. I just got a 39” dish from GeosatPro. The LNB that it came with is a GeosatPro SL1PLL. These are the settings that DishPointer gives me for Galaxy 19 Ku:
Elevation: 45.3
Azimuth (true): 152.0
Azimuth (magn.): 141.1
Skew: -22.6

The closet labeled number for skew is 25, so I set it just to the left of that. I used my phone’s compass app to set it to 141.1. When I raise the dish to around 45 degrees, the strength goes up by about 5-7 percent and the quality stays at 30 percent (that’s the quality my V8 finder gives when it’s connected to an LNB with no satellite).

I am using a V8 Finder. My LNB frequency is 10750 per the LNB’s box. I’m using transponder 12150. 22K is on.

Thank you.

Use the transponder on 12152 H 20000. You don't need the 22K for a standard LNB. Your required elevation is 45 degrees but on an offset dish that means the dish face should be about 20 degrees (plus or minus) up from vertical. Can you attach a photo? You may have LNB skew backwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: FTA4PA
When I raise the dish to around 45 degrees, the strength goes up by about 5-7 percent and the quality stays at 30 percent (that’s the quality my V8 finder gives when it’s connected to an LNB with no satellite)
That's weird, I wouldn't expect ANY quality reading if not pointing at a satellite with the selected transponder active. If you do a blind scan while at that position, do you pick up any transponders? If you do, we might be able to figure out where you're pointed and which way you need to move from there. (FWIW, I have yet to see a phone whose compass was in any way stable and accurate --- but I also buy the cheapest phones I can find...)

Agree with Jim S, never had an app that displayed a compass or angles with enough accuracy to use for aiming a dish. I'm sure there may be some out there just have not seen one. I use a regular compass and a Johnson angle locater (less than $20 total for both) and have had no issues with aiming. Just my two cents. :rolleyes

Amazon product ASIN B07FXH2CPTView: https://www.amazon.com/Orienteering-Compass-Waterproof-Navigation-Backpacking/dp/B07FXH2CPT

Amazon product ASIN B00004T807View: https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Level-Tool-700-Magnetic/dp/B00004T807

Reactions: Keith Brannen
Use the transponder on 12152 H 20000. You don't need the 22K for a standard LNB. Your required elevation is 45 degrees but on an offset dish that means the dish face should be about 20 degrees (plus or minus) up from vertical. Can you attach a photo? You may have LNB skew backwards.
Checking GeoSatFinder - Satellite Finder Calculator - Satellite AV shows that for places in Arizona 45.3 would be the correct setting for an offset dish.

Checking GeoSatFinder - Satellite Finder Calculator - Satellite AV shows that for places in Arizona 45.3 would be the correct setting for an offset dish.
I agree. It's just that he said he "raised the dish to 45 degrees...". I wondered if he meant he raised it according to the scale on his dish which is correct for the offset or he raised it literally to point the dish too high with the dish face facing at 45 degrees.

I always use my smartphone compass app. It is accurate enough. When orienting the dish looking for a satellite, I always move the dish very slowly in azimuth and elevation plus or minus a lot around the correct azimuth and elevation. So the exact compass reading isn't so important.

Skewing the LNB in the wrong direction is an easy mistake to make for anybody.

Very true. I set up an 8' dish on 58W recently to catch some international news about what was happening in Ukraine. Used the compass and angle locator mentioned above and knew I was there but my meter would only get a lock for just a fraction of a second then lose it. This happened over and over no matter how much I fine tuned the dish. Then it hit me - did I skew the lnbf in the right direction? Rotated it the opposite way to the same degree setting and bang! Strong, solid lock! Very easy to overlook something simple so always good to point it out. :)

Reactions: Keith Brannen
I agree. It's just that he said he "raised the dish to 45 degrees...". I wondered if he meant he raised it according to the scale on his dish which is correct for the offset or he raised it literally to point the dish too high with the dish face facing at 45 degrees.

I always use my smartphone compass app. It is accurate enough. When orienting the dish looking for a satellite, I always move the dish very slowly in azimuth and elevation plus or minus a lot around the correct azimuth and elevation. So the exact compass reading isn't so important.

OK, that makes more sense, once fully explained, LOL! As far as the skew, that is definitely an easy mistake to make, fortunately, for me, I can always cheat and look at my other fixed LNBs for the correct positioning!

Reactions: FTA4PA
Here are some photos of the elevation on part A (left side of dish) and part B (right side of dish). A picture of the skew is also attached. I appreciate everyone’s help!

9B55FDF0-D813-40CD-8DA3-F4D71B6F9A68.jpeg

0937D28B-A14E-45C1-8099-BE53B8690651.jpeg

A79AAC01-A350-4FF2-897A-58DC4476246C.jpeg

Unless they've changed it, the elevation marker isn't the bolt, it's the edge of the bracket in front of the bolt on Side A. (This differs from some other brands, but it should be in the instructions.)

Reactions: KE4EST
Update: I did a blind scan and got 8 channels. Most of them are NS Ch#, but one is called FLCH and another is called Lottery-HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)