Aiming the dish for 119

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Proc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
Motown
Since my D* upgrade to HD a few weeks ago, I have had 2 brain surgeon techs out who tell me that due to a tree partially in the way, I can't get in the 119 satellite that well. Depending on the day, it come in with transponder strengths from 35 up to 62%. In the 60s the picture stays, below that it just searches for a signal.

My question is...it appears that 119 must be further in the southwest sky than 101 and 110, both of which I get in perfectly with high-strenth, signal-wise on all transponders. I asked the tech if we were to move the dish to the garage roof, which is 60 ft. behind the house, if that would clear up the problem. He told me that the tree would still be an issue (I think he just wanted to leave to coach his team's football game). Should I call and try to get D* out again? This would be the third time, but I really think the garage roof would work or am I just blowin' smoke tring to be hopeful?

Welcome to SatelltieGuys! Sorry but it is very difficult to answer this question with out actually being there to see the particular situation.

keep in mind the 119 sat is alot lower the the 101 and 110.In my area it is about 26 degrees high.Is there a way to get infront of the tree.How about a pole mount.

Thanks for your replies. It is true, without seeing the setup, its hard to tell if moving the dish would work or not.

I have small brick bungalow that faces due west (here in the suburbs of Detroit). The dish is on the southeast side of the roof and faces the southwest. The tree that is in the way is in my neighbors yard, out near the street, about 40 yards away. Today, I was getting 119 on the transponders in the 51-60 range. It kept the picture longer than usual. Most days its in the 40s.

If 119 is lower in the sky, that could be why the tree is causing the problem and may continue to do so.

I will probably keep D* (which I've had happily for 2 years until the HD upgrade and this 119 issue) until after football season and possibly (I dread the thought) go back to cable.

Any word on whether programming on 119 will switch to 99 and 103 with the MPEG-4 upgrade? That would help me out bigtime.

Proc said:
Thanks for your replies. It is true, without seeing the setup, its hard to tell if moving the dish would work or not.

I have small brick bungalow that faces due west (here in the suburbs of Detroit). The dish is on the southeast side of the roof and faces the southwest. The tree that is in the way is in my neighbors yard, out near the street, about 40 yards away. Today, I was getting 119 on the transponders in the 51-60 range. It kept the picture longer than usual. Most days its in the 40s.

If 119 is lower in the sky, that could be why the tree is causing the problem and may continue to do so.

I will probably keep D* (which I've had happily for 2 years until the HD upgrade and this 119 issue) until after football season and possibly (I dread the thought) go back to cable.

Any word on whether programming on 119 will switch to 99 and 103 with the MPEG-4 upgrade? That would help me out bigtime.

I have a similar problem with trees on both sides of the dish pattern in the wooded area in which we live. I got around the tree blocking 119, at least until MPEG-4, by using two offset dishes. Dish 1, my old single LNB, is pointed at 101 and dish 2, my HD 3 LNB, is offset just far enough to the east to clear the 119 blocking tree. Cover the 101 LNB on the 3 LNB with foil to disable it (looking from the rear, the right LNB). Use a ZINWELL SAM-6802 Multi-Switch to connect the two dishes to the receiver/s. Instructions come with the switch. This particular switch passes the 22 khz signal and is compatible with the DirecTV dish. Happy to report it worked great for tree lover me.

Thanks all for replies...e-mail, etc.

I have solved my 119 satellite problem.

Due to the tree issue, I had the dish moved from the house/roof to garage where there is a clear line of sight. Although I wasn't happy to have coax run from the house back to the garage, it works. Signals all in the 90s now. :D

My next door neighbor (and friend) had a lot of trouble with 119 from his house. The only way to get all three satellites was to mount the dish on MY house :eek:

Proc said:

I was hoping someone would answer this one. I heard that programming on 119 would eventually go away...is that true? My situtation is such that I'll NEVER be able to get 119, but I can get 101-110 just fine. Any input is much appreciated!

directv will never give up its full conus slots. ever.

we hear the 95 and 72.5 are going bye-bye and those programs are moving to the 119 and 110, simple one dish solution for all programming.

the 119 in my mind would be all international. the 110 would carry full footprint hd network programming.

just a theory, but it works!

Last edited:
dragon002 said:
directv will never give up its full conus slots. ever.
we hear the 95 and 72.5 are going bye-bye and those programs are moving to the 119 and 110, simple one dish solution for all programming.
the 119 in my mind would be all international. the 110 would carry full footprint hd network programming.
just a theory, but it works!

keep in mind that thats only when Analog local channels shut down in 2009 ;)

hdtvtechno said:
keep in mind that thats only when Analog local channels shut down in 2009 ;)
HD,
directv still OWNS the slots.
the sats dont produce HD or MPEG4 they REPEAT IT
directv WILL deliver 99,101,103,110,119 long after we are gone!
my own thoughts are....
99 east coast hd LIL and on demand and east coast hd premiums
101 CORE programming, as it will ALWAYS be.
103 west coast LIL and on demand and west coast hd premiums
110 all full conus hd national networks and national hd premiums
119 all foreign language programming. as no law says it has to be hd
sell the r*ts *ss 72 to ergen...hell he'd love that
along with that loser the 95
i may be wrong, but this is a one dish solution and the 2nd generation 5 lnb dish is smaller than this one
your thoughts??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts