Air conditioner freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
How very true :)

And let's face facts, most renters are either (a) young couples just starting out (Oh how I wish I could find one of those), (b) senior citizen who just had a spouse die and can't afford to maintain the old house, or (c) single mothers.

Don't laugh, the leading candidate for the next tenant is a gay guy and his b/f. The funny thing is he has absolutely NO problem with the one bedroom being painted violet (insert joke/comment at ANY time...LOL).
Yah right! There are plenty of ways to only rent to whom you want. The main thing is have them fill out a credit application. If you don't want them and they have the slightest ding on their credit, boom! You don't want to take the credit risk. That is legal.

Now that would be funny to see you do that as a rental property owner, probably last only about after the first or second single parent went to the states fair housing commision or renters rights board and ou found yourself standing before a judge, you cant discriminate against children when renting, leasing, or selling a property just as you cant against anyone else based on race, religion, creed, or sexual preference.

Bullsh!t. Tight requirements on credit approval, and keeping the rent high will weed out the non hackers. Besides, I'm not stupid enough to tell that to a potential renter. Another simple way to do it is just not call them back. :hatsoff:

Hell, just advertising it high would be enough it a lot of cases.

How very true :)

And let's face facts, most renters are either (a) young couples just starting out (Oh how I wish I could find one of those), (b) senior citizen who just had a spouse die and can't afford to maintain the old house, or (c) single mothers.

Don't laugh, the leading candidate for the next tenant is a gay guy and his b/f. The funny thing is he has absolutely NO problem with the one bedroom being painted violet (insert joke/comment at ANY time...LOL).

That gay dude will likely take good care of your place. If they are well qualified, I'd be tempted to make em a deal to get them in there. :up

Yah right! There are plenty of ways to only rent to whom you want. The main thing is have them fill out a credit application. If you don't want them and they have the slightest ding on their credit, boom! You don't want to take the credit risk. That is legal.

Exactly.

:hatsoff:

Who the hell would rent without a credit app anyway? Landlording is way to risky to be trusting people. One nut job will put you in a serious hole.

That gay dude will likely take good care of your place. If they are well qualified, I'd be tempted to make em a deal to get them in there. :up

It's looking like they'll get a deal. Willing to forgo most, if not all of the security deposit in lieu of them patching up the place (holes in the wall...crayola marks on the wall...torn screens). Ugh. What a nightmare.

It's looking like they'll get a deal. Willing to forgo most, if not all of the security deposit in lieu of them patching up the place (holes in the wall...crayola marks on the wall...torn screens). Ugh. What a nightmare.

They're gonna pimp your house, you know that right? My man went out and found not one, but TWO Martha Stewarts to move in. I salute you!

They're gonna pimp your house, you know that right? My man went out and found not one, but TWO Martha Stewarts to move in. I salute you!

LOL!!!

As long as they don't place any pink flamingos in the front yard or hang up any rainbow flags, I'm just about cool with just about any sort of pimping out. :p

LOL!!!

As long as they don't place any pink flamingos in the front yard or hang up any rainbow flags, I'm just about cool with just about any sort of pimping out. :p

While they're not for me, pink flamingos and rainbow fags......errr, flags send out a happy message......don't they? :eek: lol:D

It'll work until you run into the wrong person whom you tell that they have a poor credit score, then if they take it to a legal action you then have to show that you have kept every other person that has rented said property to the same exact standards.

Bullsh!t. Tight requirements on credit approval, and keeping the rent high will weed out the non hackers. Besides, I'm not stupid enough to tell that to a potential renter. Another simple way to do it is just not call them back. :hatsoff:

Hell, just advertising it high would be enough it a lot of cases.
Advertising high definitely not a bright idea, then you biting off your nose to spite your face by sending not just those whom you dont want to other rental properties but those you do want, what makes you think that someone who doesnt have a kid or pets is more likely to rent an overpriced house.

And really if both of you think that a credit rating is an indication of the character of an individual I have a few well to do people I'd like you to meet.

high rent sounds wonderful:) More bucks better tenants:)

trouble is people dont stay. They use your home as a stepping stone to something even better.

so your end up like the DBS providers, with a serious CHURN PROBLEM:(

every time people move out you really need to paint and fix up the place. stuff gets broke and a old tenant might not care but a new tenant will want it just right.

basically EVERY time its vacant its time for paint clean or replace carpets, deodorize, fix all the broke stuff etc. plus advertsing and hassles, easier to keep a old tenant happy than find a new one.

I had a rental home and also rented myself for a number of years.

better to take care of the place. some think i give the tenant nothing. thats purely wrong because they are a customer, and one day they will leave. at that time its still your home you might as well take good care of it.

no solid gold fixtures, but keep the place up to date and in nice shape...

smart shopping for say dark carpets that dont show dirt and a new roof so no leaks help too.

Advertising high definitely not a bright idea, then you biting off your nose to spite your face by sending not just those whom you dont want to other rental properties but those you do want, what makes you think that someone who doesnt have a kid or pets is more likely to rent an overpriced house.

BS. Advertising high gives you maneuvering room. Besides, if you advertise low, you are gonna bring out all the dregs.

One can also use criminal background checks as well. Apartment complexes do it all the time.

People with pets are not always gonna wreck your house, either. The last two apartments I moved out of were spotless. Cleaner than when I moved in. The managers said they had never seen them so clean. 100% deposit back. I have a cat. But, I still wouldn't rent my house to somebody with a pet. Been to too many shitholes.

Where does it say that you have to tell someone specifically WHY you are not renting the home to them?

Consider: The subdivision I live in had a sign up that advertised homes starting in the 80's. Base price for the smallest house was 89,999. They didn't sell any houses for less than 100,000, and as a matter of fact, mine is the cheapest at 115,000 (no upgrades). That damned 80,000 sign caused the sales agent so much grief with bringing in people who couldn't pass a credit check if their life depended on it that they took it down.

Also, everything that Bob mentioned is exactly why you should squeeze every drop of rent you can out of your house. You deserve to make some profit. Renting to the lowest common denominator is a way to get in a bind quick.

Also, someone mentioned that you can't discriminate against people with kids. How the hell is this legal then?

http://http://www.canalparkhomes.com/vistas.htm

Restricted 55 Plus: At least one resident must be at least 55 years old, and
no one under 18 years of age may reside within the community. Home: Floor plans
are attached vista’s with two car garages. Priced from $149,900.00

On the A/C thing. If you have built up ice then you may have a problem with the heat pumps defrost cycle. I'd have a service guy look at it.

AC wasnt designed to cool the city. let sit off for 24 to 48 hours chances are it will be fine. it was running in a abnormal situation. freeze up is common in this case

A empty home costs you big bucks:( utilities taxes insurance, house payment and worse a vacant home attracts break ins and arsons, kids mucking about..

lets say you have a tenant who is a slow pay. but its near the holidays when people dont move much. your probably better off to take some rent than evict and get zero rent till you find a new tenant.

I would HOPE everyone knows people want to rent a nice place. new updated kitchens with low end cabinets and stock formica countertops perhaps with a nice faucet way easier to rent than old kitchen

a empty home is a looser you NEVER get back the $ when its not rented.

BS. Advertising high gives you maneuvering room. Besides, if you advertise low, you are gonna bring out all the dregs.

Oh so you think that advertising a 2bd 1bt duplex for higher than that of those in the same area is giving you manuevering room? Funny thats what the owner of two over on the west side of town here thinks about his two units with old damaged siding and no grass in the yards topped off by cinder blocks for porch steps, the places are still sitting vacant just like the ones three streets over from me that have no a/c, carpet that hasnt been replaced in 10 years, and a roach infestation.

Also, someone mentioned that you can't discriminate against people with kids. How the hell is this legal then?

http://http://www.canalparkhomes.com/vistas.htm
Thats a retirement community they fall under diferent guidelines wich is why there are only so many of them in any given area, if you want to go that route then buying the whole neighborhood and making it into a limited access setting would get you onto the track you want.

People have a right to know why they are being turned down for a rental agreament, you cant not disclose the reason specialy when you do things such as credit checks and criminal back ground checks but if you want to try that then go ahead.

AC wasnt designed to cool the city. let sit off for 24 to 48 hours chances are it will be fine. it was running in a abnormal situation. freeze up is common in this case

Well, good news. After letting it sit for a days, the AC fired right up like a charm. The place cooled down from the inside temp of 82 down to 76 within 45 minutes. Pisses me off actually. I wish the house I live in, in North Canton, would do that. Big difference between a 1,400 square foot home vs. a teeny little 700 square footer (yet ONE of the reasons I moved out of there and rented it out...won't get into ex wife living in the same town of 4,000 people OR the fact it's a total redneck town).

I may be flirting with disaster, but I'm going to hold off on calling an AC tech until it actually stops working. The new tenants (yeah, I settled with "Ace and Gary"...anyone who's watched enough SNL will get the reference :p ) seemed pretty cool. I guess the fact I knocked off the security deposit in lieu of them "pimping it out" gave them some vigor. I was pretty impressed with how diligent they were with the cleanup while I was checking out the AC and changing out the locks (can never be sure the goofy-ass prior tenant didn't make copies).

Anyhoo....thanks for the advice....and a chance for me to vent a bit. :) X's 100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)