New all-glass Kansas City airport opens next week

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
If you've ever had to fly into or out of the old airport, or had to have a layover here, you know just how sh!tty our airport was. This new airport is state of the art. It will be the largest all-glass airport in the United States, and one of the largest airports overall in the world. Just in time for the NCAA tournament and the NFL draft. Lots of cool local art installations and restaurants. I'm excited.

View: https://youtu.be/kYEJxxXqnmM

Last edited:
Have my first flight out shortly. New airport is nothing short of awesome compared to the sh!tty old bus terminal of an airport we had before. All of the 50 restaurants and bars are open, spread out right by your gate. If I had to be stuck on a layover someplace, this is where I'd wanna be

BAA2BD76-811A-4BC5-8EA7-F57FD7779445.jpeg
A17CBFC6-DED9-4B0D-9F39-55474B563AC8.jpeg
0DC6519D-04A0-4374-AB62-1CEC7D1C05D1.jpeg
AF554FEB-10DA-4078-9D9A-EA04408A7F36.jpeg
9B7D450B-C947-41B9-95B7-80ED6BE6FD2A.jpeg
F28126B9-A5FE-4398-BFE1-00FD68E4DE33.jpeg
B540C944-8F4C-4C4A-815C-CDBB168E8B4B.jpeg
EEC04A7A-DA83-4667-8C67-D472C4765075.jpeg

Reactions: Foxbat and navychop
I'll be flying into MCI in 2 weeks. That old airport was terrible! Clearly not designed for modern air travel. I don't even think there was a restaurant in the place let alone a lounge.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I have not, but coworkers have. It has a reputation as one of the finest steakhouses in KC. I believe it also has live jazz nightly and a prohibition-era speakeasy in the basement.

Thanks, I have reservations there and was on the fence on if it was worth it. Also have reservations at Q39, ate at the one in Overland Park and wasn't too impressed but the folks I'm with want to try it so I'm giving it another shot, midtown this time.

comfortably_numb

Your new airport is beautiful, much better than the old one. Stayed in the Power and Light District, a very nice part of downtown Kansas City. Weather this weekend was absolutely beautiful! Ate at Q39 a second time (this time the midtown restaurant) and still wasn't that impressed. It wasn't terrible, but I'm not clamoring to go back. Also ate at Boulevard Brewing which was really good and the Majestic. My steak at the Majestic was excellent, but I did think it was a bit overpriced. Also visited the TWA Museum and Truman Library - both were really impressive.

The airport still has that new building smell, love it! Even the jetways are glass. I was surprised to see it has 69 gates, seems like a lot for a city of this size. I specifically flew Delta on my return just so I could checkout the SkyClub (the only lounge at this airport), it is also beautiful with two outside seating areas. I was a bit disappointed to find out it closed at 6:15PM, we had arrived at 5:50PM so didn't get to spend a lot of time there and got kicked out when it closed and had to wait in the terminal. Had to connect through SLC, if I had known the short hours I would have skipped it and just taken the American direct back to PHX.

Bottom line - the new airport is a huge upgrade and a nice place to be.

Not sure how common this is for airports, but soon people can go through TSA as a guest and access the retail and restaurants in the terminal