AJE adds bureaus in US

Any time they are ready to hand over $0.50 per sub household, per month "pay for carriage" on core satellte location like shopping, religious, CCTV or RT do I am sure dish will be willing to put the channel up in the 270s immediatly upon their check clearing. But if they have any ethics as I suspect they actually do, it's best for them to stay FTA @ 97 West and boycott this reverse compensation carriage scheme that dish is floating. Foiled!

Secretary Clinton says she watches it to get straight news from mideast.

Do you have a link to an article that quotes her saying that? If Clinton really considers this network to be straight unbiased reporting, that would carry some weight with me.

Do you have a link to an article that quotes her saying that? If Clinton really considers this network to be straight unbiased reporting, that would carry some weight with me.
Here it is. A quick google search pulled up 100s of links. Clinton Lauds Virtues Of Al Jazeera: 'It's Real News' : The Two-Way : NPR

-------------------------

I can't imagine why anyone would be against more choice in news. The corporate controlled news outfits in the USA have completely dropped the ball IMO and we need these other sources to hold them in check. Al Jazeera English reminds me of what CNN used to be like 20+ years ago back when it reported real news instead of babbling bubbleheads offering up opinion as news.

I watch this station on FTA all the time. If it didn't say Al Jazeera on the screen you would think you were watching the BBC World Service.

Very good reporting many times from places no other network would dare go. Their coverage of the Egypt riots this summer was some of the best in the trenches reporting I have seen.

Here it is. A quick google search pulled up 100s of links. Clinton Lauds Virtues Of Al Jazeera: 'It's Real News' : The Two-Way : NPR

-------------------------

I can't imagine why anyone would be against more choice in news. The corporate controlled news outfits in the USA have completely dropped the ball IMO and we need these other sources to hold them in check. Al Jazeera English reminds me of what CNN used to be like 20+ years ago back when it reported real news instead of babbling bubbleheads offering up opinion as news.

Thanks for the link. If Secretary Clinton says it's a real news source, that's good enough for me.

I don't really get why Dish wouldn't add the channel for free. They're complaining about excessive rights fees from Disney and the like. Well, here's a channel with genuine content that is offering itself up for zero rights fees. I'm not sure if I'd watch the channel much or not, but it certainly seems to have more potential than a lot of filler and advertising channels that they have in their lineup. Since it's free, put it on every tier.

Then add BBC News America, and you claim to have more news channels on your largest tiers than any of your competitors. You can go after the news junkie market for virtually no additional cost. AJE is free, and I'd imagine BBC is probably cheap, right?

i still pass i would rather have bbc news america.dish adds al jazeera ill block it or switch providers :)

The problem again is that in addition to the reverse compensation scheme that providers are demanding, one of the big three cable news networks also explicitly embargos certain channels from being carried along side it, So even when AJE is willing to grant free retransmission consent the provider is powerless to carry the station or BBC because both are on the listed contract with the third. You can only guess which corporation has constant disputes and demands excess from providers and includes embargo lists in their contracts to prevent competition. Its censorship by WSJ.

That I was not aware of. Which corporation is that? Let me guess: the "fair and balanced" one.

I would think a contract provision stating "you can only carry our channels if you do NOT carry channel X" would be unenforcable and possibly actionable for investigation. If the investigators weren't all paid-off crooks that is.

The problem again is that in addition to the reverse compensation scheme that providers are demanding, one of the big three cable news networks also explicitly embargos certain channels from being carried along side it, So even when AJE is willing to grant free retransmission consent the provider is powerless to carry the station or BBC because both are on the listed contract with the third. You can only guess which corporation has constant disputes and demands excess from providers and includes embargo lists in their contracts to prevent competition. Its censorship by WSJ.

Wow. If that isn't illegal, it should be. Ironically, Fox News Channel, by doing this, is showing people exactly why we need more consumer protection regulation, even while preaching against regulation on it's channel. No channel should be able to contractually prohibit a television provider from agreeing to include other channels from different companies in it's lineup.

Can you imagine what Fox's reaction would be if NBC prohibited Dish from carrying Fox News Channel as a condition of carrying MSNBC, NBC Sports Channel, local NBC affiliates, and so on and so forth?

People talk here all the time about being willing to pay for a service that doesn't include sports on principle. Well, give me a service that doesn't include FNC and substitutes BBC World and other channels like that instead. I never watch FNC anyway- even clips of it I accidentally see at relatives or while channel surfing raise my blood pressure to the point where I'd imagine an hour of it would give me a full on heart attack and leave me yelling at my television set. ;)

But it's not really about politics or people's opinions of FNC programming. One channel should not be able to prohibit a television provider from showing competing channels from other companies, period. It'd be just as wrong if a more objective or liberal news channel did it to FNC. Dish should really draw a line in the stand and tell Fox to go suck an egg.

And when Direct adds the channel are you gonna cancel it too? It's easy enough to hide any channel or simply don't go there! ;)

they should add it ala carte and not force it onto us.add it in there foreign channels list if you want it you get it if not then you wont and dont force it on us imo :)