Dish America now missing Cooking Channel.

andyin137

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Lompoc,California
Last week after careful consideration(because of finances)I decided to drop down from AT 250 to Dish America Gold,but before doing so I checked dishnetworks site to see what channels I would get in the Gold Package.The site says and still says Cooking channel is included.
I know Cooking Channel was in free preview,but it also is listed as included in Gold.But since free preview is gone I lost this Channel.Any assitance would be appreciated..

Hi, I have checked the DISH America Gold package and the Cooking Channel is not included. I have verified that it is listed on website as being apart of the this package. I have submitted to have the website information corrected.

It looks like the only other alternative to America's Top 250 for Cooking Channel is Dish Family; if you choose to switch or if you want more offerings, you may want to check out some of the a la carte offerings. For example, I know that Encore (East) HD is included in both America's Top 250 with HD and Dish America Gold. However, I know that Encore (East) HD will not be in Dish Family but in something like Starz for $13.00/month alone without other premium packages. A cheaper alternative would be to add Encore a la carte for $5.00/month to get the west feed of Encore along with some of the other Encores like Encore Action, Encore Drama, Encore Love, Encore Suspense, Encore Westerns, and MoviePlex. The $10 Blockbuster Movie Pass has Encore Suspense and MoviePlex along with other channels (some of which are additional movie channels).

However, I must say tsk tsk to Dish for the "false advertising." My hope is that Dish helps you transition to another package that fits your needs. I know that no one is perfect at the same time, too. However, I hope Dish at least waives the change fee (if it is less than a month) if you choose to switch to another package since it was their error or mistake.

Last edited:
I dont understand why if a channel is in freeview sometimes it shows on the site as part of ____ package. We had the same issue with Fox Soccer + or something like that being in AT120+

I was enjoying Bitchin' Kitchen on the cooking channel. Sorry to see the channel is off of free preview, but I am not going to upgrade my package for just one show on one channel. It was nice while it lasted.

Dish does not take very good care of the channel listings on the Dish website, IMO, as I've contacted them numerous times about having the correct channels listed. I wonder how many new customers look at the package channel listing and decide this is the package they want to only find out after the fact that a particular channel they wanted is NOT in the requested package as shown.
And don't believe everything a csr tells you about which channels are in certain packages and I've received different answers from numerous different csr's as to the availability of a certain channel.
Earlier this year we had a thread about the Cooking Channel and MSNBC being in DA Gold as they were listed in the channel line-up and had Dish look into it as I felt we should have received the channels as they were listed in the package, and finally after nine weeks MSNBC was added to DA Silver and DA Gold, I believe, but Cooking Channel was not added.

I have to agree, long history of mistakes about what channel is in what package.

dlharm said:
Dish does not take very good care of the channel listings on the Dish website, IMO, as I've contacted them numerous times about having the correct channels listed. I wonder how many new customers look at the package channel listing and decide this is the package they want to only find out after the fact that a particular channel they wanted is NOT in the requested package as shown.
And don't believe everything a csr tells you about which channels are in certain packages and I've received different answers from numerous different csr's as to the availability of a certain channel.
Earlier this year we had a thread about the Cooking Channel and MSNBC being in DA Gold as they were listed in the channel line-up and had Dish look into it as I felt we should have received the channels as they were listed in the package, and finally after nine weeks MSNBC was added to DA Silver and DA Gold, I believe, but Cooking Channel was not added.

They dont take care of much on the website....

Did ya know Dish now does tv wall mounts among other things too?

You wouldn't know unless you knew where to look on the site.

Arcade said:
I was enjoying Bitchin' Kitchen on the cooking channel. Sorry to see the channel is off of free preview, but I am not going to upgrade my package for just one show on one channel. It was nice while it lasted.

Cooking channel should be in at120 package onward

Last week after careful consideration(because of finances)I decided to drop down from AT 250 to Dish America Gold,but before doing so I checked dishnetworks site to see what channels I would get in the Gold Package.The site says and still says Cooking channel is included.
I know Cooking Channel was in free preview,but it also is listed as included in Gold.But since free preview is gone I lost this Channel.Any assitance would be appreciated..
just wait 90 days or so and it will be back in free preview..the same channels seem to "revolve" in free preview

I did this drop down also...under contract yet...wanted the cheapest Package with SD & HD of all channels in the package...was told 120 package was the lowest I could go and have SD & HD........................any input...

Dish advertised Cooking since it was added over a year ago. Several folks, including me, brought it up in February of this year. First Dish spent days troubleshooting as if it was a problem with our programming authorization. Then they realized that it was in fact the programming package that was the issue. They said we should have the channel and promised it would be resolved soon. After weeks they told us we would not be getting the channel added and it was an error. However, it still took them SEVERAL MORE weeks (and even Scripps getting involved) to actually fix it and stop advertising it (in a few places on their website). It was APRIL before this was all said and done (and us keeping the pressure on them the whole time)! All credit to the DiRT during that time, they helped as much as they could, but the whole thing was an episode in corporate ineptness. I've been happy with Dish, but that mess, happening right after the Absolute forced sunset left a very bad taste in my mouth.

The earlier thread is here.

I saw Cooking show up a couple days before their latest free view actually started. At that time I checked the website - 'lo and behold Cooking HD showed up.....again. Was hopeful that they may have actually added the channel, but it's gone after the free view. Appears that Dish is back at it! :rolleyes::mad:

Last edited:
This is a time when Dish should have at least grandfathered those who got the package with it advertised as having it. Even if it means paying something to the distributor. I realize in the end it does not really cost the subscriber anything, they can switch back to another package for free, but for a little customer satisfaction they should have done something.

I did this drop down also...under contract yet...wanted the cheapest Package with SD & HD of all channels in the package...was told 120 package was the lowest I could go and have SD & HD........................any input...

Dish America or AT120 would be the lowest with HD in it

Dish America or AT120 would be the lowest with HD in it

In addition, Dish Latino Dos (which is eligible for HD for Life) is currently the same price [$44.99/mo.] as AT120. The channel lineup of Dos does differ from 120. For example, it has channels like AMC, Animal Planet, Boomerang, Bravo, Disney XD, Fox Soccer Channel, MLB Network, National Geographic Channel, mun2, nuvo TV, Tr3s, regional sports network(s), and Sirius XM channels. However, it does not have all the 120 channels.

just wait 90 days or so and it will be back in free preview..the same channels seem to "revolve" in free preview

While this is true, it hardly excuses the fact that Dish is (deceivingly) advertising programming to customers that they WILL NOT RECEIVE should they subscribe. Furthermore, it is an error that has been painfully pointed out to Dish in the past, and corrected after much effort, only for them to revert. At least they seem to have their internal programming lists permanently corrected.:rolleyes:

I find the whole "that's Dish for you" response strange. There's quirks, and then there's plain errors and ineptitude. As a paying customer, folks shouldn't tolerate this crap.

Arcade said:

I like watching that show but have to turn off the sound. She's hot to look at but sounds nothing like she looks. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts