Dish and Disney

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
what is going between Dish and Disney lately?DISH is working with Disney to get these channels added to our lineup thats what a person at Dish Answers told me.

DISH is working with Disney to get these channels added to our lineup thats what a person at Dish Answers told me.
They say that to get you off the phone/chat

If there was anything new you'd hear it here first :)

I talked to both friends at DISH and ESPN (I live down the street from ESPN) and am told that talks are worse now then they ever have been.

I am not expecting any Christmas miracles this year when it comes to DISH and Disney.

Last edited by a moderator:
I talked to both friends at DISH and ESPN (I live down the street from ESPN) and am told that talks are worse now then they ever have been.

I am not expecting any Christmas miracles this year when it comes to DISH and Disney.

Scott when is the contract for ESPN up for renewal with DISH? I'm curious if this will come up in 2012 or 2013 when the NO price Hikes guarantee ends.

That would indeed jibe with the promise of no rate increase until 2013.

Exactly. But I bet when it comes up for renewal there will be a make or break moment for DISH. This will force them to either spin off the sports packs to ala cart premium packs , or they will lose even more cost conscience subs, due to the ever increasing price hikes by ESPN. I know I've said it before and I'll say it again: I paid $69.99 a month for America's Everything Pack in 2000. That same pack will cost you $40.00 more at $104.99 today. So a $3.64 cent average yearly increase. So based on this average increase , in the next 11 years the price of the AEP would cost $144.99 before taxes. My wages are not rising as fast as my satellite bill. By the way, I haven't subbed to AEP in years due to the price hikes and I've dropped down to just top 200 and I only have one 722k dvr. I paid to have dvr software on the other two 211ks on my account. The only way I can drop my bill anymore would be to drop the 211ks and save $14.00 a month ,but lose my son and wife's love over it. The kid watches only cartoon shows and my wife has her's dedicated to HGTV 24 /7.

Exactly. But I bet when it comes up for renewal there will be a make or break moment for DISH. This will force them to either spin off the sports packs to ala cart premium packs , or they will lose even more cost conscience subs, due to the ever increasing price hikes by ESPN. I know I've said it before and I'll say it again: I paid $69.99 a month for America's Everything Pack in 2000. That same pack will cost you $40.00 more at $104.99 today. So a $3.64 cent average yearly increase. So based on this average increase , in the next 11 years the price of the AEP would cost $144.99 before taxes. My wages are not rising as fast as my satellite bill. By the way, I haven't subbed to AEP in years due to the price hikes and I've dropped down to just top 200 and I only have one 722k dvr. I paid to have dvr software on the other two 211ks on my account. The only way I can drop my bill anymore would be to drop the 211ks and save $14.00 a month ,but lose my son and wife's love over it. The kid watches only cartoon shows and my wife has her's dedicated to HGTV 24 /7.

Wow, that is quite an increase. I remember before digital cable, everything would cost around $60 per month for a cable bill with all of the movie channels. I used to think, no way in hell would I pay $60 per month for T.V. Now my bill is around $80 per month for top 120 pack and my equipment.:eek:
You would think instead of pricing people out of packages, that it would be more profitable for the networks to get their money from advertising. Doesn't more people having the channels = more people watching which should = more advertising $$$$$ ???

Last edited:
You would think instead of pricing people out of packages, that it would be more profitable for the networks to get their money from advertising. Doesn't more people having the channels = more people watching which should = more advertising $$$$$ ???
I've been saying this all along. In a proper world of market competition, networks should be low bidding against each other, in fact, even paying for the privilege of being in a lower package tier in order to maximize subs, exposure and increase advertising revenue. What we have now is a small handful of media conglomerates owning dozens of channels who use collusion and legalized extortion to get what they want and force the costs on to the consumer.

ESPN is getting (lets say) $3.65 per sub on 14 million subs, why would they let Dish sell them in a sports pack that may get them $5.00 per sub for 2-3 million subs.

I've been saying this all along. In a proper world of market competition, networks should be low bidding against each other, in fact, even paying for the privilege of being in a lower package tier in order to maximize subs, exposure and increase advertising revenue. What we have now is a small handful of media conglomerates owning dozens of channels who use collusion and legalized extortion to get what they want and force the costs on to the consumer.

I agree. And in 2013 when they have to make up for lost price hikes I will likely drop to the welcome pack or family pack if they are still available just to keep my cost the same as my income will likely not rise at the rate of DISHflation.

better read the fine print.. no PACKAGE increases till 2013
From Dish's website:
Everyday price guarantee valid only on the following packages: DishFAMILY, America's Top 120, America's Top 120 Plus, America's Top 200, America's Top 250, DISH America, DISH America Silver, DISH America Gold.

So if you have AEP, muti-sport, or a latino package or heck maybe even the welcome pack, there's still a chance you could get a price increase come 2012.
Satellite TV Programming & Digital DISH TV Packages -DISH Network

Everyone is still blaming only dish here. But it is true that all the MVP companies whether it be sat or cable have raised prices at a rate much higher than the cost of living. I would really love to see them offer a package with zero sports in it. I just don't watch sports hardly ever.

Wow, that is quite an increase. I remember before digital cable, everything would cost around $60 per month for a cable bill with all of the movie channels. I used to think, no way in hell would I pay $60 per month for T.V. Now my bill is around $80 per month for top 120 pack and my equipment.:eek:

The problem is there are now a gazillion niche channels as each media company has to have a sports channel, 3 or 4 kids channels, a channel to show the repeats of their more popular shows, a news channel and so on. They are still getting advertising dollars, but they have diminished and fragmented their viewership. Instead of actually scheduling their shows on a couple of channels and drawing lots of viewers to those channels, it is getting to the point that every show has it's own channel and you have marathons each day of the same shows over and over again in 4 or 5 hr blocks with a few hours of paid programming thrown in and only a fraction of the viewership. Do we really need 4 or 5 kids channels from Disney or 4 or 5 different versions of Mtv/Vh1 and Cmt? Did we really need Cloo and Chiller just to see repeats of USA and Syfy shows

jerryez said:
ESPN is getting (lets say) $3.65 per sub on 14 million subs, why would they let Dish sell them in a sports pack that may get them $5.00 per sub for 2-3 million subs.

Bingo. Back in the day (around 1996) i had to pay $10 a month for Sportschannel the then home of the Mets.... With inflation it would be double now. The next year they moved it to a basic channel for about $1.50 for everyone.... These folks will never allow ESPN to be on a separate tier. Their revenues would plunge....

Dish America now missing Cooking Channel.

Dish & NY Sports

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)