AKA "Big ugly Birdview dish is a eye sore"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cazadorez

Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Corona
Greeting fellow hobbyists,
Just today a friend offered me a Birdview dish that is complete with motor.....If I accept and take it and install it, what benefits do I get? What recievers would work with it? What is the difference between this big dish versus using a pansat/coolsat receiver with a dishnetwork dish for FTA signal. Someone please educate me or point me into some reading documentation...should I not accept the big ugly dish?????? Thanks in advance!!!

I'm fortunate to have sold BV many years ago, they're the BEST...and I'm VERY fortunate to now have two installed, one stationary on the left (but soon to be motor-running) and one motorized, (on the right) feeding a 4DTV for the past year or so with an original LNB from Birdview.

The stationary (left) one is aimed at W-5 and checked for signal by using the 4D, currently using an original "hi-block" Birdview LNB. (just aligned yesterday for SRL satellite feeds, and a possible conversion to using the DSR-410 for simplicity.)

The other (right) one will be driven by a g-box when the 4D is moved to the w-5 only dish, then the the motorized (right) one will be used used for FTA feeds since the arc is already perfected.

You won't find a better dish or drive, though depending on the age you may have to convert the drive to a reed-switch type. There are posts on this site about BV. When KU was relatively new to the consumer BV dishes were already good at grabbing signal when some dishes were not!

I, too have a question here..and posted another earlier on this forum, because DSR-410 and FTA to me are "new"...having spent all my satellite life on standard C-band.

Can my BV original LNB (high block, standard 950-1450) work with a DSR 410, (its a dual feed h/v LNB) or..will I need to change to an LNBF? I assume the input on the 410 is not a dual, and probably cannot handle the BV feed. Right now both dishes are using original dual feed BV LNB's.

Other question and similar story posted on this site at:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/4dtv-discussion/224322-chart.html

Thanks for the great forums, sorry if my question crosses topic lines. I defer to our moderators if I've addressed anything in the wrong threads.

Attachments

• BVPAIR1.JPG
    BVPAIR1.JPG
    429.5 KB · Views: 296
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts