Status
Please reply by conversation.

ikki

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 22, 2009
Minnesota
Al Jazeera was a class A operation before they went down this path. They ruined the FTA channel that was available on 97 west and replaced it with this homogenized version for america. If they still have an ounce of sanity they will put things back to the way they used to be, however I wont be holding my breath.

Hopefully it just means they go back to the international English version which was a lot better.

If I understand correctly AJAM will die soon, I´m very glad for that.

They totally screwed up turning off AJE (Al Jazeera English) from 97w, because those wise guys, came up with the idea of that awful Al Jazeera America.

I also hope that after they realize their huge mistake, they put AJE again back up on 97w Ku

AJE is still on 97W I think. The launch of AJAM pushed them to scramble the signal -- probably at the behest of cable companies.

AJAM is in about 62 million US homes and that space on cable networks is worth something. It probably depends on what they plan to do with it. They could sell the channel to someone else, like Current TV sold to Al Jazeera for the launch of AJAM, or they could switch the feed to AJE. I suspect the former because they said today that they plan to expand digital output in the US, and they probably don't want to be dealing with cable companies and legacy media advertising sales. That being said, they might supplement AJE until their various contracts run out.

If it's gone from cable, you'd think it would come back FTA on 97W ... but I guess it all depends if the transmission department gets the memo. The customers who have access to AJE will all have decoders now and FTA is a small enough audience for it to not be high on their to-do list. But let's hope it does come back.

AJE is carried by 11 sat/cable companies in Canada. Therefore, I doubt they will lift the encryption. I was surprised to see it is encrypted on quite a few satellites around the world.

AJE was ITC on 97w Ku, before they launched AJAM.

Yes, even though AJE was on a number of cable carriers in Canada.(on Satellite services Bell has it, Shaw Direct still doesn´t)
it was ITC on Ku for North America, Central America and the Caribbean on G19 Ku.

I want my AJE back on 97w Ku and I mean ITC, that´s all I care for.

The Wall Street Journal reports "Charles Herring, president of Herring Broadcasting Co., which runs the conservative One America News Network, said his company is interested in buying the channel because of its valuable affiliation agreements. One America is currently available is about a quarter as many homes as Al Jazeera America and would like to put its channel in this wider footprint, he said."

And I'm sure RT would love to buy the cable space too. They have a 24 hour leased channel on my local cable here.

I want my Ghida Fakhry (I mean my Al Jazeera English) back ITC on 97w

ghida-fakhry-Image-001.jpg

CNN Money has written a great story about the behind-the-scenes of Al Jazeera America and spells out just what went wrong. In part was the shutting of AJE to US viewers. Online viewers are mentioned in the article, but I think the experience of FTAers was the same: "Americans who actually tuned in liked what they saw."

The conclusion is that AJM should have just paid to have AJE carried on cable (like RT is doing) rather than attempted to reinvent the entire thing for a US cable audience in an era where online is rapidly becoming more important.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/22/media/al-jazeera-america-what-went-wrong/index.html

Reactions: iBoston
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts