Al Jazeera America

Status
Please reply by conversation.
A few details about this channel from today's LAtimes:

Ehab Al Shihabi, a senior Al Jazeera executive and acting chief executive of Al Jazeera America, said in a recent interview that there is a "bucket of resistance" among some distributors to carrying the network, but overall preconceived notions are changing for the better.

"We're going to demonstrate a demand," he said.

Wooing prominent American journalists to work for Al Jazeera has not been a problem. Familiar faces that have signed up for duty include former CNN anchor Soledad O'Brien, ex-CBS News reporters Sheila MacVicar and Joie Chen and former NBC News anchor John Seigenthaler.

Behind the scenes, several well-regarded broadcast and cable news executives have been tapped for significant roles as well. Kate O'Brian, who spent three decades in senior production roles at ABC News, will serve as Al Jazeera America's first president. Also on board are David Doss and Marcy McGinniss, who have held senior positions at CNN and CBS, respectively.

"They are putting together a strong team," said David Westin, a media advisor and former president of ABC News.

Al Shihabi defended the American-centric focus in a recent interview, saying the channel would "elevate the mainstream voice" while steering clear of the tabloid stories, murder trials and partisan bickering that have become synonymous with cable news.

"A lot of the audience wants in-depth journalism," he said, adding that because its owner isn't concerned primarily with profits and losses, Al Jazeera America won't feel pressure to go after sensationalistic stories in the hopes of driving ratings. The channel will even carry 50% fewer commercials than other news channels.

Many of Al Jazeera's new staffers were victims of belt tightening by their former employers, who have reduced staff by closing bureaus here and abroad and getting rid of veteran talent and their large paychecks in favor of less-experienced and cheaper reporters.

Seigenthaler, 57, was forced out at NBC in 2007 and ended up going to work at his family's public relations firm. Chen was working as a marketing consultant. Renowned investigative reporter Edward Pound had become a spokesman for the Recovery Accountability and Transparency Board, a government watchdog.

"The people who got cut were the most experienced," Seigenthaler said. "It's been a sad commentary on journalism in the last five or six years."

None of Al Jazeera America's staff seems concerned about working for a news organization controlled by a foreign government. "Coverage is not coming from a directive from Doha, it is coming from incredibly talented American journalists they've hired at top levels," said Jennifer London, who left public television KCET-TV Channel 28 here to become Al Jazeera America's Los Angeles correspondent.

It's a fairly in depth article that largely deals with the challenges this channel will have in gaining viewership particularly since they're only in half the pay TV households. The rest is here: http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...l-jazeera-america-20130815,0,23918,full.story

Less commericals, bickering and sensationalism sound like a good thing to me.

Well I hope the article is true and we really get a good domestic news channel, but my argument still stands: if AJA is going to be a domestic news channel, why the hell are they cutting off American access to AJE?

It's too bad that they've hired those "American" reporters. Those people all have ties to the same interests that enabled them to get the jobs they had at the American networks, and they will be disinclined to report harshly on those who they believe their personal support network wants shielded from criticism.

I remember a couple of decades ago, Charlie Rose was interviewing Robert McNeil of the McNeil/Lehrer Report, and Ford Motor Company had just agreed to substantially underwrite that expensive program, and Rose asked him if the fact that Ford was now the principle sponsor would create any problems in covering stories that were critical of Ford, and McNeil came about as close to saying "yes" as he could without getting fired... but he didn't actually say, "yes", which showed that there was a problem.

Seigenthaler, 57, was forced out at NBC in 2007 and ended up going to work at his family's public relations firm. Chen was working as a marketing consultant.

Those are the kinds of relationships that people at those stations of life have that can obligate them to do a poor job covering certain stories. When I was out of work, I couldn't go back to my family's public relations firm because I don't come from that kind of a family, and if Seigenthaler had, while a reporter, bashed any of the clients that his family does public relations for, he couldn't have gone back either. And as far as Chen is concerned, "Marketing Consultants" are privileged people who get chosen by people who like them to tell them what they want to hear.

Russia Today scored a coup of sorts when it hired Larry King to host one of its "second tier" presidential debates last year. He did a sucky, sucky job. It is no hyperbole or exaggeration on my part to say that it was the most unprofessional, unprepared hosting of a televised debate I have even seen. Basically, King just came in and "winged it", and about five minutes into the debate, someone told him that there had already been an agreed upon format that the candidates had prepared for and that we, the audience, were expecting, and that they had to basically "do over" the introductions. Yet in spite of how lousy he did, Aljazerra has given him their coveted 9:00 PM slot... the same slot he was in when he got dropped from CNN. I don't know if he now outdraws Aljazerra in that time slot, but I bet he will, because Aljazerra switches from live news to pretty boring magazine stories on third world poverty around that time.

Whenever there are threads talking about what we want for cable news, we all say we want more news and less sensationalism and personality, but our viewing choices, as shown in the Neilsens, say otherwise. Aljazerra could improve its ratings tomorrow if it decides to run its first Lindsey Lohan rehab report, but I hope it doesn't

Last edited:
I fear that AJA is going to become similar to the drama and histrionics on CNN/FOX, due to the hiring of the American "personalities" (read: entertainers). The moment they start getting dramatic, showy, and start joking around with the weather guy, I'll be tuning out. Why couldn't they just import AJE and let a great international news channel come to the US with an in-depth perspective that we don't get on the dumbed down US nets?

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

CCTV (China) Channel 279 has excellent worldwide coverage in their "news update". You can take their position in China-specific issues like the islands in dispute with Japan or navigation on the South China Sea with a grain of salt, but otherwise the coverage is objective and very broad. In any case, I often watch Al-Kazeera English via my ROKU box.

CCTV is state owned and I wouldn't call their coverage that objective by any means - perhaps they get close to it with stories that serve absolutely no interest to the forbidden city, but I wouldn't consider them to be any more objective than any other news source reporting on items that are unrelated or remote from the national interest.

All news sources have a slant a certain way - be in in the content of their reporting or the placement of a story. I'm quite surprised how many believe there are sources out there that are not... I guess the closest you can come to is it the raw feed from Euronews, but it's still showing you footage that they want you to see, which isn't always the full picture.

Here's another very good article on AJA, this time from the New York Times.

A few highlights:

Fourteen hours of straight news every day. Hard-hitting documentaries. Correspondents in oft-overlooked corners of the country. And fewer commercials than any other news channel.

“Viewers will see a news channel unlike the others, as our programming proves Al Jazeera America will air fact-based, unbiased and in-depth news,” said Ehab Al Shihabi, the channel’s acting chief executive, on a news conference call last week. He was explicit about what will be different, saying, “There will be less opinion, less yelling and fewer celebrity sightings.”

Mr. Al Shihabi and other Al Jazeera representatives say proprietary research supports their assertions that American viewers want a PBS-like news channel 24 hours a day. Originally the new channel was going to have an international bent; now its overseers emphasize how much American news it will cover and how many domestic bureaus it will have, which some see as an effort to appease skeptics.

Al Jazeera acquired Current TV for $500 million in January to start an American channel, after trying unsuccessfully for years to win cable and satellite carriage for its English-language international news channel.
But with carriage comes concessions. Since distributors discourage their partners from giving programming away on the Internet, Al Jazeera will have to block American users from the live streams of its programming that tend to be popular in periods of tumult overseas.

It has cast its lower commercial load — about six minutes an hour, compared with more than 15 minutes an hour on another news channels — as a perk for viewers. “Not cluttering the news with commercials,” Mr. Al Shihabi said after a studio tour in New York on Thursday.

Al Jazeera’s approach — more time for more serious journalism — is an implicit criticism of the other options for news on television.

Mr. Mora said he had sensed far less commercial pressure at Al Jazeera than at local stations where he had worked. “There’s a sense here of the news being a public trust,” he said.

None of the anchors said they had felt any slant in coverage plans, pro-Qatar or otherwise, despite accounts from some former Al Jazeera English employees of interference from above.

In interviews, the anchors made offhand remarks that it is hard to imagine counterparts at other networks making. For instance, Ms. Chen asked: “How big does our audience need to be? I don’t know. Nobody talks about that here.”

She was scheduled to be in South Dakota over the weekend, filing stories from an Indian reservation.

“That’s not even a pitch I would have made in my old newsroom,” she said, because of budget limitations. “Here, we never have any debate about resources,” she said. “It’s like this: ‘Is that a good story?’ ‘Yes, it’s a good story.’ ‘Then go tell it.’ ”

The rest is here: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/19/b...s-a-more-sober-look-at-the-news.html?hpw&_r=0

In my opinion, television news here in the US is in true need for a shake up. The news channels we have now are inflammatory instead of informative. They prefer gossip and celebrity over what's important. Ratings and extremism drive them- over doing a responsible job. I don't know if this channel will be the answer, but at least they're saying the right things.

I hope they will deliver what they're promising.

"There will be less opinion, less yelling and fewer celebrity sightings.”

I am happy to hear this. My only concern is how long it will be like that before they make it like every other American Cable Network because they will need the ratings and money.

[/I]

I am happy to hear this. My only concern is how long it will be like that before they make it like every other American Cable Network because they will need the ratings and money.

That's the interesting thing about this channel Scott- They're so deep pocketed, they might not need to change programming for ratings reasons. And the weird thing about that is, if they do it right, it might cost them viewers over the short term, but add them over the long term.

I'm happy about what they're saying so far. I find all the current news channels unwatchable.

[/I]

Well, they already have David Frost on the payroll, they've recently added four more established American reporters, and now they are going to shut off their free internet stream to help sustain advertising.

"Mr. Spock, you're getting more human every day!"

- Captain Kirk

"I see no reason to stand here and be insulted."

- Mr. Spock

So is dish going to carry Al-Jazzera, last night i channel surfed the news channels every one of them was on commercial break. no news.

So is dish going to carry Al-Jazzera, last night i channel surfed the news channels every one of them was on commercial break. no news.

That won't be a problem on AJA. Advertisers are staying away in droves. I hope the Qatar royal family has put plenty of money in the AJA account. They'll need it. From Today's New York Post:

When Al Jazeera America hits the air tomorrow, it will come with a big budget, a global network of 1,000 journalists and a mission to compete with entrenched rivals like CNN, Fox News and MSNBC.

What it won’t have? Advertisers.

The network launches with just six minutes of commercial time an hour — less than half the typical ad load of a cable news channel. Most of those will be in-house promos and local ad spots as national advertisers shun the controversial network.

-snip-

“I wouldn’t give them a dime, especially since we are in New York,” said one advertiser, who asked not to be named.

“They’re owned by an Arab country and they ran the [Osama] bin Laden tapes. I just wouldn’t trust them,” he said, referring to Al Jazeera’s role in gaining access to the late al Qaeda leader.

A major ad agency buyer who was pitched on the channel was even more blunt: “Not touching that one.”

-snip-

“It’s hard to sell it to an American buyer,” said one ad agency buyer. “There’s so much backlash. I’d never advise anyone to buy it. It’s a much easier way to get that audience with less risk.”

http://http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/poor_ad_jazeera_uketi7AEVLXbi5fGqhRriN

I am a Current TV viewer .. I love their Vanguard documentaries and really enjoy their quick "current" stories they air when most channel are blasting the airwaves with commercials. It's been a refreshing break from the norm for a while now.

I've tuned into AJ via the web to get news we tend to not give too much coverage to, so the two should be a nice fit.

.... but I really hope AJE keeps the Vanguard team.

Is this part of Fox News junk? Are you aware that 50% of fox is owned by a Saudi prince? Or is it 26% ?

The point is we already have middle easterner owning part of cable news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Jon Stewart did a great job drawing a Glen Beck-like, two item flow diagram showing how the Arabs control fox news.

Here is link to an article about the influence the Saudi Prince has on Fox News

http://mobile.wnd.com/2013/01/is-saudi-prince-steering-news-corp-coverage/

I will watch this news channel to see if as claims it is news and not opinion.

If it is opinion I will not watch it.

Even thou I agree a lot with what current tv had to say I did not watch because it was opinion.

I want news with no political opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts