Al Jazeera and Blaze

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Why do I feel like I'm on an auction blocks by the docks in Charleston?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Not the "some" fallacy.
Blaze is to legitimate news as WWE is to legitimate sport. I wish people would get that Beck is no different than Andy Kaufmann.
Great line :D. Sorta like Andy Borowitz's line "Watching cable news because you want to be informed is like going to Olive Garden because you want to live in Italy".

And some consider CNN and NBC to be propaganda (the Hillary films). MTV could be considered an abomination by many, especially after the Miley Cyrus performance, but don't think The Real World will be much "cleaner." We all have our tax dollars and consumer currency being used for all manner of things with which we disagree. If you find the content all that offensive, then make your point by "cutting the cord" and denying MVPD's your hard earned cash. Others may suggest that "propaganda" is merely different points of view, and that could be a good thing.

Pretty much every news outlet in the US spews propaganda. Just watch multiple outlets in the US and look for other sources in other countries for those world news in order to get a complete picture.

The amount you pay to BLAZE and AJ is probably small. I can't think of an opposite to AJ, but if you object to BLAZE, rest assured that your payments are also going to CNN, MSNBC, HLN, CNBC and any other channel not beginning with FOX which should make you happy.

Meanwhile, the ratings for AJA's launch week are in, with the highest rated show "Real Money with Ali Velshi" getting just 54,000 viewers last Thursday. For many shows, Nielson was forced to guess the number of viewers, because the data was below their "minimum accuracy threshold". And Velshi's 54K number was total viewers, not the demo. Even if you assume better ratings with all cable homes available, they would have had only one show with over with 100k viewers. And this during premiere week, when interest and curiosity about the channel would naturally be higher.

Not a good first week.

Most American's have probably never heard of Al Jazeera. It also doesn't help that Dish still hasn't renamed the channel on the guide yet. It is still listed as Current so even people who are looking for it will have a hard time finding it.

I think most Americans just have a bad misconception of what Al Jezeera actually is. Most hear the name and just associate it to the Middle East and think it's a terrorist network. I'll admit that's the first thing I though of before I read more about it.

Meanwhile, the ratings for AJA's launch week are in, with the highest rated show "Real Money with Ali Velshi" getting just 54,000 viewers last Thursday. For many shows, Nielson was forced to guess the number of viewers, because the data was below their "minimum accuracy threshold". And Velshi's 54K number was total viewers, not the demo. Even if you assume better ratings with all cable homes available, they would have had only one show with over with 100k viewers. And this during premiere week, when interest and curiosity about the channel would naturally be higher.

Not a good first week.
I fully expect their viewership to go up, not down, as time passes. MAny people are not even aware of the channel yet. Many who are aware have pre-conceived racial bias against it. But, as time passes, and positive word of mouth spreads, viewership will rise. Or my name ain't Nathan Arizona!

When I go to 215 i get a mesage saying I do not have the channel in my package and ask if I want to upgrade, I have the top 120 package.

I think most Americans just have a bad misconception of what Al Jezeera actually is. Most hear the name and just associate it to the Middle East and think it's a terrorist network. I'll admit that's the first thing I though of before I read more about it.

Same here. Now I watch it off and on. I liked the Internet version so it's on to TV now.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Bingo. Most people hear Al Jazeera and think of circa 2002 Osama cave videos. Look at the OP. While the claim is Blaze is a problem, too, the complaint only came with AJA launching, even though Blaze has been on for months. Clearly the person has a mistaken idea that it is Arab propaganda. I believe this is a common sentiment.

Plus it hurts that the people, like me that would have liked it, are not watching as AJA is a watered down version of AJE. Had they put AJE on for Current instead of creating a new network, I bet the ratings would at least marginally better. Trying to make it more "American" won't attract anyone that thinks it is anti-American already.

Trying to make it more "American" won't attract anyone that thinks it is anti-American already.
Excellent point. And, it irks me that whenever a foreign entity "Americanizes" their products for an American audience/consumer, they usually dumb it down or lower its quality in some way. BBC America does it. Volkswagen/Audi does it.

Excellent point. And, it irks me that whenever a foreign entity "Americanizes" their products for an American audience/consumer, they usually dumb it down or lower its quality in some way. BBC America does it. Volkswagen/Audi does it.

Can you blame them? We are quick to judge and criticize. As a whole we are stubborn and not open to other cultures.

I have been watching AJE for years on FTA for international news and now I am also willing to at least check in on AJAM programs and see what they are all about, but AJAM does not deliver the international centric reporting I like. Instead it is a homogenized version of AJE where any international reporting remaining is Americanized as to not upset the masses, this is truely unfortunate because at the end of the 30 days I will be dropping AJAM a la carte because I do not see value in that type of censored reporting. What made AJE so special is that we got to hear what other countries think about us. That is now all gone. The only hours of interest on this channel are the AJE simulcasts where you can still catch a glimpse of the world's view.

I feel it was a mistake to call the channel AJAM and use the same AJ logo. Since they have already thrown out everything that made AJE so special I think they might as well have dropped all the AJ stuff completely since most of the masses would then not even know what they were watching, it saddens me to think the 800 Americans that are being employeed might lose their jobs if this channel tanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts