Alabama coach's salary raises questions

cablewithaview

Stand against retrans!!!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 18, 2005
DeKalb County, AL
MONTGOMERY - In a poor state that struggles to fund public schools, the $4 million a year offered to the University of Alabama's new football coach sent the wrong signal to some.

"That certainly makes a strong statement in a state that funds education at one of the lowest per-pupil rates of any state in the country," said state Rep. Richard Lindsey, D-Centre, chairman of a House committee that writes the education budget. "I think we've let it get out of hand."

Many Crimson Tide fans cheered the hiring of Nick Saban - who took a cut from his $4.5 million salary to leave the Miami Dolphins for Alabama. But his compensation, reported to be about $4 million a year, makes him the highest paid college coach in the country, well ahead of Oklahoma's Bob Stoops, who makes about $3.4 million.

The $4 million is more than

most CEOs make in a state that ranks 46th in the country in household income, with a median of $37,502. The hiring announced Wednesday also came on the same day Education Week magazine released a study showing Alabama ranked 45th nationally in giving public schoolchildren a chance for success.

"You couldn't have a more stark picture of education priorities in the state of Alabama," said Jim Carnes, communications director for Alabama Arise, a coalition that represents the poor. "We put that kind of money into a college football coach and leave our younger children at the mercy of inadequate schools and underpaid teachers. We strongly need a priority adjustment."

But the faculty senate president at the university, chemistry professor John Vincent, had a more positive view of the new coach's salary.

"The money doesn't come out of the academic side of the university. The academic side is self sufficient," he said. "Of course I would like to see these kinds of benefits available on the academic side, but this hiring offers much to the university."

Vincent said having a high-profile coach like Saban would create more interest in the University of Alabama, which would bring more interest and money to the academic side.

Athletic director Mal Moore, asked about the size of Saban's compensation, said he could not disclose details until the contract is signed. But he said the hiring of Saban, who won a national championship at LSU, was "a crucial hire for this program."

Deborah Lane, executive director of public relations at the university, said the coach's salary will be paid from the athletic department budget, which she said is "self-sustaining" and does not include taxpayer funds. University officials said the funds would come from sources such as ticket sales and licensing agreements.

Finis St. John IV, chairman of the trustees' athletics committee, said the football program that Saban will direct "supports all the other sports except for men's basketball."

He said the university president, Robert Witt, "thinks it's important for student recruitment, for donor giving and for the momentum that he's built trying to attract excellent students and make this the finest university he can."

But Cleo Thomas, a former member of the board of trustees at Alabama, said spending millions on a football coach makes the public cynical, particularly when politicians talk about raising taxes for education.

"I think he's clearly the right man for the job, but that seems like an exorbitant amount," said Thomas, an Anniston attorney who was the first black student government president at Alabama.

"How do you explain to the people of Alabama the needs of the university when you have these kinds of resources available to pay the coach?" Thomas said. "How do you make the claim for more public funds, which are scarce, if there are surpluses that permit $4 million coaches salaries?"

http://www.gadsdentimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070105/NEWS/701050304/1016/NEWS

Meh. Seems like a story they could do in any state. Really a non-issue for me. The money he's getting is generated by the sports, right? So go ahead. Spend all the football profits on education. Then watch your team suck and the money disappear. How's that help?

Simple solution: use the billions of dollars generated by mathletes to fund the education side of things. Oh, wait.
:p

I should raise alot of issues. College coaches don't deserve that much money no matter who they are.

I should raise alot of issues. College coaches don't deserve that much money no matter who they are.

Who are you to say they don't deserve that kind of money. That is up to the Owner/Univ, dep on the sport. But you are not the one to decide if he makes too much or too little. Its simple economics, he is getting what he is worth. ITS ALL ECONOMICS. If it didn't turn a profit for the business, the business would go out of business. I don't see the yankees, redskins, nascar, or college football going out of business anytime soon.

Who are you to say they don't deserve that kind of money. That is up to the Owner/Univ, dep on the sport. But you are not the one to decide if he makes too much or too little. Its simple economics, he is getting what he is worth. ITS ALL ECONOMICS. If it didn't turn a profit for the business, the business would go out of business. I don't see the yankees, redskins, nascar, or college football going out of business anytime soon.

ALL thanks to TV contracts....AND it is NOT that he is getting what he is worth because if it went by THAT logic, the cops and firemen would be making 40 million a year....it's more of a PERCEPTION of worth more than anything else. They, the morons at that university, think he is THE BEST option to "lead them to the promise land"...perception...period. He is not gonna put anymore a$$e$$ in seats than the gardner.....if ANYBODy deserves the money more would be the student athletes....IMHO

I just love when athletes justify their salaries with the " out careers are so short" line. Most of the guys are college educated (or at least had a scholarship), so where is it written that these guys can't find a regular job, like the rest of us when their careers are over. Just because they are athletes, they don't have to work anymore? On the other hand, this is America and capitalism reigns supreme. I don't begrudge them their money, just their justification.

Hey, its a free country.... if the board of Trustees want to pay 10 million for a coach that is their decision, it has nothing to do with the other schools in the state. The run down condition of the school system of the state is the fault of the State and Federal Goverment, not the Alabama Alumni or its wealthy borad of trustees. If you don't like it, move to another state or country. Roll Tide.

Hey, look, I can have my opinion just like any of you guys or gals can. I say he is overpaid. Plain and simple.

I think he is overpaid myself. Most of his salary will come from boosters (sponsors), my question is, why doesn't the boosters put in this kind of money into education to keep tuition down?

Hey, its a free country.... if the board of Trustees want to pay 10 million for a coach that is their decision, it has nothing to do with the other schools in the state. The run down condition of the school system of the state is the fault of the State and Federal Goverment, not the Alabama Alumni or its wealthy borad of trustees. If you don't like it, move to another state or country. Roll Tide.

'Cusing me...but if a STATE SCHOOL is getting STATE money and USE state money to OVERPAY a coach ....then maybe it should be looked into....

'Cusing me...but if a STATE SCHOOL is getting STATE money and USE state money to OVERPAY a coach ....then maybe it should be looked into....

That was exactly what I was thinking. It's not like this is the pros. I don't care what they do with their money, because it's theirs.

What about the stat schools that athletic programs are fully self funded? If the school can fund the athletic programs without taking any money from the school then what is the problem. Heck there are some athletic programs that even give their extra revenue back to the school for academics.

This is a public college funded by the tax payers. Its not the Yankees.

What about the stat schools that athletic programs are fully self funded? If the school can fund the athletic programs without taking any money from the school then what is the problem. Heck there are some athletic programs that even give their extra revenue back to the school for academics.

And I agree 100%. But considering the state of the states ranking when it comes to funding the educational system....that makes you look for red flags...

And I agree 100%. But considering the state of the states ranking when it comes to funding the educational system....that makes you look for red flags...

I agree. Just trying to make a point that just because he is making that much money does not mean that it is being taken away form education. I have no issues making sure tax dollars are being spent correctly.

I agree. Just trying to make a point that just because he is making that much money does not mean that it is being taken away form education. I have no issues making sure tax dollars are being spent correctly.

I have no problems with someone making money....EVEN Nick Saban....but like I said, when you have the trouble the state is having in funding their educational system...man....ya REALLY start to wonder....I have a question, is it illegal to have booster foot the bill for this contract to Saban? I mean that football program with alumni contributions, t.v. contracts and booster bring in MILLIONS of dollars....and I am sure the basketball program does it's share.....

I have no problems with someone making money....EVEN Nick Saban....but like I said, when you have the trouble the state is having in funding their educational system...man....ya REALLY start to wonder....I have a question, is it illegal to have booster foot the bill for this contract to Saban? I mean that football program with alumni contributions, t.v. contracts and booster bring in MILLIONS of dollars....and I am sure the basketball program does it's share.....

I dont think it is. I believe the Army football team has a similar set up with Bobby Ross.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)