MN Gophers coach Jerry Kill retires

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Damn when it rains it pours

An emotional Jerry Kill said he is retiring as the head coach of the University of Minnesota football team because of his health.

The 54-year-old Kill, who has epilepsy and has suffered seizures during games, said he is leaving the game and a job he loves on doctor’s advice. Kill said he recently had two seizures. Kill is also a cancer survivor. He was diagnosed with kidney cancer in 2005.

“I can’t do what I love anymore,” Kill said fighting back tears.

Associate head coach and defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys will lead the team for the rest of the year. The team has been preparing to play Michigan on Saturday at TCF Bank Stadium.

Kill was the Big Ten coach of the year in 2014 after the team finished 5-3 in the Big Ten, 8-5 overall and played for the west division title.

Kill suffered a seizure in his first home game, a loss to New Mexico State. He took time off in 2013 after he missed a game at Michigan for health reasons. Claeys, a longtime Kill assistant, stepped in and led the team to four straight wins.

http://kstp.com/news/stories/S3945891.shtml?cat=1

Reactions: fhsucade07
Golden Gophers head coach Jerry Kill says he’s retiring from his position due to medical concerns, the team announced Wednesday morning.

The retirement is effective immediately.

Clearly emotional, Kill addressed the media shortly after the announcement.

“I’ve given every ounce that I have for 32 years to the game of football,” Kill said. “This is the toughest thing I’ve ever done in my life. The toughest thing since I’ve lost my dad.”

Kill says he kept the decision close to the vest until Tuesday night.

“Last night, when I walked off the practice field, I feel like a part of me died. I love this game and what it’s done for my family. I thank God for giving me the opportunity to coach this game,” Kill said.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/10/28/gophers-jerry-kill-retiring-due-to-health-reasons/

Reactions: fhsucade07
I saw the press conference and it is sad that stuff like this happens to people. Maybe some day there will be a cure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts