Albuquerque and New Mexico HD

We seem to have a Channel 003-00 KENW (non-HD) with Classic Arts Showcase early AM and then BBC World followed by PBS programming until the next 1AM or so. Is this a way to get PBS to all of NM?
BTW, the CAS is in squeeze vision--stretch to get 4x3?
-Ken

They seem to be playing around. at 3:11am the signal stopped and came back a say 7 minutes later. Brightness level is different from 9406 for ARTS. Their Logo is over the ARTS one. Oops just went off again at 3:27 and back on, KENW not ATRS. Have them in PIP. It was from 110 (I thought) then 119, say what? Getting 9406 from 61.5 because I have both that and 129.
-Ken

Last edited:
I recomend all you people of Abuquerque to dump Dish Network and sign up for Comcast. I think there HD lineup is one of the best in Comcast markets (even better than Dish and Directv), and they have HD channels that Dish (& Direc) don't have like BLOOMBERG HD, ESPNU HD, HUB HD, PBS KIDS SPROUT HD & REELZ HD.

Anyone seeing this?
Anyone else seeing issues with KOAT? The signal coming from my 722k Dish receiver shows a horizontal line when the screen has lots of movement. When I switch to the OTA signal also coming through the Dish receiver, it looks good. All other channels look good. Also the TV2 in the bedroom shows the same line.
AVS Forum - View Single Post - Albuquerque, NM - HDTV if so post so the Dish Team can help resolve... :)

I've not seen any such lines on any channel, mostly seen in recordings, on my DLP.

I've been watching the Nightly Business Report on 003 KENW as KNME has just dropped it out of its lineup at least through next week.
It does require horizontal stretching to normalize the shape--squeezed to 12x9 to get 16x9.
With center cut or letter box you would get less image or less pixels.
-Ken

In case you haven't noticed:
Dish has added satellite HD for channels 3 5 9 19 50 and maybe more.
To me this means I can start re-recording any PBS show that I have previously recorded and am keeping.
This will reduce the size from 6000 MB/hr for OTA to about 2000 MB/hr, MPEG-2 to MPEG-4.
As my 2TB disk has overflowed with PBS shows this may give me some relief.
With the additional choices beyond KNME-5 of KNMD-9 and KENW-3, it will make more choices of when.
And no stretching need on KENW, although no choice for SD there anymore.

I guess we already had satellite 19 and 50 but not sure about 2 before.

-Ken

Last edited:
In case you haven't noticed:
Dish has added satellite HD for channels 3 5 9 19 50 and maybe more.
To me this means I can start re-recording any PBS show that I have previously recorded and am keeping.
This will reduce the size from 6000 MB/hr for OTA to about 2000 MB/hr, MPEG-2 to MPEG-4.
As my 2TB disk has overflowed with PBS shows this may give me some relief.
With the additional choices beyond KNME-5 of KNMD-9 and KENW-3, it will make more choices of when.
And no stretching need on KENW, although no choice for SD there anymore.

I guess we already had satellite 19 and 50 but not sure about 2 before.

-Ken

Good news, thanks! Time to redo the favorites guide & timers.

I redid my local timers, switching to Dish Pass for most with specified channel, new, and HD--only to reduce the clutter.
I did hit one case of 3 across and switched one of those to 722 OTA and now to the other 722.
Otherwise I am rid of OTA, which goes out more than satellite.
I found one KENW-3 was not a repeat of Downton Abbey but rather a Charlie Rose. I get another chance Sat. night to get last week's. Doing this to reduce its size.
I had it on first run but this could be 3X smaller. If I can get enough PBS reruns, I may be able to record more and reduce disk use.
Much of the re-timering was to switch from the 6000's to their natural numbers. This is easy after going to Dish Pass, a pain before.
Why can't we adjust the channel of a non-DP with options like in DP?

-Ken

My complaint is now that KNMD (009-01) is using undersized windows for the "HD" broadcasts. The file size is 1/3 of the OTA but it is not nice to be partially window-boxed. These were repeat showings of Masterpiece Classic Downton Abbey and the first Henry Gates. I was hoping to replace my large copies. I'm thinking about which to keep.
-Ken

LIN, CBS Sign Agreements on Remaining Affiliates

LIN Media signed what it called "comprehensive, long-term agreements" to renew its CBS network affiliations for 12 stations in 10 markets. The stations include WIAT Birmingham, WIVB Buffalo, KRQE-KBIM-KREZ Albuquerque, WPRI Providence, WANE Fort Wayne, WTHI Terre Haute IN), KIMT Mason City (IA), KOIN Portland, WKBN Youngstown (OH) and WLFI Lafayette (IN).
While LIN did not reveal terms of the agreements, Marci Ryvicker, senior analyst at Wells Fargo Securities, estimated that LIN is paying around $.75 per subscriber, per month, with annual increases

broadcastingcable.com

LIN, CBS Sign Agreements on Remaining Affiliates

LIN Media signed what it called "comprehensive, long-term agreements" to renew its CBS network affiliations for 12 stations in 10 markets. The stations include WIAT Birmingham, WIVB Buffalo, KRQE-KBIM-KREZ Albuquerque, WPRI Providence, WANE Fort Wayne, WTHI Terre Haute IN), KIMT Mason City (IA), KOIN Portland, WKBN Youngstown (OH) and WLFI Lafayette (IN).
While LIN did not reveal terms of the agreements, Marci Ryvicker, senior analyst at Wells Fargo Securities, estimated that LIN is paying around $.75 per subscriber, per month, with annual increases

broadcastingcable.com

Not good news, dealing with LIN when those CBS stations come due won't be easy.

Once again under the gun ... ;)
Please call DISH and tell them you do not want to lose KRQE News 13, 2 KASA and all of your favorite programming. You should also let DISH know that you do not want to be charged for programming that you may not receive if an agreement is not reached. DISH’s phone number is 1-855-318-0572.

It is important to know that you have many choices. You can always watch KRQE News 13 and 2 KASA for free and in high definition over-the-air by using an antenna. We also have agreements with several other pay-TV providers in your area, including Cable One, Charter, Comcast, DIRECTV and TDS.
I'd be more likely to call KRQE to complain about money grabbing...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts