Alexa and Hopper 3

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

odbrv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 21, 2004
Lubbock, Tx
I have tried using Alexa to control the Hopper 3. I cannot get it to do anything. I have contacted both Dish's Advanced Technical Support and Internet support as well as Alexa technical support. The agents worked with me for a long time without any success. On the Alexa Dish Skill I see many reviews complaining about the same problem in controlling the Hopper 3. Has anyone here discovered a way to get the Dish Skill to control a Hopper 3? I can get the 54 remote to use voice commands to control the Hopper 3. My problem is that my wife is vision impaired and sometimes cannot find the remote button for voice control.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Well there are certain things it will and won't do.
You can change channels but you can't turn the receiver on/off with it. If you have the TV controlled with it that function on/off is more suited anyway.
I had to recently remove the device from the list and then readd it when I swapped out my H3's so you could try that if its not responding at all.

But as I said I've only managed to get it to change channels for me and I just use the TV skill for on/off and tap the remote button.

I tell Alexa to tune Dish to channel 4 and it turns on the Hopper3 and the TV and goes to channel 4. When I use the 54 remote to turn off the TV and tell Alexa turn off the Dish and it turns off the Dish rather than wait for it to time down and turn off. If I want to pause the Dish I tell Alexa to pause the Dish. Alexa can resume the paused Dish program. Alexa can skip ahead 30 seconds or 1 minute or 2 minutes. Alexa can also skip back. Alexa can Open the DVR. You can tell Alexa On Dish Play “recording Name”.
In general I use my 54 remote but I use Alexa when my hands are occupied.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yeah now if I walk in and say turn to channel whatever it turns on and thus turning on everything else since its setup like that thru HDMI CEC.
But you can't turn it off or well that won't effect the TV unless you turn it off which is what I do.

I've been able to: Change channels, pause, resume, skip back/forward, return, and play a show from DVR.

I remember in setting up, one of the biggest problems is the Hopper or Joey). "name" (ie, Great Room) is different that what Alexa shows. If so, disable dish skill on Alexa, change name on Hopper:
Receiver Name
  1. Press the MENU button twice or the HOME button three times, depending on your remote.
  2. Select Whole Home.
  3. Select Change Name.
  4. Select Location Name.
  5. Select a name from the drop-down.
  6. Select Enter Name to make a custom name.
Re-enable Dish skill on Alexa, and hopefully it finds your newly named Hopper (or Joey).

Reactions: medvyed and sktrus
Yeah now if I walk in and say turn to channel whatever it turns on and thus turning on everything else since its setup like that thru HDMI CEC.
But you can't turn it off or well that won't effect the TV unless you turn it off which is what I do.
Well, Dweber because you have a beautiful Ohioan accent that Alexa understands! She occasionally struggles with me, being an Eastern European!! Maybe, I should give up on her and try Ziggy!!

I've been able to: Change channels, pause, resume, skip back/forward, return, and play a show from DVR.

I remember in setting up, one of the biggest problems is the Hopper or Joey). "name" (ie, Great Room) is different that what Alexa shows. If so, disable dish skill on Alexa, change name on Hopper:
Receiver Name
  1. Press the MENU button twice or the HOME button three times, depending on your remote.
  2. Select Whole Home.
  3. Select Change Name.
  4. Select Location Name.
Re-enable Dish skill on Alexa, and hopefully it finds your newly named Hopper (or Joey).
Thanks for the help. I finally figured it out . Somehow the all devices section of the Alexa App showed the tv room as disabled . Everything else was there including my 4 disconnected DIRECTV receivers. Once enabled everything is fine now.

Receiver Name
  2. Select Whole Home.
  3. Select Change Name.
  4. Select Location Name.

Sorry for being dense, but what wording do you use to play DVR recordings? I just set up Alexa and it works ok for changing channels, but I can’t get it play anything on the DVR. I can get it to bring up the list of recordings if I say go to DVR, anything else and it says I can’t do that. If I say “play showname on DVR” it says I can’t do that on DVR. Just wondered what the magic phrase is.

Sorry for being dense, but what wording do you use to play DVR recordings? I just set up Alexa and it works ok for changing channels, but I can’t get it play anything on the DVR. I can get it to bring up the list of recordings if I say go to DVR, anything else and it says I can’t do that. If I say “play showname on DVR” it says I can’t do that on DVR. Just wondered what the magic phrase is.
For example, "Play Good Doctor". It will bring up page of recordings (if more than one). If not a list, it will start playing sole recording. Or just, Alexa go to DVR. But other the the initial command, never again say DVR.

Last edited:
For example, "Play Good Doctor". It will bring up page of recordings (if more than one). If not a list, it will start playing sole recording. Or just, Alexa go to DVR. But other the the initial command, never again say DVR.
Ok, that makes sense, thanks. I had tried saying “play Jeopardy” but it started playing the sixth question Jeopardy game it has built in. I’ll fool around with it.

I put tape over the mic hole.
Now, that's hilarious. My latest entertaintment is which one (Google or Alexa) can't figure it out what I am saying! I think Alexa is slightly doing better, and not messing up too much with my European accent.
accent.gif

• Haha
I have tried using Alexa to control the Hopper 3. I cannot get it to do anything. I have contacted both Dish's Advanced Technical Support and Internet support as well as Alexa technical support. The agents worked with me for a long time without any success. On the Alexa Dish Skill I see many reviews complaining about the same problem in controlling the Hopper 3. Has anyone here discovered a way to get the Dish Skill to control a Hopper 3? I can get the 54 remote to use voice commands to control the Hopper 3. My problem is that my wife is vision impaired and sometimes cannot find the remote button for voice control.
Try renaming the Hopper....I know Alexa had an issue with one of my devices and renaming the device fixed the problem.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)