Alexa support: Been away for a while- are we there yet?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ccchuck

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2013
usa
The last time I checked quite a bit od programming was required to marry alexa and direct -
was hoping that a skill was now available to load out of the box (?)

Alexa and D* ?
I haven't heard about this yet ....

My question would be "Why? "

What purpose would it serve ?
They have a whole list of better things that should be address first.

Alexa and D* ?
I haven't heard about this yet ....

My question would be "Why? "

What purpose would it serve ?
They have a whole list of better things that should be address first.

I really wouldn't want to argue the point - voice control has some use to me ( I'm an early echo adopter) but fine control is not its forte...
I use it with my audio system, Plex on a NAS, for quick control.
I would like to see if it added anything to the experience (note: they say with a remote hub and a echo dot it can be done with existing "skills", unlike DISH which works directly (not a pun) without a hub with a specially written alexa skill.)

I really wouldn't want to argue the point - voice control has some use to me ( I'm an early echo adopter) but fine control is not its forte...
I use it with my audio system, Plex on a NAS, for quick control.
I would like to see if it added anything to the experience (note: they say with a remote hub and a echo dot it can be done with existing "skills", unlike DISH which works directly (not a pun) without a hub with a specially written alexa skill.)
But, other than the person that has a niche idea, who else does it serve ?
Yes, it may be a great idea, but if the masses are not going to use it regularly, its probably not gonna happen.

But, other than the person that has a niche idea, who else does it serve ?
Yes, it may be a great idea, but if the masses are not going to use it regularly, its probably not gonna happen.
I think it may be a factor of how you watch direct -
me, for instance seldom watch anything live, so i could walk in say "alexa do my stuff", tv comes on, receiver comes on, lights go down, direct load "n w playing", and maybe fine control here, I say play Shades of Blue -

It is failrly simple apparently to write an echo skill, see youtube, and I suspect a fully formed ready to go version will appear - who knows, it may be as useful as 4 channel LPs (my dad still has some).

and, the oh yeah reason, "well DISH and comcast both have it SO!" :)

alexa requires internet
directv does not require internet

work out other bugs, and bring a real 4k receiver. then maybe if there is free time

Reactions: Jimbo
Just because .....
Isn't a reason for another Major company to jump up and develop this type of thing.

Like mdram said and I did previously, they have more important things to work on.

Once again, I find my Remote works Great and I hit one button and it does all the things you mentioned .... (Fwiw, it's not the D remote).

[...]voice control has some use to me ( I'm an early echo adopter) but fine control is not its forte...[...]

If you really want Alexa to control DirecTV you can put a few pieces of software and hardware together, but it will take quite a bit of work and it will be a one-off solution specific to your needs.

DirecTV boxes can be controlled by IR codes. The Global Cache GC-100 emits IR codes and can be controlled by Home Control Assistant. Home Control Assistant can be controlled by Alexa. So using the HCA skill and HCA you could build “Alexa, Direct TV channel up” and “Alexa, Direct TV channel down” phrases. You would need to setup each phrase you wanted to do something (volume, power, pause, etc.). Somethings would be tedious. To go to specific channels you would need to setup a phrase to do the correct codes for each channel. I do not think playing DVR content from the list would be possible. You would also need to have a computer on 24/7 and an IR emitter at your DirecTV box. Home Control Assistant :: Global Cache GC-100 Home Control Assistant :: Amazon Alexa
(There are other ways to do Alexa -> IR control, but the HCA+GC-100 combo is one I know off the top of my head.)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts