Status
Not open for further replies.

SatelliteGAL

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Amherst, NY (Buffalo suburb)
Ok I probably should have asked if anyone in here had experience with Alienware computers before I purchased one. I am sure someone here would have told me to STAY AWAY! OMG what an experience. If you think CSRs and Tech Support are bad with other places you havent experienced anything. Alien..ware = all aliens - not a single english speaking person in the whole place. A local company tech contracted to do the onsite service said he had never had such a bad experience.

Those are now Dellienware, lol, since Dell bought them out.

Good luck with that!! Nothing but home built PCs for this family.

Ah well. Bottom line after all was said and done.....
I became a real bi*** and told them to take their pos back and would NOT be paying any restocking fee.
Ordered all the parts and will be building the new one this week.
Sometimes we get a bit bored with waiting for all the parts and spending the time putting it together.

And of course the homebuilt is a step above the prebuilt.

AMEN SG! and although no warranty, PC warranties are crap anyway, your PC will be hand-built by yourself; best quality around. You get 100% what you want and usually newer, faster and better for less money. I have found that I get the best prices from NewEgg 99% of the time, so I get everything there at once, so a huge savings on S&H and it arrives at the same time too. I have 2 home-built that have lasted over 6 years, most pre & customs don't usually. I try to sell them off complete as great kids starters when I upgrade.

As long as they arent doa we havent had any issues with individual components in the pc's we have built in the past. I have a basement full of parts that I just can't bear to part with from previous builds and upgrades.
Most of the stuff was ordered from NewEgg... had to wait for the video card to become available and as soon as it showed up as in stock today we placed the order. The computer is for my son for gaming.... lol

I bought a 160GB Serial ATA Western Digital hard drive about 2-3 months ago that started making a loud clanking noise while idle. Didn't have a problem getting WD to RMA it for me. The replacement should be here tomorrow.

I bought an Alienware for my son over a year ago. Haven't had any problems, but I have heard that customer service hasn't been great.

The next one will be a self built for me as well.

SatelliteGAL said:
Ah well. Bottom line after all was said and done.....
I became a real bi*** and told them to take their pos back and would NOT be paying any restocking fee.
Ordered all the parts and will be building the new one this week.
Sometimes we get a bit bored with waiting for all the parts and spending the time putting it together.

And of course the homebuilt is a step above the prebuilt.

So what are the Specs ? Love to hear what you decided on.

I can build one and install all the software in less time than it takes me to remove all the spyware/adware crap that comes on the prebuilt ones.

And I always use PC Power & Cooling power supplies- lost too many motherboards over the years to cheapie power supplies.

gbjbany said:
So what are the Specs ? Love to hear what you decided on.

From NewEgg
Gigabyte 3D aurora GZ-FSCA1-ATB aluminum Case (arrived today and I must say it is much better looking IRL - nice case) , WD SE WD2500JS SATA Hard Drive, MSI K8N Diamond Plus socket 939 Mobo, AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+, SoundBlaster X-Fi Platinum 7.1, Samsung 16X DVD-/+r dvd burner w/lightscribe, eVGA Nvidia Geforce 7900GT OC Video card.

From TigerDirect
Ultr X2 Connect 550 Watt Power Supply, Ultra Blue Serial ATA Cable Kit, Blue UV Reqctive Mode Kit

The only thing he is re-using from his old computer is the RAM 2 GIGs

We tried to find the sweet spot on the processors so we didnt break the bank and I refused to go to the GTX video because I was not spending $500 on a video card. The game people will only do something to make it obsolete in a short time anyway.

navychop said:
I can build one and install all the software in less time than it takes me to remove all the spyware/adware crap that comes on the prebuilt ones.

And I always use PC Power & Cooling power supplies- lost too many motherboards over the years to cheapie power supplies.

That's the only thing we are going out to get locally because he likes to "see" them.

SatelliteGAL said:
From NewEgg
Gigabyte 3D aurora GZ-FSCA1-ATB aluminum Case (arrived today and I must say it is much better looking IRL - nice case) , WD SE WD2500JS SATA Hard Drive, MSI K8N Diamond Plus socket 939 Mobo, AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+, SoundBlaster X-Fi Platinum 7.1, Samsung 16X DVD-/+r dvd burner w/lightscribe, eVGA Nvidia Geforce 7900GT OC Video card.

From TigerDirect
Ultr X2 Connect 550 Watt Power Supply, Ultra Blue Serial ATA Cable Kit, Blue UV Reqctive Mode Kit

The only thing he is re-using from his old computer is the RAM 2 GIGs

We tried to find the sweet spot on the processors so we didnt break the bank and I refused to go to the GTX video because I was not spending $500 on a video card. The game people will only do something to make it obsolete in a short time anyway.

Sweet, I wish someone would buy me one like that ! :devil:
Of course the danger now is the arguments about Intel vs AMD or Geforce vs ATI or something else :eek:

You will not regret the Athlon64. It is a GREAT CPU for gaming and all around speed (provided you go with Windows x64).

I was going to put their logo on a website I was looking to build under the affiliate program and I had a question to ask so I emailed them at the link and the address is no longer active, it didnt make me feel good about dealing with them. Aside from that though I havent heard anything bad about them or the products and the laptops seem to hold a good resale value even for ones that are 3 years old.

charper1 said:
AMEN SG! and although no warranty, PC warranties are crap anyway, your PC will be hand-built by yourself; best quality around. You get 100% what you want and usually newer, faster and better for less money. I have found that I get the best prices from NewEgg 99% of the time, so I get everything there at once, so a huge savings on S&H and it arrives at the same time too. I have 2 home-built that have lasted over 6 years, most pre & customs don't usually. I try to sell them off complete as great kids starters when I upgrade.

Each Manufacturer warranties their parts for so long though. The only issue with that, is it can be a hassle contacting the mfg and sending the part back to them.

I think Intel warranties their MB for 3 years...
HDD mfgs are moving toward 5 year warranties,
some monitors are 1, some are 3...

So usually, you end up being ok either way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts