Alignment Issues?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Longjack

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Self installed, in a remote area, AU9/SL3 dish about 4 years ago and has always worked fine.
Have recently experienced what appears be my dish drifting....local HD channels are always breaking up, even in clear weather.
Being a non-techie, it was a little tricky to originally set up (using meters on an H25 receiver) so am wondering if there might be an easy fix to fine tuning alignment without starting from scratch?
Any advice or guidance would be GREATLY appreciated and thanks.
Currently see these satellites...

101 - 95%
99(ca) - 77%
99(cb) - 85%
99(s) - Not acquired
103(s) - Not acquired
103(ca) - 83%
103(cb) - 95%

Update to my earlier posting....
Found some readings when I firstt installed about 4 years ago if these help in determining if I can focus my efforts on tweaking my alignment.
On the 103(ca) original Transponders in 9-24 had readings of 82 to 90 and today they range from 59 to a high of 80.
When I originally installed, I saw Satellite 99(c), now I not see that and only see 99(ca) and 99(cb)....whose numbers look lower than the original 99(c) numbers.
Would it help if I posted these screen shots of old and current?
Thank you again.

Sounds like your dish is out of alignment. Except for numbers on 99s and 103s, which are spot beams, you should have mostly mid 90s or so. How is the dish mounted? Is the mast/pole plumb? Are all of the mounting bolts/screws tight?

Hi Chip, thanks for replying.
The dish was mounted originally on a short mast on the side of home, and plumb, and has not been messed with the past 4 years, as I have never had these issues. All nuts were extremely tight at installation.
Before I go get on my ladder and head up to it, thought I would ask which adjustment should I investigate first after making sure the plumb/level is correct.
Can you tell me why I now don't see 99(c), and instead, 99(ca) and 99(cb)?
Given my issue of the only local HD channels breaking up, which satellite should I use to make adjustments and try and get better numbers?
Thanks again.

As I read I noticed that you said your dish is mounted high on the house, by chance do you have growth of some trees that maybe interfering? 99(c) is still there, just renamed as new satellites were launched, the naming convention has changed. Take a look at any growth that may have occurred. Also I am going to go out on a limb here with this one, how old is your home? If relatively new, the house might be settling a bit and causing the dish to be out of alignment. Just some thoughts.

As sswheeler suggested, you may have an issue with tree limbs blocking your line of sight (los). Can you post all of your signal strengths on all of the satellites? Also, what is your zip code? That will tell us what satellite and transponder your local hd channels are on. Any chance you can post a picture of the dish?

Before you start screwing with the alignment, grab the mount and dish with your hands and see how solid it feels. If it feels solid, I would lay odds on it, it's not the alignment.

Looking at your numbers, your 99 and 103 should be in the high 80's low 90's but should not be giving you issues.

I would check the SD version of the channel and see if it breaks up, and then line of site.

Wouldn't hurt if you could swap the Lnb

First, I would like to thank EVERYONE who has been so kind and expiditous in responding to my request for help and here is what I have determined with your assistance.
Am getting SD with no issues, my only recent breakups are on local HD channels, and not any HD channels above 200.
The dish is not that high on side of house, can access with a 10 foot ladder, and in doing so, verified with a circular bubble level,in pole mast that it was level.
However, also saw that the corrosive environment has completely rusted everything, bolts, dithering wheels, etc. to such an extent, there is no way to make any adjustments....simply going to have to get an entire new bracket assembly, and may have to get an entire new post/mast etc.
I did however grab dish assembly while receiver was set to Sat 01, and in trying to bend or push, the numbers dropped off dramatically until I let go and then they popped back up. So the assembly is sturdy, having rusted in place.
My recent HD breakups are the first in 4 years, and when I looked out to where the dish is facing, I noticed a small tree has grown quite high from time of install, but it does not seem to block any of the sats when I used the Satoolz app, but who,knows? It's the only environmental variable.
However, given the assembly is so rock,solid, and never ever having had this break up issue (except for rain fade) until,just recently, I am questioning that sprouting tree.
Having said all this, again thank you to everyone for the input and I'll prune that tree just in case and invest in a new assembly.
One last question as I was asked what sat and transponder my locals are on....Where is a current chart/listing of those as I would like to,know also?
Thanks again to all.

First, I would like to thank EVERYONE who has been so kind and expiditous in responding to my request for help and here is what I have determined with your assistance.
Am getting SD with no issues, my only recent breakups are on local HD channels, and not any HD channels above 200.
The dish is not that high on side of house, can access with a 10 foot ladder, and in doing so, verified with a circular bubble level,in pole mast that it was level.
However, also saw that the corrosive environment has completely rusted everything, bolts, dithering wheels, etc. to such an extent, there is no way to make any adjustments....simply going to have to get an entire new bracket assembly, and may have to get an entire new post/mast etc.
I did however grab dish assembly while receiver was set to Sat 01, and in trying to bend or push, the numbers dropped off dramatically until I let go and then they popped back up. So the assembly is sturdy, having rusted in place.
My recent HD breakups are the first in 4 years, and when I looked out to where the dish is facing, I noticed a small tree has grown quite high from time of install, but it does not seem to block any of the sats when I used the Satoolz app, but who,knows? It's the only environmental variable.
However, given the assembly is so rock,solid, and never ever having had this break up issue (except for rain fade) until,just recently, I am questioning that sprouting tree.
Having said all this, again thank you to everyone for the input and I'll prune that tree just in case and invest in a new assembly.
One last question as I was asked what sat and transponder my locals are on....Where is a current chart/listing of those as I would like to,know also?
Thanks again to all.
What is your zip code or city that you are getting your locals from ?
Your locals HD wise will come from one of the 99s or 103s Sats, the ones that you said says signal not acquired.
Did you just not wait long enough for the signal to come in, or do you have No signal on those Sats ?
The S is for Spotbeam, and they take much longer to come in when looking at the Signal strength.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)