All 5G phones aren't even close to being compatible

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Radioguy41

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 7, 2008
Lehighton, PA
While researching for a new Android phone I came across some hidden dangers if you expect to access 5G. When you find an unlocked GSM phone you might assume it will work on all GSM networks, especially since they are advertised that way, but you would be wrong. While it is likely that 4G LTE/VoLTE will work it is more than likely that the very same phone, even though it's a 5G capable phone, will not work on 5G and here's why. Cell phones operate on bands that correspond to specific frequencies and generally speaking all GSM phones will work on just about all of the bands or at least a majority because all phones include those bands. That is not true of 5G bands. If, for instance, you buy an unlocked T-Mobile phone it will work as advertised on all GSM systems such as the AT&T system. I've been using T-Mobile phones on AT&T for years.

However, here's where the problem occurs, most of these 5G capable phones do not, unlike 4G, include all or most of the bands. A T-Mobile phone has none of the bands that would work on AT&T while AT&T has none that would work on T-Mobile. Now you might wonder why the mfgs would do this and here is what my research has indicated, this appears to be AT&T's doing. They will only allow their branded phones, and those of their associated MVNOs, to access 5G on their network.

So, while technically "Will work on all GSM networks" might be correct, it is only correct for 4G. The problem is the mfgs and resellers don't differentiate between 4G and 5G when making that claim so people naturally assume 5G will work and more than likely it won't. So be very diligent in researching your next phone.

Here are some charts showing what bands are built in to, in this case, OnePlus new 5G phones. There's more info available on the Internet but you're really going to have to dig to find out what 5G bands are built in to any phone you might be interested in. What it's come down to for me is do I change phones or networks? T-Mobile has my area blanketed with 5G while AT&T has spotty coverage at best for 5G. Rats, I hate having to change out my whole system.

Will OnePlus Nord N10 5G work in USA?

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Makes me wonder if I bought an iPhone directly from Apple, and not from T-Mobile, what 5G bands would be supported. Yes, not Android. But does the general idea follow?

Reactions: TheKrell
While researching for a new Android phone I came across some hidden dangers if you expect to access 5G. When you find an unlocked GSM phone you might assume it will work on all GSM networks, especially since they are advertised that way, but you would be wrong. While it is likely that 4G LTE/VoLTE will work it is more than likely that the very same phone, even though it's a 5G capable phone, will not work on 5G and here's why. Cell phones operate on bands that correspond to specific frequencies and generally speaking all GSM phones will work on just about all of the bands or at least a majority because all phones include those bands. That is not true of 5G bands. If, for instance, you buy an unlocked T-Mobile phone it will work as advertised on all GSM systems such as the AT&T system. I've been using T-Mobile phones on AT&T for years.

However, here's where the problem occurs, most of these 5G capable phones do not, unlike 4G, include all or most of the bands. A T-Mobile phone has none of the bands that would work on AT&T while AT&T has none that would work on T-Mobile. Now you might wonder why the mfgs would do this and here is what my research has indicated, this appears to be AT&T's doing. They will only allow their branded phones, and those of their associated MVNOs, to access 5G on their network.

So, while technically "Will work on all GSM networks" might be correct, it is only correct for 4G. The problem is the mfgs and resellers don't differentiate between 4G and 5G when making that claim so people naturally assume 5G will work and more than likely it won't. So be very diligent in researching your next phone.

Here are some charts showing what bands are built in to, in this case, OnePlus new 5G phones. There's more info available on the Internet but you're really going to have to dig to find out what 5G bands are built in to any phone you might be interested in. What it's come down to for me is do I change phones or networks? T-Mobile has my area blanketed with 5G while AT&T has spotty coverage at best for 5G. Rats, I hate having to change out my whole system.

GSM has nothing to do with 5G..it just means those phones are not 3G compatible...oh wait..they are discontinuing 3G

Reactions: navychop
The specs are listed here: iPhone 13 Pro and 13 Pro Max - Technical Specifications

It appears there is only one model number for the USA.
Usually there

Actually its all on the manufacturer's website..you just need to dig into the phone settings to see if you have a carrier specific model

GSM holds very little relevance anymore, everything will either be LTE or NR.

I have an unlocked non-mmWave Pixel 6 Pro and it supports all of the sub 6 NR bands used by the big three carriers.

5G NR
AT&T Mobility - n5, n77, n260
T-Mobile - n41, n71, n260, n261
Verizon Wireless - n2, n5, n77, n66, n260, n261

4G LTE
AT&T Mobility - b2, b4, b5, b12, b14, b17, b29, b30, b66 (b14 for FirstNet)
T-Mobile - b2, b4, b12, b66, b71 (Plus b5 in limited areas and b25, b26, b41 from Sprint)
Verizon Wireless - b2, b4, b5, b13, b66 (Plus b46, b48 in limited areas)

Here's an update, Consumer Cellular has confirmed to me that they are disassociating from T-Mobile. They have told their resellers, like Target, to dispose of all the T-Mobile network Sim cards in inventory and to return any CC phones that operate on the T-Mobile network. This information is not available on the CC website. We had a lively discussion about that since much of the advertising available on the Internet does, in fact, mention their 5G as running on the T-Mobile network. So, after having 3 lines with CC for several years it looks like I'll be switching phone service providers as where I live is blanketed with T-Mobile 5G while AT&T 5G is virtually non-existant.

When will this occur? I have Motorola one 5G Ace that I bought in January. CC uses the T-Mobile network here North Carolina. I've heard nothing about this.

It will probably be a couple years unless you add a line or upgrade..these things don't just happen over night

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts