All Dish HD needs to go MPEG 4!!!

ehren

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2006
Wisconsin
My god what a difference from watching the Ravens/Bengals on ESPN HD and watching the start of the Cardinals/49ers game on ESPN2-HD, ESPN2HD is absolutely STUNNING.

I compared both ESPN and ESPN2 HD's when both were showing the beginning of the SF/ARI game. Definitely was sharper and had better color on ESPN2.

MY bet is that by the end of this year ALL hd will be mpeg 4. They have offered all kinds of incentives to upgrade to a mpeg 4 hd dvr. The last thing that they can do is call each sub with an mpeg 2 hd receiver and offer them over the phone an upgrade or they will lose their hd channels come the end of the year. THen they could easily move all hd to mpeg 4 freeing up bandwith for more hd channel additions.

By the HD standards of the loading of MPEG2 HD they could run 8 HD channels per TP since they are running 4 per TP in MPEG2 mode right now. :)

Yeah its not all on Dish's end most of the time when it comes to ESPN it all depends on what kind of cameras they are using at the game. Some games will look better than other simply due to they dont use the same hardware at each event. So it will vary from game to game.

Yeah its not all on Dish's end most of the time when it comes to ESPN it all depends on what kind of cameras they are using at the game. Some games will look better than other simply due to they dont use the same hardware at each event. So it will vary from game to game.

While I agree with you about varying quality of broadcasts, I think you missed a couple posts about the same game being shown at the same time on both ESPN and ESPN2. ESPN2 in MPEG4 by Dish was much better than the same broadcast on ESPN in MPEG2 by Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)