All locals out...

D. Manley

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
United States
Wow, new one on me. All locals out in 71201 area code. Signal lost message pops up followed in a few seconds by a blue background message from Dish that they're aware of the problems & working the program providers to resolve it. Been like that all morning - all my years with Dish, never seen it before.

I get that message any time I'm watching a local channel and lose satellite signal due to whatever. I even get it when I leave the local's spotbeam range..........until I change locals.

Hmmm...

Called Support, went thru the diagnostics, check switch, etc., all shows good. They say no problem with feeds, set up tech visit. Seems odd all works fine but locals & all diagnostics look good.

Is it possible your arc has officially change from WA to EA and you have a WA setup?
No, I've been on Eastern arc since original install. All other channels are just fine but ALL locals are out. Confusing how that can be when all diagnostic tests show fine. I do have an OTA module installed (and working normally), I wonder if this could be in play with the sat locals somehow? Does not seem likely but, as I said, confusing deal.

Do you know what satellite and transponder your locals come from? If so, go back into point dish and check that satellite and transponder sig strength.

Do you know what satellite and transponder your locals come from? If so, go back into point dish and check that satellite and transponder sig strength.
All locals are on 61.5 and IIRC, all come from transponder 21-(spotbeam). I seem to have good signals across the board from all birds & transponders with the exception of T-21, no signal at all using 61.5. It's like that spotbeam has vanished but Dish says it's fine so has to be something local? I can't imagine what would cause such a freakish thing.

Have yu called any of your local stations and asked if they were having problems sending their signal to Dish. My bet is that there is an uplink problem. Your system is fine and the tech visit won't find anything wrong.

Have yu called any of your local stations and asked if they were having problems sending their signal to Dish. My bet is that there is an uplink problem. Your system is fine and the tech visit won't find anything wrong.
No, I haven't - these twits would be clueless & on a weekend, no chance of getting an engineer. I did do a more thorough test though & it appears that all odd numbered transponders are missing on 61.5 and several even numbers as well. Strength is good on all that shows up.

Reactions: TheKrell
Are you missing any other channels? If it's only the locals, my bet is still on the uplink.
We have a winner. I had checked a ton of non-local channels I normally watch but after your post, I just began scrolling. Turns out, I was wrong and there's a good many more missing other than locals. I'm unable to view the bird/transponder used by the missing channels but I've no doubt they're all 61.5. I'm betting it's going to be LNB related.

I'm with the LNB also. My guess, have a storm recently? Maybe the plastic is cracked in the LNB, or there is water build up inside the LNB?

I'm with the LNB also. My guess, have a storm recently? Maybe the plastic is cracked in the LNB, or there is water build up inside the LNB?
Yeah, pretty good rainstorm last night however, all was fine when I shut down. As I said, this is a new unit but, things happen.

My guess is the locals wouldn't know if there was an uplink problem or not. More than likely, Dish has a central receive point with a bunch of OTA receivers. The local stations won't have any idea what's happening at that site. It's not like Dish is going to call all the locals and say "we have a problem".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)