All my OTA locals are 73 miles away. Is there any antenna I can buy that will reach?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Winegard HD8200p antenna
Winegard Ap8275 Preamp would be the best, this amp has 28 db gain, will help alot. I pull in Chicago locals with this setup 60 miles away so this should work for you.

I've had good luck with Channel Master but size, open and direct path to towers is key. Winegard makes good stuff too. If short cable run then you dont need pre-amp but since you are pulling from far away, I would try it. If doesnt help, you can always return.

The ones we all mentioned are good but the key is you need the deepest fringe one. I would stick with Winegard or Channel Master since I dont have experience with Antennacraft. Just get that sucker high and clear. High and clear.

SO is the Winegard HD 8200P Platinum considered the best OTA antenna? Will this baby really pull in HD locals from 70+ miles away?!?!

I was on antennaweb, where do you see if they are uhf vhf? Which transmit further. My zip is 74820, I am lookiing for ABC ( for BIG 12 football games) in particular which is 73 miles away

Frequency 2-13 if VHF and 14+ is UHF. Its listed as Frequency Assignment. VHF travels further and the antennas displayed do a much better job on VHF over UHF.

Try this zip on antennaweb.org 73178

KOCO-DT 5.1 ABC OKLAHOMA CITY OK 62° 4.6 7

Is this the ABC you are trying to get? Looks like VHF.

First, let me make you aware there is no such thing as a HD antenna. The regular antennas get stamped with HD and it is a slick marketing sale. I have some experience testing antennas and the best in my book is JERALD which is made now in CANADA. I have had one with a pre-amp for 11 years now and through a sustained wind of 85 miles per hour and thick ice and snow it still is the same shape as the day I put it up. Not even one broken element on it. And I paid $200 back then. Most dealers here don't like to sell them because it ships in 2 boxes. The next best antenna is a wineguard. In my case I pick up stations up to around 150 miles away and no I don't live on a mountain but half way down a large hill.
Location is a big factor and also as another mentioned a good pre-amp. I also would suggest a combination antenna as later some stations may go back to vhf or vice-versa (uhf). Good luck!

i live in los angeles and i want to get the channels from tijuana, mexico. i remember i was able to get the channels from tijuana, mex just with an indoor antenna in the hot summers but not anymore! :( im crazy i know! lol

I live in th ecentral valley of Ca. Some of my stations are 66 miles away and I receive them perfectly with a Channelmaster Quamtum with pre-amp and rotor. The land here is flat.

there are no quarantees for 70+ miles so you will need the best choices of antennas and as much height as possible.

separates will outperform combos

Therefore disagree with the antenna choices so far.

uhf KFOR-DT 4.1 NBC OKLAHOMA CITY OK 40° 6.0 27
uhf KWTV-DT 9.1 CBS OKLAHOMA CITY OK 40° 6.0 39 going to ch 9 in 2009
uhf KAUT-DT 43.1 MNT OKLAHOMA CITY OK 46° 5.8 40
uhf KETA-DT 13.1 PBS OKLAHOMA CITY OK 40° 6.0 32 going to ch 13 in 2009
uhf KOPX-DT 62.1 ION OKLAHOMA CITY OK 40° 6.0 50
uhf KOCB-DT 34.1 CW OKLAHOMA CITY OK 65° 4.8 33
vhf KOCO-DT 5.1 ABC OKLAHOMA CITY OK 62° 4.6 7 staying at ch 7 in 2009
uhf KOKH-DT 25.1 FOX OKLAHOMA CITY OK 73° 4.4 24
uhf KSBI-DT 52.1 IND OKLAHOMA CITY OK 40° 6.0 51
uhf KTUZ-DT 29.1 TEL SHAWNEE OK 139° 21.9 29
uhf KTBO-DT 14.1 TBN OKLAHOMA CITY OK 53° 5.2 15

I suggest the 91xg for uhf combined with the winegard ya1713 for the high band vhf channels combined with a cm7777 preamp. do not suggest the cm 3671 or the hd8200p or the antennacraft or anything else (including the cm4228).

91xg $80
ya1713 $40
total $120

compared to
cm3671 $125
hd8200p $169

cm7777 $56

the 91xg and ya1713 combination will outperform both the cm3671 and hd8200p and are less money. I would have suggested the hd8200p or cm3671 in the past but from first hand experiences the 91xg and ya1713 perform better.

The cm 4228 is a decent performer for uhf but is just so big and clumsy, present alot of windloading and difficult to manage, you can stack the 91xg and ya1713 on a shorter mast, and the cm 4228 is a risk for distant hi band vhf reception.

the ap 8275 is ok but the cm 7777 tends to perform better and is in a metal housing vs plastic.

the channelmaster quantum series antennas were discontinued around the year 2000.

the 91xg, ya1713, and cm 7777 are available at solid signal and would be my first attempt at your home.

Last edited:
If you read insomniaheads posting history he has asked this question before and if you check antennweb you will find his DMA is Sherman Dennison TX./ Ardmore Ok 30-50 miles SW easily receivable. He wants ABC which is missing from that market. Oklahoma City does offer an ABC affiliate but it is a VHF and probably lower power broadcaster which will complicate his distant reception. A cut to channel antenna aimed at ABC with a Preamp on a tower is going to be his greatest chance of success for Oklahoma City.
For the money he is going to invest he would probably have a better investment aiming South where his primary DMA is and trying to pickup the Dallas /Fort Worth DMA. Channel 8 ABC has a very strong analog signal that probably would be available their ch 9 digital broadcast may not make it but that market has more channels available and the direction would be correct for his primary market.

First, let me make you aware there is no such thing as a HD antenna. The regular antennas get stamped with HD and it is a slick marketing sale. I have some experience testing antennas and the best in my book is JERALD which is made now in CANADA. I have had one with a pre-amp for 11 years now and through a sustained wind of 85 miles per hour and thick ice and snow it still is the same shape as the day I put it up. Not even one broken element on it. And I paid $200 back then. Most dealers here don't like to sell them because it ships in 2 boxes. The next best antenna is a wineguard. In my case I pick up stations up to around 150 miles away and no I don't live on a mountain but half way down a large hill.
Location is a big factor and also as another mentioned a good pre-amp. I also would suggest a combination antenna as later some stations may go back to vhf or vice-versa (uhf). Good luck!

I read your post and did some research for this brand of antenna.

The Jerrold antenna is now Delhi antenna, and is still Canadian.

VHF UHF Wi-Fi Antennas and Towers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts