All strength no quality.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
TP Freq 11750 NOT 11705! Maybe it was just a typo?

Roger,

That TP frequency is irrelevant. It may not be a valid TP currently, but it is probably just contained in the factory listing. It pops up for Clckwrk because it is the lowest numerical TP and therefore the first TP in his list. When he opens the setup menu page, that TP shows up for him because it is at the front of his TP list.

RADAR

Blind scan resulted in nothing. No found TP no channel listing.

So I'm crystal clear on this. You want me to in the Antenna setup screen set frequency to 10750 and I'll leave tone on as it's always on. (EDIT: I'll have to add 10750 through sat/tp edit as well since it's not in the default list on the box) The go to Sat/TP edit add a TP for 10.600MHz, then go back to antenna setup and select this new TP with the 22KHz tone on.

Clckwrk,

No sir. You are thinking of the wrong frequency. There is the frequency for the "Local Oscillator" which is called the LNB FREQUENCY in the AZBox antenna setup menu. There is also the transponder frequency. I don't want you to change the transponder frequency. I want you to change the LNB FREQUENCY or the L.O. from UNIVERSAL to 10750 and then to 10600.

I just want you to double check that you indeed do have a UNIVERSAL LNBF and not something else. A standard LNBF will use a local oscillator frequency of 10750 (the UNIVERSAL LNBF will use two frequencies 9750 for the low band and 10600 for the high band).

If your results are still the same (nil) change it back to UNIVERSAL with the 22 KHz TONE set to ON.

RADAR

Clckwrk,

No sir. You are thinking of the wrong frequency. There is the frequency for the "Local Oscillator" which is called the LNB FREQUENCY in the AZBox antenna setup menu. There is also the transponder frequency. I don't want you to change the transponder frequency. I want you to change the LNB FREQUENCY or the L.O. from UNIVERSAL to 10750 and then to 10600.

I just want you to double check that you indeed do have a UNIVERSAL LNBF and not something else. A standard LNBF will use a local oscillator frequency of 10750 (the UNIVERSAL LNBF will use two frequencies 9750 for the low band and 10600 for the high band).

If your results are still the same (nil) change it back to UNIVERSAL with the 22 KHz TONE set to ON.

RADAR

Ah apologies, read that as TP frequency. Will do, report back in a few.

Clckwrk,

RADAR

No change. I tried with both with tone on and then off. There is also a 9750/10600 in the list and I tried that as well.

Inside the LNBF, there is an oscillator that runs at a specific frequency. In the STANDARD LNBF, this frequency is 10.750 GHz (10750 MHz). The UNIVERSAL LNBF has two local oscillators. One for the low Ku band signals (9.750 GHz / 9750 MHz) and one for the high Ku band (10.600 GHz / 10600 MHz).

With the UNIVERSAL LNBF you activate the high Ku band local oscillator by turning the 22 KHz tone ON (when off it activates the low Ku band oscillator). The STANDARD LNBF doesn't care whether the 22 KHz tone is set to ON or OFF, so it doesn't matter what you do with that setting.

To ensure what type of LNBF you have, we are going to change the antenna setting menu to tell the AZBox that it is a STANDARD LNBF with a local oscillator of 10750 MHz and see if we get any response. If we suddenly get a signal quality reading, then you don't have a UNIVERSAL LNBF, you have a STANDARD LNBF.

I doubt this to be the case, but I want to ensure that we cover this base.

The next step (setting the LNBF FREQUENCY to 10600 and the 22 KHz tone ON) is just the same as telling the AZBox that we are using a UNIVERSAL LNBF, but we are just going to select the high Ku band local oscillator ONLY and ignore the low band. This is to determine whether or not the UNIVERSAL setting is working properly in your AZBox.

RADAR

Next step.

Are you sure that you are accessing the proper menu for monitoring your signal while you are aligning your dish?
I have to nail you down on this because it is the next most obvious error to make. You must set the AZBox to the
SAT/TP EDIT menu and select the desired satellite and then select the desired TP from that sat. Do not back out of
this menu. Remain on that page just as you have it set and then dial your dish around to seek out a signal.
Ensure that the TP showing on the screen is one of the TPs that we discussed earlier and not the default one at the
beginning of your list.

I must inform you that 90% (or greater) of the troubles with dish alignment are due to human error and not defective
equipment. So take plenty of time to analyze everything that you are doing and report what you are doing back here.

Obviously, there is something wrong here. We just need more information to identify what it is. It is difficult at times
to identify what it is when we can only exchange words and we are not on site with you. But, we'll muddle through it
and get it resolved in the end.

RADAR

Is this the only cable going outside? Are there other cables coming in to the house? You also mentioned this:

Although here, I haven't done the math to see if I'm over the tree line, where as the first bird I know I am.

What is your southern most satellite? That should be the highest in the sky for you. Maybe you should try for that sat and see if you can get a lock on it. Also is this all new equipment?

Is this the only cable going outside? Are there other cables coming in to the house? You also mentioned this:

Although here, I haven't done the math to see if I'm over the tree line, where as the first bird I know I am.

What is your southern most satellite? That should be the highest in the sky for you. Maybe you should try for that sat and see if you can get a lock on it. Also is this all new equipment?

I've shortened my run to a 5'-6' RG-6 cable that I run right threw a window to the AZbox and tv. Move the dish monitor kind of situation.

Probably the satellite I started with AMC-9 if I remember correctly. Even there I've had pretty much the same situation.

Next step.

Are you sure that you are accessing the proper menu for monitoring your signal while you are aligning your dish?
I have to nail you down on this because it is the next most obvious error to make. You must set the AZBox to the
SAT/TP EDIT menu and select the desired satellite and then select the desired TP from that sat. Do not back out of
this menu. Remain on that page just as you have it set and then dial your dish around to seek out a signal.
Ensure that the TP showing on the screen is one of the TPs that we discussed earlier and not the default one at the
beginning of your list.

I must inform you that 90% (or greater) of the troubles with dish alignment are due to human error and not defective
equipment. So take plenty of time to analyze everything that you are doing and report what you are doing back here.

Obviously, there is something wrong here. We just need more information to identify what it is. It is difficult at times
to identify what it is when we can only exchange words and we are not on site with you. But, we'll muddle through it
and get it resolved in the end.

RADAR

The route I go is Antenna setup and set the satellite in there, leave the LNBF stuff as it is, and set the tp frequency in that menu. then go down to Sat/TP Edit and setup the TP that I want in there. Then muck about with the dish.

The only reason that I'm so willing to continue to work at this is I know that in all probability this is just something that I don't know to do. Not broken merch.

I'm willing though to muddle as much as you all a willing to muddle. Worse comes to worst, I'll see if I've a local installer that has done an FTA system, or I'll find out about return policies. Not really willing to give up just yet.

How about a photo of your southern horizon so we can see what's up? Is this new equipment or used?

How about a photo of your southern horizon so we can see what's up? Is this new equipment or used?

Equipment is new. Photos....

Dish is about 6" above my head....

CIMG0091.jpg

South on the compass, tree line here is about 150'
CIMG0092.jpg
217 deg would run right down the middle of these, where this tree line is about 70' away. Hence my worries about Galaxy 19....

Last edited:
That's a lot of trees! They may or may not be a problem. It's a little late for this, should have done this the first week of March, but you can probably still use this calculator to determine where the sun is in the sky. This calculator tells you when the sun aligns with the sats. You go outside to the dish and view the sun on the dates and times that it is supposed to be aligned and if the sun in in the trees, then the satellite is blocked. If the sun is above the trees then you are OK.

Because it is three weeks off (in the past), it won't be entirely accurate, but it might give you a rough idea. Use the same time for the last date shown in the calculator and use PC LOCAL time.

Sun Outage Calculator

You might have to set your dish on the top of your roof so that you get a good LOS. The satellites are higher in the sky then you imagine, but those are some pretty tall trees and you have the house on the left that is going to block anything in that direction.

RADAR

Last edited:
That's a lot of trees! They may or may not be a problem. It's a little late for this, should have done this the first week of March, but you can probably still use this calculator to determine where the sun is in the sky. This calculator tells you when the sun aligns with the sats. You go outside to the dish and view the sun on the dates and times that it is supposed to be aligned and if the sun in in the trees, then the satellite is blocked. If the sun is above the trees then you are OK.

Because it is three weeks off, it won't be entirely accurate, but it might give you a rough idea.

Sun Outage Calculator

You might have to set your dish on the top of your roof so that you get a good LOS.

RADAR

Yeah It's north carolina we're known for these obnoxious pines. I was encouraged by the previous owner having a Directtv dish in the spot where I now have mine. I don't see them being a problem for AMC-9 but Galaxy 19, might be a bit of a stretch.

I'm realigning to AMC-9 now.

So let me give a play by play here so maybe someone will read this and it will spark something in their minds.

I decided before I give up today to try and realign to AMC-9 as it's higher and I understand the concern for the tree line. Here's what I've done step by step.

With the azbox off, I took my compass out stood under the dish put a screwdriver in the ground and starting walking about 15 feet out at 195 degrees. At which point I put another screwdriver in the ground to give me a nice line.

Next I hope up on my ladder, and skew the lnbf roughly 5.3 toward the west. Then I unbolt the mount and line up 48 with the center of the bolt for the elevation and tighten both sides down. While still on the ladder I hook up the signal meter to the lnbf. Then line up the arm and the lnbf with the line of screwdrivers. Getting up and down off the ladder several times to make sure it's as nice as I can get it to the line of screwdrivers.

Next I turn on the azbox, go into antenna setup, choose amc-9, lnbf frequency universal, tp frequency 11735. Then I turn to that obnoxious squelling box. I lvl adj so that the needle is around 5, then move the dish east or west and check whether needle moves up or down. If it moves up I move it up as far as it will go, then lvl adj down to 5 again and repeat until any move lowers the needle. Wait a good 2 minutes, 65% strength Quality 0%.

I shutoff the azbox, disconnect the meter, hook it all back up, turn the azbox back on.

Back into anetenna setup, I choose amc-9 again, lnbf already on universal, and select the tp frequency at 11735. I exit that menu, then go to SAT/TP Edit.

Satellite name is already set to amc-9
I set the tp frequency to 11735
the symbol rate of 4440 comes from the selection of the tp
polarization is horizontal, modulation dvb0s/qpsk, fec auto, pilot 0

Wait here for 2 minutes, strength 65% quality 0%.

Now comes the nudging, left right up down, I do this for about 15-20 minutes at a shot, it doesn't change anything.

Welp I've had enough for today, I'll be contacting the vendor tomorrow but if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks.

Then I unbolt the mount and line up 48 with the center of the bolt for the elevation and tighten both sides down.

Clckwrk,

Here is one of your problems. Don't use the bolt to line up your elevation mark. That will set your elevation wrong. There is a pointer or a painted mark that you need to use to line up to the elevation scale. That is one thing that is throwing you off here, your dish elevation isn't set where it should be because you are referencing the bolt and not the marker.

Since the dish is brand new, you should be able to see the marker, it shouldn't be faded out. It should be a red or a white painted line or maybe a stamped impression. Can you find this on your dish mounting bracket?

RADAR

Well this thread moved.

Yep that is a lot of trees. Maybe do a site survey with a home made clinometer to make sure what sats you can see.

http://www.virtualmaths.org/activities/topic_shapes/theod2/resources/clinometer.pdf

Isn't that a cute little thing. Apparently I can't leave this alone, I printed this and standing under the dish at 195 for AMC-9 I look through the tube and nothing but sky. For Galaxy 19 at 217 nothing but sky. So if I'm using this little jobber right then I've a clear shot as the dish is higher than I am tall.

Clckwrk,

Here is one of your problems. Don't use the bolt to line up your elevation mark. That will set your elevation wrong. There is a pointer or a painted mark that you need to use to line up to the elevation scale. That is one thing that is throwing you off here, your dish elevation isn't set where it should be because you are referencing the bolt and not the marker.

Since the dish is brand new, you should be able to see the marker, it shouldn't be faded out. It should be a red or a white painted line or maybe a stamped impression. Can you find this on your dish mounting bracket?

RADAR

Just when I thought I was out.

Let me get the ladder.....there is certainly a red line inside the mounting piece.

I tried lining up again for AMC-9 but still not getting anything. OK, so elevations have been wrong. I'll try and line up again when I have a shot.

Last edited:
I know this sounds stupid but I've done this before when switching receivers to test. My one receiver has the LNB IN connection on top and my other receiver has the LNB IN connection on the bottom and I just quickly swapped the cable. Took me an hour to find out why my motor wasn't moving the dish! :D Do you have the cable from the dish in the LNB in connection?

Proper settings of elevation are the most common mistake. Radar pinpointed it right on. Do not call professional installers - you are going to do it. Cheers, polgyver

Let me get the ladder.....there is certainly a red line inside the mounting piece.

I tried lining up again for AMC-9 but still not getting anything. OK, so elevations have been wrong. I'll try and line up again when I have a shot.

Yes, it should be along the edge of the metal piece that shows through the cut-out window for the elevation scale. I use the leading edge of the metal where the mark is. Since the scale markings aren't very detailed, you can't exactly pinpoint tenths of degrees. You just have to get close and then fine tune it later once you detect a signal.

Between this and getting a good cable for your whole length, you should find much better results.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)