All the SES 4K channels will be going fiber only on January 1, 2021.

VictoriaFTA

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2018
Chicago
Just an FYI. Travelxp, Insight, etc on 101W. They''re moving to Zixi.

NASA 4K should remain on 127W.

Hey Brian, remember that time you called me Chicken Little and tried to damage control by claiming that C-band wasn't going to gradually lose channels to fiber due to the 5G auction? ;)

I've been seeing a lot of C-band channels moving to fiber distribution this year and no new channels being uplinked. Here's some more :rolleyes:

Damage control? For what? Sharing what I know about the industry and from conversations with satellite uplink centers?

Been hitting the bottle a bit hard this evening? LOL!!!

I assure you, Chicken Little, the sky is not falling... a few channels moving to fiber has nothing to do with 5g auctions which have yet to be negotiated or scheduled. A lot of shuffling is going on as companies aggregate services and shift frequencies to clear the lower band so they qualify for the early clearing funding incentives.

In case you missed... Many new next generation satellites have been recently been ordered, launch vehicles are being booked and launch schedules set. Why are so many new C-band satellite being ordered and launched if the service is ending? If that were the case, wouldn't it make more sense for the corporations to take the funding and run? No, instead they are reinvesting in a technology that will yield them and their investors a return. Guess these satellite corporations know something that you are betting against... LOL!

Channels are always moving to preferred distribution methods. So what if a few channels are moving to fiber. We have seen hundreds of channels come and go through the years.

Just an FYI. Travelxp, Insight, etc on 101W. They''re moving to Zixi.

NASA 4K should remain on 127W.

Hey Brian, remember that time you called me Chicken Little and tried to damage control by claiming that C-band wasn't going to gradually lose channels to fiber due to the 5G auction? ;)

I've been seeing a lot of C-band channels moving to fiber distribution this year and no new channels being uplinked. Here's some more :rolleyes:

guys i think your forgeting one thing mexico and these other countries are very poor they cant afford 100 dollar month tv bills the average person might make 25 dollars a week only thing they watch is fta on satellite for free their will be a lot more fta channels coming this year

I can't speak for C-band, but there is a very obvious decline in the amount of KU feed availability over the past year. Some of that is due to COVID and lack of sports I'm sure, but ABC is gone, FOX Edge is gone, some of the in-store audio feeds are gone, NBC NC 1-12 are gone. I saw the writing on the wall and downsized now while there was still some money to be made off my equipment. Originally I was going to wait until my move next year, but decided now was the time.

I believe IP delivery is the future, at least from the hobbyist standpoint. Just look at the number of legal IPTV feeds available. There's no shortage of content to watch.

Reactions: raydio and TNGuy84
Once they quit selling programming to individual C-band dish owners, I knew C-band was going downhill. You can get a selection of OTA channels FTA with the big dish along with some religious and foreign content, but it's a dying medium. I used to want to get into the big dish about 14-15 years ago, but now, I wouldn't spend a penny on the equipment.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I used to want to get into the big dish about 14-15 years ago, but now, I wouldn't spend a penny on the equipment.

I felt the exact same way, I was looking forward to eventually installing a large C-band dish. But now I just don't see the point in the investment. I can get just about everything available via IP.

I can't speak for C-band, but there is a very obvious decline in the amount of KU feed availability over the past year. Some of that is due to COVID and lack of sports I'm sure, but ABC is gone, FOX Edge is gone, some of the in-store audio feeds are gone, NBC NC 1-12 are gone. I saw the writing on the wall and downsized now while there was still some money to be made off my equipment. Originally I was going to wait until my move next year, but decided now was the time.

I believe IP delivery is the future, at least from the hobbyist standpoint. Just look at the number of legal IPTV feeds available. There's no shortage of content to watch.
Very true.....Nothing like the good old days of FTA. Things change. It's a hobby and it is still fun to mess with.

I thought the whole point to BUD's was to reduce costs but when the only reliable way to get programming was through subs, there is/was no real benefit to having a BUD. Might as well have got a sub to a pizza dish outfit or cable. Now IPTV/streaming is all the rage. I suppose I should up my internet service to 1 Gb and not bother putting in my new BUD. My current router can do 1 Gb on the WAN port so I'm set there.

Satellites will be around for a long time so it's not end of world.

Look a bright side of future for satellite maybe on better video codecs and who's know what we might have FTL Subspace radio coming our way!

Stay positive my friend! :) :hatsoff

I felt the exact same way, I was looking forward to eventually installing a large C-band dish. But now I just don't see the point in the investment. I can get just about everything available via IP.

Stop by on your way west and I’ll toss the C-Band stuff in the truck for you. If we hadn’t sold the Vegas place this month, I might have taken it out there and left it.

Satellites will be around for a long time so it's not end of world.

I hope you're right.

Look a bright side of future for satellite maybe on better video codecs and who's know what we might have FTL Subspace radio coming our way!

Stay positive my friend! :) :hatsoff

FTL subspace radio? You watch too much Star Trek........ :p

Well that's part of evolution, and hopefully we get out the mess if we humanity over come the covid-19.

Main thing is stay positive and no matter the problem is.

Anyway, little off topic for satellite TV DXing topic. :hatsoff

I thought the whole point to BUD's was to reduce costs but when the only reliable way to get programming was through subs, there is/was no real benefit to having a BUD. Might as well have got a sub to a pizza dish outfit or cable. Now IPTV/streaming is all the rage. I suppose I should up my internet service to 1 Gb and not bother putting in my new BUD. My current router can do 1 Gb on the WAN port so I'm set there.

When I first started frequenting SatGuys in the early 00's, the big advantage of the Bud, aside access to both C and Ku FTA, was the fact that people could subscribe to ala carte programming with little picture quality reduction compared to the pizza dish companies. I remember people bragging about it all the time in this forum. C-Band was even one of the main forum listings until paid programming was out of reach. Then it was relegated to a sub-listing of FTA.

Reactions: Captain Midnight
Equipment is cheaper than it has ever been. I don't see why the gloom and doom. I like feed stalking alone enough to justify what I have spent on equipment. And there is definitely some hope with the new launches! I'm not saying go buy a new 10ft or 12ft dish, but keep your eye open for used ones. I've spent a total of $200 on 2 7.5', 2 10', and a 1.0m & 1.2m set of Channel Masters for Ku.

Glad some of you may have access to good broadband internet, but I am still limited to DSL.

I thought the whole point to BUD's was to reduce costs but when the only reliable way to get programming was through subs, there is/was no real benefit to having a BUD.

I think you are missing the evolution of the BUD.

C Band distribution was never meant for the general public it was a commercial distribution system. In the early days people found about the free programming and those that were able built their own dishes. A need developed and businesses began to market BUD’s and mass produce them. These were the days when there were no zoning restrictions. If you were around at the time HBO scrambled the BUD owner had no way to subscribe to it or later the superstations WGN and TBS plus ESPN. Finally some brokers were able to ink deals with the major players and we were able to buy the VideoCypher, subscribe and watch. It was cheaper than cable at the time and benefitted rural people who had no access to cable so you see it was not at all like Dish, Direct or Orby who had all their ducks in a row before they started marketing their product. They put the horse before the cart. C Band put the cart before the horse so to speak.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)