ALL VOOM TO GO MPEG4 AUGUST 15th

If Dish is HD-lite then Directv must really be HD-lite,or not HD.Believe me I noticed a difference.
In my opinion, Dish Networks MPEG2 HD quality is much better than DirecTV's. However DirecTV's MPEG4 HD (the MPEG4 locals I get via DirecTV) look better than Dish Networks.

Scott, are Dish's locals in MPEG4? And if so are they using the new encoders? Seems like when they did a test of MPEG4 the PQ was very impressive.

I have had VOOM since VOOM started, and my 211 is receiving VOOM, and it's worse than with my old 811.

On my new VIP211, OTA HD looks like SD, maybe 5% better, but really awful.

My 211 setup is 720p, the same as my tv (Samsung HLN437W).

My picture looks like an uncalibrated tv; it was perfect with my 811.

Could any of my problems be due to switching from a DVI-DVI cable to a HDMI-DVI cable?

Thanks,
Martin Nystrand

I was one of the original Voom subscribers and have had the Dish Voom since Dish acquired the channels.

I recently swapped my 6000 receiver for the 211.

The picture quality is superb and many of the Voom channels are on a par with the Comcast HD channels I also receive. Even digital sd looks great.

Sending 1080i to my 1080p display.

Shelly

I don't think that you are understanding Navy's point. If someone had one HD receiver and 5 SD receivers it would be a mess for them to upgrade all 5 receivers to 211's just to move to the new SAT's. Yes you would have to at least upgrade your HD receiver to get HD programing but you could keep all the SD systems the same if they did not move the current HD off the existing SAT's. They would be able to plan the costs of upgrading over a period of time.

I didn't miss his point and if you look at my response I said in HIS situation it would be a problem, but that DISH could offer to upgrade all his receivers at the same time he upgraded to mpeg 4 hd receiver and the new sats or he could just have two dishes . Either way ALL customers will have to be upgraded to mpeg 4 to receive any HD at all if Scott is right . Dish is looking at eliminating all mpeg 2 receivers evenutally in the next 2 - 3 years. I don't think that a they will keep hd on all the old sats and the newer ones too unless they want more duplication . But then again they could do this : They could leave what is already there in mpeg 4 on the older sats and if you wanted any new mpeg 4 hd channels, you would have to repoint to the new sats or risk paying the same amount for less hd channels as they go on line. The choice would be the customers then. Most would upgrade to the newer sats to get MORE hd , rather than pay the same for less , don't you think?

Most would upgrade to the newer sats to get MORE hd , rather than pay the same for less , don't you think?

The answer to your question is that it depends. I would upgrade because I only have one non MPEG4 receiver in my house. If I had 3 or 4 SD receivers to upgrade it may be a different story. Having to pay over a few hundred dollars would cause me to take a look at all my options. Other providers may look better if the costs were to high. Dish has to be really careful how they handle this to avoid massive turnover. This is why I still feel that they will leave the current HD on the existing SAT's.

Someday, hopefully at least a year or 2 away, I will have to pay to upgrade one or both of my SD receivers (or go without), lose my grandfathered DVR status and start paying more DVR fees (no point in having a non-DVR receiver, in my view, unless the external storage works with ViP211/222), and maybe also pay to reaim a satellite dish. I'm very happy with Dish, but there are limits.

I guess I'd better start recording stuff off the 721 and 508 now, onto DVD.

Of course, if my bedroom SDTV dies, moving up to an HDTV is a no brainer. Then I decide to replace an SD receiver with a ViP, or just set up the ViP622 in dual mode. But then, the transition would be on my schedule, not because I'm forced into it.

I believe Dish will keep HD on the current satellites, at least for another year and probably longer. Too many people would be forced to move with too little notice if they only had HD on new sat locations, and SD receivers would have to be dumped. Of course, I could also put up a dish farm on my roof.

The answer to your question is that it depends. I would upgrade because I only have one non MPEG4 receiver in my house. If I had 3 or 4 SD receivers to upgrade it may be a different story. Having to pay over a few hundred dollars would cause me to take a look at all my options. Other providers may look better if the costs were to high. Dish has to be really careful how they handle this to avoid massive turnover. This is why I still feel that they will leave the current HD on the existing SAT's.

You may be right. THey might just leave the CURRENT hd channels at the old sat locations, but the newer ones I bet your will be at the new sats. IF you want more hd channels you have to upgrade to mpeg4 receiver and repoint to the new sats, or pay the same as today and receive less hd offerings.

I called the phone number I got on an email from DISH and as a long time customer and Voom sub, I was able to get a even swap for my two 921 receivers for two owned 622 receivers. No lease for me since I had to buy all of my DVR receivers.

I called the phone number I got on an email from DISH and as a long time customer and Voom sub, I was able to get a even swap for my two 921 receivers for two owned 622 receivers. No lease for me since I had to buy all of my DVR receivers.

You had better have that in writing, because I have not heard of Dish providing owned receivers to anyone, only from retailers.

You can buy receivers outright from Dish.When I just switched from Directv 1 week ago . I had the option to buy them out right. Alot more money,but I don't mind a lease.Stll cheaper the Directvs Equipment.

In my opinion, Dish Networks MPEG2 HD quality is much better than DirecTV's. However DirecTV's MPEG4 HD (the MPEG4 locals I get via DirecTV) look better than Dish Networks.
I still don't get any HD locals.Any of the HD I have now on E* is better then D* is. Atleast on my Tv. But SD programming I think Directv is better, Hands down. Sorry Dish !

I still don't get any HD locals.Any of the HD I have now on E* is better then D* is. Atleast on my Tv. But SD programming I think Directv is better, Hands down. Sorry Dish !

You have got to be kidding about the sd quality right? I thought that all sd was so crammed in there on 101 that the picture was crappy. I used to have Directv in 2003 for one year just to compare with my DISH picture and I didn't think that the picture was so great even back then.

I will find out myself today how it looks , when I get the Directv international dish hooked up so I can get 1 damn channel that has "Passions" on it come Sept. 17th. My wife demanded that we add them just for this show. I ended up buying the international Itailian pack for 9.99 and the basic pack with 101 channel for 9.99, so for around $20.00 I can get this show. I would of went with family pack but no channel 101 in this pack. IT is a requirement that you take either the basic pack for 9.99 or the select choice ( just like top 100 but better channels ) for 29.99, when you buy a international channel. I picked the lowest priced channel just so we could get the one channel. IT looks like we will also get 50 Xm channels in the basic pack to go with my Siruis channels from DISH. Also some religious stations that we don't have on DISH, and I get my locals included for the same 9.99 price. Always good to have extra local channels you can record from.

"You have got to be kidding about the sd quality right? I thought that all sd was so crammed in there on 101 that the picture was crappy. I used to have Directv in 2003 for one year just to compare with my DISH picture and I didn't think that the picture was so great even back then."

That makes two of us, I think SD with Directv looks like crap compared to SD with Dish Network. I also had Directv for 6 months and I inmediately noticed the big difference in quality and this was on small TVs (20 and 27).

It can make a big difference which input you view your SD from too.

On my TV, with every HD receiver I've ever had (622, 942, 811) most of the SD channels look terrible through an HD input (either component or DVI). There are a few exceptions and I don't know why but mostly SD looks much better (to me) when viewed from my tv's composite / S-Vid connections. Some SD channels actually have exceptional PQ. They're still SD of course but none the less quite good.

:confused: So what's the best TV to watch the SD channels? Not on an HDTV, that's for sure.

It depends on a lot of things:

* The size of the TV compared to your viewing distance

* The quality of your receiver

* The quality of your TV's scaler

* The type of connection

* The source material

I have a 61" JVC HD61FN97 set (LCOS), and the SD from Dish Network looks really good (to my eyes) on most channels from about 11 or 12 feet away with the box set to 1080i and using an HDMI connection. It looks better than Comcast's analog stations and most of their digital stations, and it looks way better than VOOM's SD did when I had it.

I'd really like to try UVerse sometime, just for the SD, since it's supposedly got about the best SD picture quality. I wonder if it's possible to just use Dish for HD and locals with the ViP 622 and not have to subscribe to SD programming? If anyone has had UVerse or FIOS, how much better is the SD than the typical Dish channel, especially if viewed on a large screen?

You have got to be kidding about the sd quality right? I thought that all sd was so crammed in there on 101 that the picture was crappy. I used to have Directv in 2003 for one year just to compare with my DISH picture and I didn't think that the picture was so great even back then.

I will find out myself today how it looks , when I get the Directv international dish hooked up so I can get 1 damn channel that has "Passions" on it come Sept. 17th. My wife demanded that we add them just for this show. I ended up buying the international Itailian pack for 9.99 and the basic pack with 101 channel for 9.99, so for around $20.00 I can get this show. I would of went with family pack but no channel 101 in this pack. IT is a requirement that you take either the basic pack for 9.99 or the select choice ( just like top 100 but better channels ) for 29.99, when you buy a international channel. I picked the lowest priced channel just so we could get the one channel. IT looks like we will also get 50 Xm channels in the basic pack to go with my Siruis channels from DISH. Also some religious stations that we don't have on DISH, and I get my locals included for the same 9.99 price. Always good to have extra local channels you can record from.
Well its on the same tv.HDMI on Vip622 and HDMI on HR-20. I even switched the cables and Imputs just to make sure it wasn't the connections.Guess what if my wife can notice it must be true.Its NOT as clear of a picture on my set as Directv.Like it or not ,its a fact in my house.

"You have got to be kidding about the sd quality right? I thought that all sd was so crammed in there on 101 that the picture was crappy. I used to have Directv in 2003 for one year just to compare with my DISH picture and I didn't think that the picture was so great even back then."

That makes two of us, I think SD with Directv looks like crap compared to SD with Dish Network. I also had Directv for 6 months and I inmediately noticed the big difference in quality and this was on small TVs (20 and 27).
Well sorry but I think Dishes SD is not the best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)