Alliance of American Football

Reports: Alliance of American Football suspends operations, just weeks into inaugural season

The Alliance of American Football, which has played just eight weeks of games in its inaugural season, is suspending operations.

There are multiple reports, from Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk and Daniel Kaplan of Sports Business Journal, that the fledgling league is at minimum ceasing all football operations on Tuesday though it isn’t folding entirely — yet.

Darren Rovell of The Action Network reports that the decision is being made by league owner Tom Dundon over the objections of founders Charlie Ebersol and Bill Polian.

There is a conference call scheduled for Tuesday afternoon that should shed more light on the situation.

There have been stories for weeks that the league quickly ran into financial trouble, and those clearly continued despite the influx of money from Dundon. Rovell wrote that Dundon will lose $70 million on the investment he made.

Reactions: madmadworld
I liked the idea and planned to watch them but either forgot about them or found myself busy every time they were on. I think I watched maybe 10 minutes total.

Our local QB Logan Woodside / Toledo Rockets was playing for San Antonio so that drew me in originally.. there were also several former Buckeyes on teams.
Then with Manziel joining late also brought more interest.

I'm disappointed that they have called the season ... you would have thought they could have at least worked out something to finish the last 2 games of the year and get thru what would be a short playoff season (with only 8 teams.)

I haven't seen a source, but I've seen some claim that all the player contracts will be terminated tomorrow, and everyone else after that.

Additionally, XFL reportedly already poking around for potential acquisition targets from the remains.

:wtf Kinda business model did they start with ?

There should have been 8 millionaires willing to lose 60 100 mil a piece over 3-5 years. there also needed show money for year one at least. I figured payroll at less than a million a week.

Recorded every game, played them on a screen in the man cave. mostly while watching something else.:hatsoff
but did Really watch about 1 a week,

Good luck to Jim with XFL . he seems to be going to micro manage his shot at it.

I hear rumors that now the AAF is not wanting to pay for players medicals?

Horrible!
I was excited about the AAF, it’s a shame it didn’t even last a whole season.

They claim that without the NFL allowing non-roster players to play in the AAF it could not function. They envisioned themselves as a farm team system for the NFL but never negotiated that prior to going live. How incredibly ignorant. Did they seriously think the NFL was going to allow it's players to play in a non-NFL league while still under contract to the NFL? With all the concussion protocols the NFL has in place did they really believe the NFL would allow their players to play non-NFL games where there would be no NFL personnel around to enforce those protocols, for instance? This proves that just because you're rich doesn't mean you're smart. :coco

Reactions: Jimbo
Lasted longer than I thought it would.

The only way a minor football league is going to survive is as an official farm league of the NFL, with funding from the NFL, and using players that can't/shouldn't be in college or having made the roster.

The only way a minor football league is going to survive is as an official farm league of the NFL, with funding from the NFL, and using players that can't/shouldn't be in college or having made the roster.

Tried that twice. WLAF and NFL Europe/Europa. Didn't work either.

It seems that Americans want more football. Until given more football. People like the NFL as it is and are satisfied with what it gives them

Its hard to have a farm league in a physical sport such as football...too many people get hurt

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: KaptainRandom

It seems that Americans want more football. Until given more football. People like the NFL as it is and are satisfied with what it gives them
That's in Europe (where no one cares about football), I'm talking about here.

They do want more football, this was an investment issue, not a popularity issue.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts