Alternate wiring options?

Pyewacket

Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
Vancouver BC
The council in our townhouse complex is being a jerk about people who've affixed their satellite dishes to the building. That said, we'll probably have to put it on a tripod. They also mentioned something about getting a wireless transmitter so we don't have to drill through the wall to get the cable through. I've heard they're not that great. But I did hear that there's a flat cable you can get that will go through a door/window so you can still close it completely.

Does anyone know about those? And if so, are they easy to get in any store?

Uh the only wireless transmitter I've heard of would be something for TV2 picture really isn't that great and not something that I'd want done. Btw do you own or rent your townhouse? If you own you can tell the council to take a flying leap and point them to this: http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html . Even if you're a renter you have certain rights. If you are forced to not drill holes on the exterior then there is a flat cable option that's now approved for DishPro installs luckily for you. I don't know if any DNS/RSP installers carry it on their vans so you're probably better off contacting a retailer if you need to have an install done with that.

i've seen "wireless transmitters" that work through glass... but I have no first hand experience with them... and i believe they are pricey, you can either find a local dealer to get a piece of flat cable, or visit one of this site's sponsors

here, i googled it... something like this is wireless but i dont know how well they work

http://www.sell.com/2Q7FV

Last edited:
The product that broadcast the L-band signal and induced the LNB powering though glass was called Glass Link and was made by Channel Plus. They made at least two different models for different thicknesses of glass. I installed a couple and never had any problem with them. I think I either paid around $120 each or sold it for that price - I don't remember which - and probably bought them five or six years ago. The fact that they discontinued the product implies that they may have had an unacceptable record for satisfying customers. If you Google for it, you can probably find someone who can sell you one from "old" new stock.

Last edited:
I see that model 1111 is for single pane glass and 1112 is for double pane:
http://www.channelplus.com/pdf/manuals/glslink1.pdf

I found a technical report that said ChannelPlus also offered a power booster because the efficiency of the inductive power transfer was sometimes inadequate to sustain the 18 volt switching voltage. The booster would track the receiver voltage and enhance its current sourcing capability by 200 MA.

Skyvision's website says thay have GlassLinks in stock for $35, plus $7 shipping, but they don't say which model. If you can afford to risk eating a $42 loss, you might as well try it whether it is the right model for your thickenss of glass or not, since some of the newer LNB assemblies might actually sink a little less current than the older ones did, and it could be that a single pane model works OK through thicker glass if the cable lengths are short.

Hi!

There are "squishy" cables that are designed to allow passage through window and door openings, however, they do fail...With the normal wear and tear of opening and closing the door/window, the cable becomes crushed and will eventually fail. Whether it is a day/week/year from now???? I've forbidden my techs from using them, as they are not on an "approved equipment" list...Especially for the incoming satellite signal. For the antenna (tv2) signal, they do better.

You can get these cable splices from a bunch of sources, but I just searched ebay for "cable satellite flat" and came up with a lot of them...Look there and see what they are...

Only pieces of advice....If you are going for the slim cables, buy a bunch to have on hand when they fail...Less frustrating if you can just reach over and put on a new one. #2 - talk with the (manager??) and ask for technical details about how holes may be drilled into the property. Point out that this is a system installation that will remain behind (cable and satellite dish) for the next tenant to use. If this is a multiple unit dwelling, have the building owner or manager call dish network and see about arranging an installation of the system "professionally" to their specifications and requirements...Getting them involved in the process might ease the blow of seeing satellite dishes on the property!

Good Luck!
Jen

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts