Alvarion in talks with DirecTV on using WiMax-CEO

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lee78221

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 6, 2005
Alvarion CEO in talks with DirecTV on using WiMax

NEW YORK, Aug 9 (Reuters) - Network equipment maker Alvarion Ltd. (ALVR.O: Quote, Profile, Research) is in talks with DirecTV Group Inc. (DTV.N: Quote, Profile, Research) about supplying the satellite television service with wireless equipment that would boost its network, according to Alvarion's chief executive, Zvi Slonimsky.

DirecTV, the biggest U.S. satellite TV service, is exploring the use of the emerging high speed wireless service known as WiMax to provide fast upload speeds for consumers on its network, he said. This could allow for online video gaming or for consumers to transmit bulky files such as pictures

http://today.reuters.com/business/newsArticle.aspx?type=technology&storyID=nN09406543

This would be GREAT! I dont see why they dont offer a gaming service through their current satellites.

Gaming over satellites would be painful; if the netcode of most games could handle it. Speed of light (physics) is the problem. You just can't game (well, unless it's solitare) over that sort of delay (>500ms).

dagar said:
Speed of light (physics) is the problem.
Actually...that is partially correct. The problem is the distance the signal has to travel (physics). From Earth to sat and back to Earth. I think you knew what you meant...but when you typed the thought, it came out sounding like the speed of light was slow. ;)

I was meaning to download the games to the hard drive to play them later (kind of like renting the games/netflix). The DishPlayer 7100/7200 had games that you could play on it such as You Dont Know Jack and Doom.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)