Am I Getting Bad Sling Info from Solid Signal and Direct?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

907arcticcat

Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
North of Center
I have PM'd a couple folks on this board with my questions regarding the installation of a Sling Box for Direct and they have been very helpful...and I believe accurate in their information. I didn't want to continue taking their time, so I'm asking here!

I called Solid Signal about purchasing a second receiver (HR 24) to use exclusively for Sling (so I could watch live, record or play recorded content from a hotel and not affect someone at home)! The guy tells me Sling is exclusive to Dish and absolutely will not work on Direct! I asked for clarification and he made it clear, Sling is not compatible with Direct! He was not talking about Sling integrated Dish receivers either! So then I called up Direct and the lady puts me on hold and asks a supervisor...."Sling will work only to play back recorded content remotely" (place shifting)? Is this just bad info?

As for buying a new receiver from Solid or similar retailer! I understand it's really just a lease anyway as I will have to pay a monthly $7 charge for the extra receiver and return it upon termination! I thought the advances to buying were: You get new equipment and you get the receiver you want. I also thought by buying (a second receiver), I would not have to start a new 2 year contract? I am about 6 months into one now! I thought it would be like adding an addition line to a cell phone plan where you bring in a phone from Walmart....it can be canceled anytime without penalty as long as you keep your under contract phones! Is it true that by adding a "purchased" receiver I would have to start a new 2 year contract? What happens if this Sling idea doesn't work out? Could I remove that receiver off my account to save the $7 and not be breaking my Direct commitment?

Sorry for all the questions but I feel like I'm getting bad info from Direct.

A regular Slingbox (Slingbox Solo or Slingbox Pro HD) Works great on DIRECTV!

Look here is a screen capture showing me watching (and controlling) a HR34. :)

Attachments

• dtvsling.jpg
    dtvsling.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 179
I have a Slingbox Pro HD with DirecTV and it works great. Even have the app on my iPhone. I use the iPhone app on my iPad too. Seriously thinking about buying the dedicated iPad app but not sure it's worth another $30.

image-2362982021.png

I even have a slingbox classic, the very first model from several years ago before dish even bought sling (and destroyed the product). Works fine with Directv. Whoever told you that it only works with dish is talking out their a$$.

After reading numerous threads about less than accurate information from Direct CS reps, I wasn't putting much stock in their answers. The bad info from Solid Signal however did make me pause considering the additional $200 receiver and $300 Sliingbox Pro needed to make this idea fly! Guess I should come here more often when I want to know the real story. Thank you all for your help!

I've had Slingbox on a dedicated receiver for just about a year now. Last year I had no problems picking up the signal in Mexico. I have also purchased the app for my Ipad and it works like a charm. I think Slingbox is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

How to get directv to stop billing?

Bad LNB or DVR?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)