AM21N is messed up with Indy channel 8 (WISH)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JEFFinINDY

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
Regarding the HR34 and AM21N combo...

When I set up the AM21N, all the OTA channels show up in the setup and everything is correct except for channel 8 (WISH). There are always duplicate entries for this channel. The exact channel that is duplicated seems to vary from setup to setup. Usually, it will look something like this:

8-1 WISH-HD
8-1 WISHDT
8-2 LWS
8-2 WISHDT2
8-3 RADAR
8-3 WISHDT3

So, typically, I'd remove the 2nd occurrence of each channel, save changes, and things will be fine until the next time the HR34 is rebooted. After a reboot, sometimes the same channels will be there, but other times the duplicate channel will take the place of the actual channel, and it won't have any guide data, so recordings will be lost.

I can't even imagine trying to explain this to a CSR, so I'm not sure if it's even feasible to report this. If anyone has any connections, maybe mention that there's a problem with this channel in their master database. Otherwise, I'm open to suggestions!

Jeff

Bad news, at this point Directv has written off making any updates/changes to the OTA data. If it is not in the AM21 database by zip code in the HR software, it won't be. If it is messed up, it most likely will stay messed up.

My hope is that they make the receivers scan, like an OTA TV. The HR34 does it, so it is resonable to think they may port that software capability to the HR2x series.

The reason you are getting doubles, most likely, is that the Directv database isn't meshing with the PSIP data from the station, so it treats it as two stations on your receiver.

The issue is WISH is transmitting on 2 stations...their main station of 9 (maps to 8) and a fill-in in Indy of 17. Per wiki (and I've seen threads on avs about it)

On January 13, 2011, WISH-TV commenced operations on its fill-in translator on channel 17. As of February 2011, WISH-TV is operating both channels 9 and 17 from their transmitting facilities at in the Augusta section of Indianapolis. WISH-TV is operating channel 17 as a fill-in translator with a power of 15 kW at 190.5 meters & operating their full power operations on channel 9 with a power of 22.8 kW. Through PSIP technology, both operating frequencies are re-mapped and displayed as virtual channel 8, which would cause some digital tuners to have two versions of virtual channels 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3, while tuning sequentially.

The AM21 only shows one version (assuming the RF9 version) but since the HR34 can scan that might be why. If you are only picking it up via one channel that is why you are having issues

It is not the Am 21 that is causing this to happen. This also happens with the built in tuner on my LG TV. I live in Indianapolis.

IN the case of a HR34 yes it is. The AM21 cannot scan on any other DVR but the HR34. It loads a database list which only has the RF9 version. If you have a HR34 and "scan" it picks up both versions if you have access to both

No, not yet, if ever. In fact if you didn't use the database you would have no guide data for OTA channels.

Jeff:

Do you have programming data for both sets of the 8-1, 8-2 and 8-3 channels in your on-screen guide, or just for one set (with the other set saying something like "Regular Programming")?

people are going to start hacking these boxes if DirecTV doesn't get their heads out of their rear ends. It's not rocket science or a capacity issue. Stay sync'd with Tribune. Put in "Regular Programming" for channels that are not watched often.
I am starting to think the shAM-21 was a bad idea because it was very poorly designed and updated.

But wait, did I read that right Stone Cold???? You can scan with the HR34 and AM21???? What can I do to trade in my HR23 to get it? Can I get some sort of credit?

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts