Amateur Radio License plates anyone?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Corrado

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
Hudson Valley Region, NY
Here in New York there are dozens of specialty vehicle license plates to choose from. Starting in 2010 they added the gold plates as new issue but still allows the older white plates that began issue in 2003 for renewal. All the new vanity plates are still white as well. Until the day I took my test last month, I guess I never noticed the NY State Amateur Radio plates displaying the owner's callsign until I parked next to a couple of cars with them.

I was curious if any hams around this site use them on their personal vehicles. Any thoughts? I thought on the positive side it could be a cool way for someone to make a mobile contact if they saw the plate displayed.

I suppose on the negative side it might attract attention for theft of radio equipment in the vehicle as if exposed antennas aren't enough. Maybe privacy? Until a few weeks ago while waiting for my license and checking the ULS database daily, I wouldn't have known someone could easily find the vehicle owners info in that respect. Not that any vehicle plate number is really private.
plate.png

Reactions: spongella
Thanks for bringing this up! I had assumed that a call sign would be a vanity plate. To my surprise, an Amateur call sign plate in California is not a vanity, but considered a special interest. Instead of $98 original and $78 renewal, it's only $20 for the original plate and no extra fee for annual renewal. I will probably be getting a call sign plate. Thank you for motivating me to research this!

Reactions: KE4EST
Ours is $10 annual renewal, but cheaper than just a plain vanity plate. :)

IMHO, too easy for someone to track you down. Tick someone off while driving, they get your call sign, perform a call sign lookup and they know exactly where you live. I don't believe in making it any easier for the nut jobs than necessary. You're also advertising that you likely have receivers and transmitters worth stealing and now you're providing an easy way to find where you live. Just my $.02.