Amazing year in streaming video!!!

Paul420

Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
I did the who satellite scene for years,,,,switching back and forth between Dish Network and DirecTV...had a Dishplayer, had a DirecTivo...was all a BLAST! I enjoyed them a lot. Then came my divorce and my move into a condo, and hello cable TV again. But wait, this was't wasn't my old cable TV. It was a much more interesting and sleeker product thanks to years of competition by the satellite providers. It now had fancy programing guides, a slew of pay and free on-demand channels and the creme de la creme DVR SERVICE.

My cable TV provider was Optimum Online. I had their internet and Voip service too. I actually can't say enough good things about them. When I switched to them from satellite they were rapidly adding high-def channels very quickly. Everyday was like Christmas. They even offered the VOOM channels for a short time and continued to grow their HD selection. Eventually I switched out my cable boxes for a version without hard-drives, but cheaper DVR service. It was a cost cutter move that worked nice.

The nice thing about Optimum Online aha Cablevision was that I could annually bargain my bill down. The Viop must be a big money maker for them, because they'd give me a ton of premium services to keep it whenever I wanted to cancel it. Sometimes they'd give combo discounts of programming and free DVR service. I still have Optimum internet....it's beautiful.

Anyway, eventually I really wanted to drop my TV pocket money expense down and tried SlingTV. I always marveled at having Netflix, HULU, and Youtube via ROKU so SlingTV was a no brainer. SlingTV had my NYC local NBC, FOX, and ABC. I Bought CBS via the "CBS All Access" app. The only negative I had with SlingTV was seeing one of my local NBC football games blacked out. That was a no no.

I gotta say, I love SlingTV. I love their slick layout, "BUT" PSVue came to my attention and I gave it a try. PSVue has a fantastic DVR service for everything, and well as providing my CBS feed and no blackouts. I now have it with HBO and Showtime. mwah

The picture quality in PSVue is perfect. SlingTV has some weakness, but most probably wouldn't notice.

I still have 2 ROKU's but only use them occasionally to compare new apps on the market.

My primary viewing is via 2 Amazon Fire units and a new AppleTV unit. OMG the Fire and the AppleTV boxes are VERY cool. Sometimes I'll switch off TV programming and look at satellite views of the earth, or look at real estate of Zillow, or see what happening on the weird PLUTO TV.

I recently dumped Netflix for Amazon Prime...for a host on different programming. Also a one month Cinemax subscription trial just ended and I really enjoyed their programming. Right now I have PSVue, Amazon Prime and HULU. Thanks to HULU I get the Comedy Central programming that PSVue does not offer.

I may loose the ability to use my arms or my legs if I watch much more TV. :)

PS: I used to post on DBS Dish as Harry at a time when I put up a 40' tower to receive local channels from NY and Philadelphia, and occasionally Baltimore via troppo-ducting which still sounds like fun today.

The streaming services have really come a long way. I totally agree PS Vue is head and shoulders above SlingTV in virtually every way. I had both and while I have nothing against Sling, it is simply not at all on the same level as Vue.

The best part is no contracts, no equipment fees, no "junk" fees such as Regional Sports Fee or Broadcast TV fee, little or no taxes depending on your location. And you get free trials so you can see what works for you. We have been free of cable/satellite for about 8 months now and I have no intention of ever going back. Plus my wife, who is not exactly a techie by any means, has absolutely no issues with the change and even told me she cannot tell a difference from having cable, except we have more money. LOL :clapping

PS: I used to post on DBS Dish as Harry at a time when I put up a 40' tower to receive local channels from NY and Philadelphia, and occasionally Baltimore via troppo-ducting which still sounds like fun today.
Alas, DXing OTA kinda went the way of the goonie when DTV came on the scene. It is much, much more difficult now.

I did the who satellite scene for years,,,,switching back and forth between Dish Network and DirecTV...had a Dishplayer, had a DirecTivo...was all a BLAST! I enjoyed them a lot. Then came my divorce and my move into a condo, and hello cable TV again. But wait, this was't wasn't my old cable TV. It was a much more interesting and sleeker product thanks to years of competition by the satellite providers. It now had fancy programing guides, a slew of pay and free on-demand channels and the creme de la creme DVR SERVICE.

My cable TV provider was Optimum Online. I had their internet and Voip service too. I actually can't say enough good things about them. When I switched to them from satellite they were rapidly adding high-def channels very quickly. Everyday was like Christmas. They even offered the VOOM channels for a short time and continued to grow their HD selection. Eventually I switched out my cable boxes for a version without hard-drives, but cheaper DVR service. It was a cost cutter move that worked nice.

The nice thing about Optimum Online aha Cablevision was that I could annually bargain my bill down. The Viop must be a big money maker for them, because they'd give me a ton of premium services to keep it whenever I wanted to cancel it. Sometimes they'd give combo discounts of programming and free DVR service. I still have Optimum internet....it's beautiful.

Anyway, eventually I really wanted to drop my TV pocket money expense down and tried SlingTV. I always marveled at having Netflix, HULU, and Youtube via ROKU so SlingTV was a no brainer. SlingTV had my NYC local NBC, FOX, and ABC. I Bought CBS via the "CBS All Access" app. The only negative I had with SlingTV was seeing one of my local NBC football games blacked out. That was a no no.

I gotta say, I love SlingTV. I love their slick layout, "BUT" PSVue came to my attention and I gave it a try. PSVue has a fantastic DVR service for everything, and well as providing my CBS feed and no blackouts. I now have it with HBO and Showtime. mwah

The picture quality in PSVue is perfect. SlingTV has some weakness, but most probably wouldn't notice.

I still have 2 ROKU's but only use them occasionally to compare new apps on the market.

My primary viewing is via 2 Amazon Fire units and a new AppleTV unit. OMG the Fire and the AppleTV boxes are VERY cool. Sometimes I'll switch off TV programming and look at satellite views of the earth, or look at real estate of Zillow, or see what happening on the weird PLUTO TV.

I recently dumped Netflix for Amazon Prime...for a host on different programming. Also a one month Cinemax subscription trial just ended and I really enjoyed their programming. Right now I have PSVue, Amazon Prime and HULU. Thanks to HULU I get the Comedy Central programming that PSVue does not offer.

I may loose the ability to use my arms or my legs if I watch much more TV. :)

You've been a member here for nearly 10 years and this is your first post??? ;)
Well then, :welcome to Satelliteguys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)