Amazon announces Amazon FireTV set-top box

Nothing new about DD5.1 - it's the same system Dish uses for surround sound for programming that has it, generally comprising movie channels, major sporting events, certain news feeds, etc. (I expect some "network" programming is also in DD5.1 but I rarely watch any of it so I don't know.) DD+ accommodates 15 channels. Is it "backwards compatible" so that any content I D/L from Amazon that has DD5.1 audio will pass through to my receiver?

Last edited:
I get Dolby Digital Plus on all my Rokus using Vudu and Netflix, also no Vudu no sale.

I have never checked it on my Rokus, but its odd if it does as the amazon page has the comparison chart and where it says "certified dolby plus surround sound" it has a check for the fire, and the slots for Roku 3, apple tv, and chromecast are not checked.
Mistake?
Or is there a difference between "certified" and non certified?

I have never checked it on my Rokus, but its odd if it does as the amazon page has the comparison chart and where it says "certified dolby plus surround sound" it has a check for the fire, and the slots for Roku 3, apple tv, and chromecast are not checked. Mistake? Or is there a difference between "certified" and non certified?
Since it is both Netflix and Vudu using it, my guess is that it is certified since they would have to pay the rights to Dolby, I also read that the Chrome Cast also is DD + for Netflix but Apple TV is not, going to buy a Chrome Cast this week for HBO Go since Comcast allows it on that unit but not on the Roku, so I will check the sound format.

Watched a live blog

I was monitoring the Amazon site and ordered just as it became available. I gave my ATV to a relative, Roku will be next, it is hard to compare this to current stuff because of the better processor and voice search. It also has ethernet which is always best if it can be used. Since I am an Apple user I will also get their new one when it comes out. I did not order the game controller(I don't play games much) but a couple of hours later decided to see what it could do. I should get both Friday afternoon, I am a prime member. ron

I have never checked it on my Rokus, but its odd if it does as the amazon page has the comparison chart and where it says "certified dolby plus surround sound" it has a check for the fire, and the slots for Roku 3, apple tv, and chromecast are not checked.
Mistake?
Or is there a difference between "certified" and non certified?

Here is the difference. The Roku can't decode DD+. I hooked up a Roku to an older AVR that doesn't support DD+ at my parents house. Netflix streams in DD+ and the Roku can't convert this to standard DD5.1 or 5.1PCM. That means my parents have to keep their Roku set to 2.0 even though they have a 5.1 setup or they won't get any sound from Netflix.

Other devices like the PS3 can take the DD+ audio from Netflix and output regular DD 5.1. My guess is that they are saying the new Fire TV can handle this conversion where as the Roku can only pass through what it receives.

Edit: for people with newer HDMI AVRs like the one I have at my house this distinction doesn't matter. My AVR is able to handle the direct DD+ 5.1 Netflix stream from my Roku.

Edit 2: The Apple TV 3rd Gen is my main streaming device. This device does not support DD+ output. I don't know if Netflix has a separate set of streams for Apple TV users or if the Apple TV is automatically converting DD+ to standard Dolby Digital 5.1 before it outputs. I do know that hooked to the same AVR Netflix lights up as Dolby Digital when using the Apple TV and Dolby Digital Plus when using a Roku. I will say that the DD5.1 still sounds very good from my Apple TV. The difference between Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus isn't drastic like the difference between Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby TrueHD lossless audio.

Last edited:
Content and openness is king imho.Does it offer WWE,VUDU,weather4us?I don't think so.How about plex?So for me the roku and wdtv are still king.

Content and openness is king imho.Does it offer WWE,VUDU,weather4us?I don't think so.How about plex?So for me the roku and wdtv are still king.
Plex? Yes.

The others? Not yet, but id imagine at least WWE and Vudu will be added "soon".

I use either VUDU or Amazon for most of our PPV movies. I can do with one or the other but prefer to have both on one device.

Can't use Amazon on Android, and can't use all my Ultraviolet movies without Vudu. (Unrooted devices could use popcorn, but not rooted devices) Vudu is by far the leader for people that have different devices.

Can't use Amazon on Android, and can't use all my Ultraviolet movies without Vudu. (Unrooted devices could use popcorn, but not rooted devices) Vudu is by far the leader for people that have different devices.

To each their own. I prefer iTunes for my PPV movie rentals and TV season passes. I have used Amazon for TV season passes on the rare occasion that they are cheaper but they are usually the exact same price. I have never paid for anything from Vudu but I have used a few free movie rental coupons I have received from them. I have no complaints from what I have experienced with Vudu but they have always been third on my pecking order when checking prices and I never seem to make it down that far.

Roku retired

I just retired the roku 2, it has always peed me off that you had to give them a CC# for their free service, the reason they have so many free channels is that no one would ever pay for any of them. The Fire has Plex integrated, I am waiting to see proffessional (Anand Tech) reviews and to learn the capabilities for the USB. ron

Last edited:
Email

I just received this. My interest level in games is very low, but my Granddaughter will be thrilled.

Thank you for purchasing an Amazon Fire Game Controller. You will receive one copy of Sev Zero, a new game from Amazon Game Studios, that combines fast-action shooter mayhem with tower defense-style strategic base building. Your copy of Sev Zero, which requires an Amazon Fire TV to play, will be ready to download in your games library when you next log onto your Amazon Fire TV.

You will also receive 1,000 Amazon Coins (a $10 value) for each controller you purchased. Your Amazon Coins will be added to your account within 48 hours and can be used to buy eligible apps, games and in-app items from the Amazon Appstore on your Amazon Fire TV, Kindle Fire, Android devices or Amazon.com. Use your newly minted Amazon Coins to build out your gaming library.

Also I just received an email introducing the Fire, looks like that should have been about 6 hours ago. ron

To each their own. I prefer iTunes for my PPV movie rentals and TV season passes. I have used Amazon for TV season passes on the rare occasion that they are cheaper but they are usually the exact same price. I have never paid for anything from Vudu but I have used a few free movie rental coupons I have received from them. I have no complaints from what I have experienced with Vudu but they have always been third on my pecking order when checking prices and I never seem to make it down that far.

No question everyone has their favorites. But from an Android viewpoint, using Vudu for all my Ultaviolet movies on my mobile devices and streaming boxes is very convenient. Using itunes can't compare for me on an Android for getting movies from Vudu, and Vudu seems to have nice interface on the streaming boxes, it also is on my LG smart TV. Keep in mind you can not use Amazon for movies on Android, and the only way to watch Ultraviolet is with Vudu. (For some Popcorn can be used) Because Vudu allows for keeping movies on the device SD card, it is perfect for traveling.
Because I am prime member, I do use Amazon for movies also at home.

No question everyone has their favorites. But from an Android viewpoint, using Vudu for all my Ultaviolet movies on my mobile devices and streaming boxes is very convenient. Using itunes can't compare for me on an Android for getting movies from Vudu, and Vudu seems to have nice interface on the streaming boxes, it also is on my LG smart TV. Keep in mind you can not use Amazon for movies on Android, and the only way to watch Ultraviolet is with Vudu. (For some Popcorn can be used) Because Vudu allows for keeping movies on the device SD card, it is perfect for traveling.
Because I am prime member, I do use Amazon for movies also at home.

It definitely depends on which devices you own. As you said, iTunes makes no sense for android users. I have an Apple TV, iPad, and iPhone so it makes a lot of sense for me.

I generally don't watch on my phone except for maybe a few minutes waiting in car bell line to pick up my kid( for that its usually Netflix or ESPN) so as long as I have access at home, with my devices, they are pretty much equal and I go with the best price.

Price being the same I go with the last one I was in.

Vudu not being included at launch is an inconvenience, but I do have other alternatives in the very unlikely event that they don't add it. For the most part, amazon is my go to. Vudu was until I got more devices with amazon access and its gotten a little more attention now that I've actually used ultraviolet.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

I bet Apple will respond with a much improved AppleTV... There had been rumors of a whole new one this year, now the pressure will be on.

I just retired the roku 2, it has always peed me off that you had to give them a CC# for their free service, the reason they have so many free channels is that no one would ever pay for any of them. The Fire has Plex integrated, I am waiting to see proffessional (Anand Tech) reviews and to learn the capabilities for the USB. ron

Ron, when you created your roku account, there is a skip button on the web page that allows you to skip entering your CC#, you just need to look for it...kind of like reading the fine print! With the kindle, and obviously the Fire, you will need a CC# for it too.\

In any case, looking forward for the FireTv reviews from people with other boxes (roku, apple, chrome, wd).

Shipped

Tomorrow before 8pm it is coming UPS, they say when it arrives it will be linked to my Amazon Prime acct. Happy about UPS, the guy can pickup the old 722k, Dish just replaced(good job). The Contoller will not arrive till the 10th of April. My under standing is that IOS, Android and many other apps are coming, we will see just what Amazon means by open platform(or whatever they called it),developers should be very interested. ron

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)