Amazon announces Amazon FireTV set-top box

Ill have mine this evening, and should have a feel for it by the weekend.

Tomorrow before 8pm it is coming UPS, they say when it arrives it will be linked to my Amazon Prime acct. Happy about UPS, the guy can pickup the old 722k, Dish just replaced(good job). The Contoller will not arrive till the 10th of April. My under standing is that IOS, Android and many other apps are coming, we will see just what Amazon means by open platform(or whatever they called it),developers should be very interested. ron

If one of you could install the MLB.tv app and let us know what the picture quality is like I would really appreciate it. Each day they pick a feed and allow non-subscribers to watch for free. You can watch the free game of the day sometime and give us your opinion on picture quality and UI without having to actually subscribe if baseball isn't your thing.

If one of you could install the MLB.tv app and let us know what the picture quality is like I would really appreciate it. Each day they pick a feed and allow non-subscribers to watch for free. You can watch the free game of the day sometime and give us your opinion on picture quality and UI without having to actually subscribe if baseball isn't your thing.
Will do.

Thanks. The Roku 2XD is starting to give me some issues so I'm trying to decide if I should pick up a FireTV or a second Apple TV to replace it. I don't watch much outside of news and baseball in the room it would go in so MLB.tv support is the main deciding factor for me.

I just noticed that the FireTV ships with Plex Media Center!! And it looks just like the Windows client. Looks like my Roku's might get replaced.

UI sucking I thought was a prerequisite for a Roku app. Most are like an awful version of the already poor PS3 XMB UI a handful of exceptions aside.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

ATV/FIRE

Thanks. The Roku 2XD is starting to give me some issues so I'm trying to decide if I should pick up a FireTV or a second Apple TV to replace it. I don't watch much outside of news and baseball in the room it would go in so MLB.tv support is the main deciding factor for me.

Yesterday Apple announced the WWDC for 6/2, it is widely expected to announce the next ATV then and probably immediate availability. I will get one just because I like messing with gadgets, and am an Apple fan, but also they will not have Amazon Prime, the main reason I had a Roku 2xd which did serve well, but is now retired. Its place reserved for the Fire I get tomorrow. I am guessing that the new ATV will excede the capabilities of the Fire but may not be as open. Of course we don't really know how open the Fire will be yet. ron

Fast setup and easy. Got youtube, Netflix, WatchESPN and Amazon up and running. Netflix PQ i very very good, DD+ works too. Have it set to 1080p/60 and no scale. Still only offers RGB colorspace like the Roku though...
I'll be watching the next ATV as well, but since Amazon has ordered their pilots to series that I like, I'm hooked there. Between Netflix and Amazon Ill be watching a lot of originals.

Can you do anything with the usb port. I to am wondering about Nflix quality, Centurylink down grades during prime time, I am wondering if the Fire will be immune. Thanks for sharing ron

Quick setup on mine as well. Comes logged into your amazon account which is nice, next is setting up your other stuff, which is a pain on any device.

Voice search works well, just wish it covered more apps. Pq seems good so far. Snappy navigation.

Im into Episode 2 of Season 3 for Sherlock and the pq has been great. Audio seems a little low because I have to crank the volume pretty high, but it sounds good and the PQ is better than Directv HD IMO. First episode, which was 1hr 36mins, went off without a hitch.

WP_20140403_19_25_00_Pro.jpg

Better pic. Like I said the footprint is much larger, although the fire is much thinner (and heavier).

It's a little bigger than I would have expected seeing as the Roku and Apple TV are so close in size.

Edit: Not a complaint, just an observation. All of these boxes are amazingly small for what they do.

I was a little surprised as well, although for me its not in anyway a negative. Its still small, just not as small

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts