Amazon announces Amazon FireTV set-top box

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I just got mine up and running and am impressed, I like the Imore comparison, but they leave out that the Kindle Fire can be used to do much the same as Airplay on the ATV(at least I believe this is so). This is much better than the current ATV right now, but the next ATV will probably best it. Since I have Prime, and I tunes match, I will have both. I like the form factor it is small enough to fit about anywhere and the extra weight is a plus in my book(cables don't jerk it around as much). I like the boxing, but when I started to open the box I pushed instead of noticing the tab at the top and tore the AMAZON on the top, it did not really hurt anything, but that little detail would have drove Job's up a tree. The remote is bluetooth not wifi. ron

Last edited:
I have 10 mbp dsl from Centurylink. I tried netflix, an app on the remote, of my OPPO 103, watching Firefly around 7 PM and it fluctuated between 384 and 480 sd, the OPPO can read the signal on its apps. I switched to the Fire and can not read the realtime signal, but the picture on the same episode(it is on both Netflix and Amazon is much higher quality. If it was 9 in the morning I believe they would be about the same, but Centurylink throtles netflix during prime time. I don't know why Fire is not throttled but apparently it is not. ron

I just activated watchespn, it was simple the Fire said to go to http://es.pn/firetv and then enter a 7 letter digit code, I did and it immediately was activated. I did have to choose Dish as a provider first. It was simple.

Last edited:
I watched college baseball on ESPN3 last night and the when it hit the top tier streaming PQ it looked pretty darn good. Did have some drop downs though, not sure if that is the Fire or ESPN3 last night. Did not have that issue on the Roku 3 in the past and my internet speed was fine.

Watch ESPN

My 722k went out the same day the UCONN girls played their last home game, Dish quickly replaced it, and I watched the game last night through the Fire, KLM triple double, I then watched another episode of FireFly, very good resolution, and no hitches in either. I almost downloaded the Netflix app, but decided not to because I know Centurylink throttles it during prime time, I was afraid it would lead to throttling Amazon on the fire also, not sure this make sense. I do have Netflix right on the remote of the OPPO 103. So far I am very pleased there is now a setup video on the Fire UI that is simple and helpful, something Apple and Roku did not do to my knowledge. If your Grandma wants something get her this. ron

Since I was away on the ship last week I have been unable to play with my FireTV until today. I am still going through the box.. its a little buggy but nice.

One bug I have run into is listening to music with the IHeartMusic app, then going into another app such as Netflix and starting a show. Instead of the music stopping it just plays over the audio from Netflix.

What I find amazing is this box has only been out a few days and already they ported XBMC to it!

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Amazon_Fire_TV

Since I was away on the ship last week I have been unable to play with my FireTV until today. I am still going through the box.. its a little buggy but nice.

One bug I have run into is listening to music with the IHeartMusic app, then going into another app such as Netflix and starting a show. Instead of the music stopping it just plays over the audio from Netflix.

What I find amazing is this box has only been out a few days and already they ported XBMC to it!

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Amazon_Fire_TV

I may have to get one if XBMC is fully working on it.

Contoller

That was quick for XBMC, I am waiting to see the capabilities of the IOS app. Yesterday I received the controller, it to was nicely boxed and seems well done to me, it is the first one I have owned so my experience is very limited. This morning I messed around with Badlands(it is also on my Ipad Air, though I have never played it). Pairing was simple, and I am learning. I like the Fire. ron

yes

It sleeps after 30 minutes. Seems most of them are this way now, I also see no way to manually update software instead of automatic, this is not a surprise either. ron

I also see no way to manually update software instead of automatic, this is not a surprise either. ron
You can check for software updates by hitting the Home Button. Going to Settings, Select System, Select About, Select Check for System Update.

So far I have mixed feelings on it. Nice hardware but not enough software. Since its just an Android box it should be able to download any Android app, however the only apps it will run are FireTV approved apps from the Amazon App store.

The Roku 3 is still a much better box at this time. But the Amazon box will improve as more apps are released.

I agree Scott. The potential is there if they really open it up (ive said this before about another android streaming device....), but right now, my Roku is still plugged in and being used.

Remember this is an Amazon box. They put it out there to make money off their content not to allow their competitors apps to have a better experience. The way I see it, apps tied to their ecosystem will always be better and the target for this device.

Then at least one of their stated three areas that needed improving on rivals set too boxes would be a lie.

Yeah they are, and should push their own content but when I can get that on competing devices and get more, it makes this one hard to justify down the road.

That said I fully expect them to add the couple of apps that I am missing soon enough. Like I said, tons of potential there.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

It is now sold out

More in about a week. I am thinking we may see a good deal of activity surrounding apps and updates in the days just before 6/2 when the new ATV will be announced.

Well, sending mine back. Nice enough device, but I just found myself not using it.

There is potential there for sure, but I had to keep my roku connected for hbo, and I found myself using the Xbox one for most everything else. Plus the Xbox had better cross app search features, as does the roku.

So boxed up. Maybe I'll try it later on.

I still think it's better than chromecast , which is in my closet. For $35 I can easily hang on to it for no reason.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)