Amazon Echo/Dot Commands

HobbyTalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
SW Florida
Maybe we can compile a list of commands that can be used with the Amazon Echo/Dot to control the Hopper. I can start a list on this first post and add on to it to help others using this feature. If you have any that aren't listed just post a reply and I'll edit this post.

Known Commands
  • Alexa, tune to (or go to) *channel* (NBC, Fox, Discovery, History, HBO, etc) = Tunes to desired channel
  • Alexa, tune to (or go to) channel *number* (9, 20 16, etc) = Tunes to desired channel
  • Alexa, pause = pause current channel
  • Alexa, resume = resume paused channel
  • Alexa, fast forward = jump recording 30 seconds
  • Alexa, skip forward *number* (one, two, etc.) minutes = skip ahead that number of minutes
  • Alexa, skip back *number* (one, two, etc.) minutes = skip back that number of minutes
  • Alexa, watch *title of recording on DVR* = Will usually start the correct recording (can be erratic)

You can also say "Alexa, Go to HBO" (or whatever channel) to change channels.

For Trick Play, you can also say "Alexa, skip forward two minutes" (or whatever time frame you want) and it will skip forward (or skip back) that length of time. That's been one of my favorites so far.

Alexa, watch *title of recording on DVR* will usually start the correct recording. Results can be erratic, however.

Last edited:
Reactions: DWS44
Yep.

Contact Scott or a mod and they might make additions to post #1 for you.

It did work for me on the 18th for one of my 2 Joeys 4K. But the second one did not even appear when the amazon app scanned for devices. Then Yesterday the 19th the one Joey 4k that worked stop responding to Alexa. When you try to change channel or any command Alexa answers back that it has problems connecting to the Dish equipment. But that Joey 4k still appears on the scanned device list the other one still does not. Now the other 2 Hoppers with Sling that I have work flawlessly. Can any one relate their experience with the Joey 4K and their Alexa integration?

Has anyone gotten Alexa to work on any Joey other than the 4K? I have the Joey 2 and it doesn't show up on my scans. H3 was no problem though.
Also the fast forward option seems to be limited to jumping forward 3 minutes max each time.

That explains my problem.

So....will a 4K Joey also get Alexa integration?
The original announcement says:

ELIGIBLE EQUIPMENT
Hopper 3™ Hopper 2® Hopper® Wally™
? Please note: Integration of Amazon Alexa with the Wally and Hopper requires the new user interface.
By integrating Alexa with Hopper receivers, DISH is taking steps to provide our customers with what they
asked for.

Will this work with the 1st generation Fire stick? I have the H3 and software U349 and when I scan it finds nothing!

I have a H3, Joey 4K and Joey...scannned twice and it only discovered the H3.

Same here. I have a Hopper 3 , couple of 4K Joeys and a Joey 2. Only found the Hopper. I was hopeful that it'll find more due to others experience. I hope they expand on that in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts