Amazon launches new movie and TV streaming service

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
http://www.neowin.net/news/amazon-launches-new-movie-and-tv-streaming-service

A place to watch new movies and TV has popped up, with Internet-based media store Amazonlaunching a subscription service called Prime Video on Sunday. The service will be available at a flat rate of $8.99 a month.

The service was previously available to customers of the company's Prime annual subscription for $99. As host to exclusive original TV shows such as Transparent and Mozart in the Jungle, the offering will provide more competition for similar services Netflix and Hulu.

The subscription cost for Prime Video is a dollar more than the most basic package offered by popular streaming service, Netflix (without HD), but a dollar less than its most popular deal (including HD). In addition, Prime Video allows for users to download content for later viewing.

A spokeswoman for Amazon said that the service could be switched on or off, which would be attractive to those who only have time to watch content during the holidays.

A financial analyst from the investment firm Wedbush Securities, Michael Pachter said the CEO ofAmazon, Jeff Bezos is accelerating the competition with Netflix. "“The two services will compete more closely for customers, and Amazon has the marketing advantage by offering the full Prime service for just a little bit more each month.”

Pachter said Amazon currently spends $3 billion on streaming video, with Netflix forking out $4 billion. These figures do not take the securing of international rights or DVD sales into account. At the end of 2015, Netflix disclosed that 43.4 million American customers paid for its services, with expectations for that number to rise by 2 million. On the other hand, while Amazon does not publicly release its subscription numbers, experts estimate that they are between 40 and 60 million globally.

At the same time as making Prime Video available on a monthly basis, Amazon has made its premium service, Prime available via a monthly subscription. Prime allows its users to receive products via a 2-day shipping service, unlimited music streaming, access to over 800,000 e-books, and much more.

Netflix and Hulu have refused to comment on the launch.

Source: Mashable via The Wall Street Journal

I wonder how much it will cost to sign up for Prime for a month vs. Prime Video. This might be a good thing for me to catch up on the few shows I don't have access to via cable or NF for just a few months out of the year. I don't buy enough from Amazon to make it worth doing an entire year of Prime.

I wonder how much it will cost to sign up for Prime for a month vs. Prime Video. This might be a good thing for me to catch up on the few shows I don't have access to via cable or NF for just a few months out of the year. I don't buy enough from Amazon to make it worth doing an entire year of Prime.
its just prime video split from prime..prime members gain nothing by subscribing

its just prime video split from prime..prime members gain nothing by subscribing
Speaking as a non-Prime member, I was just wondering how much more it would cost me to sign up for the full Prime monthly service as opposed to just Prime Video monthly service, which this article says will be $8.99.

EDIT: Actually, I've just found another article that says full monthly Prime will be $10.99. (http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/amazon-takes-aim-netflix-monthly-prime-membership-n557676)

Speaking as a non-Prime member, I was just wondering how much more it would cost me to sign up for the full Prime monthly service as opposed to just Prime Video monthly service, which this article says will be $8.99.

EDIT: Actually, I've just found another article that says full monthly Prime will be $10.99. (http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/amazon-takes-aim-netflix-monthly-prime-membership-n557676)
might as well take prime..the video service is iffy at best..they also include free kindle library books

Why do you say the video service is "iffy at best"? I've viewed plenty of video via prime with a fire stick and roku and they were pretty good.
Not that..just not any different than the competition
.I am waiting for a 8.99 hbo type service

It is cheaper to just get Prime as a yearly option. Assuming one were to keep the video service year round that is.

Plus there are other added benefits, some of which hold more value to me than the streaming service alone.

Edit: saw your post above about not being worth it for you for the year.

It is cheaper to just get Prime as a yearly option. Assuming one were to keep the video service year round that is.

Plus there are other added benefits, some of which hold more value to me than the streaming service alone.

Edit: saw your post above about not being worth it for you for the year.

If I end up dropping cable in favor of PS Vue when my cable contract is up in a couple of weeks, I'll probably add a full year of Prime and Hulu Plus to my web-streaming pile. For now, it's hard to justify paying any more for video services beyond $100+/mo. for cable TV service and $10/mo for Netflix.

Amazon Prime is only $99 / year and includes video, music, free two day shipping, picture storage and several other benefits. If you paid monthly for a couple months and paid to ship a couple Items out of your pocket, you would have paid for the whole years service.

Reactions: nelson61

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts