Amazon looking to add Live TV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Given the number of Prime members and the strength of their existing video ecosystem, adding a vMVPD channel package as an add-on option to Prime Video seems like a no-brainer. Not that there's much profit in reselling a package of other companies' cable channels but it would further enmesh customers in Amazon's system and increase the amount of time spent in the Prime Video app. And there would be interesting advertising possibilities for Amazon on those ad-supported cable channels too.

Lots of folks, myself included, thought Amazon might take a shortcut to doing this months ago by snatching up the faltering (but well-reviewed) PS Vue service from Sony, and then rebrand it to Prime Video Live Channels and integrate it into their app.

Not sure I buy Amazon's "nothing to see here" denial today, as it doesn't at all jibe with the wording used in those job ads for video engineers. As the Multichannel News story at your second link reported:

“We are expanding not just the breadth of live content we offer, but the depth of the experience," one Amazon want ad said. "This is a transformative opportunity, the chance to be at the vanguard of a program that will revolutionize Prime Video, and the live streaming experience of customers everywhere.”

Given the number of Prime members and the strength of their existing video ecosystem, adding a vMVPD channel package as an add-on option to Prime Video seems like a no-brainer. Not that there's much profit in reselling a package of other companies' cable channels but it would further enmesh customers in Amazon's system and increase the amount of time spent in the Prime Video app. And there would be interesting advertising possibilities for Amazon on those ad-supported cable channels too.

Lots of folks, myself included, thought Amazon might take a shortcut to doing this months ago by snatching up the faltering (but well-reviewed) PS Vue service from Sony, and then rebrand it to Prime Video Live Channels and integrate it into their app.

Not sure I buy Amazon's "nothing to see here" denial today, as it doesn't at all jibe with the wording used in those job ads for video engineers. As the Multichannel News story at your second link reported:

“We are expanding not just the breadth of live content we offer, but the depth of the experience," one Amazon want ad said. "This is a transformative opportunity, the chance to be at the vanguard of a program that will revolutionize Prime Video, and the live streaming experience of customers everywhere.”

I have had Prime for several years, even before I had the streaming. That was a great deal. Besides getting the deal on shipping, add in tons of movies & TV shows included (Many not available elsewhere), a few months ago I bought the Recast giving me 2 OTA tuners and a free 2 week guide, and the free 500GB DVR feature.

There's no deal on shipping anymore at least not where I live. Everything is now 7-10 days unless it's an expensive jacked up price item usually above retail you may still get lucky in 4-5 days.
Apparently it's not like this everywhere or you would have a long ongoing thread about it. Rural midwest that's the way it is now, Amazon even with Prime membership have become the slowest shippers in the USA.

I dropped Prime for that very reason I get Walmart stuff with free shipping much faster 2-3 days still and started using Home depot and lowes with usually 3-5 days shipping. I only use Amazon to search and find what I need then order through others. I also learned after dropping Prime it wasn't actually needed anyway, everything still has free shipping options just not fast but since Amazon Prime slowed even below snail-mail delivery speed I'm done with Amazon.

Reactions: Tvland1
No problems with Prime here. I still get most things next day or in 2 days
It makes me wonder if for whatever reason I was singled out. I always paid by the year not monthly. Can't imagine why? Usually 3-5k a year I spent with them and was a member from the beginning until now.

I just looked at my last month of orders and the fastest item delivered was 5 days but most everything else was 9 days.

I just looked at my last month of orders and the fastest item delivered was 5 days but most everything else was 9 days.

Wow. Even when I choose the Prime Day delivery option or a slower option to get a digital credit, things usually show up sooner than expected. Are you pretty far from a fulfillment center/population center?

Prime shipping has been slower here, but it varies with the item ordered. Some things I can get 2 days, some things take five. It also varies to where I get it sent. To my home is quicker than my office, and they are only ten minutes apart. To home for instance would be two days. Ship to the office may take 5. Makes no sense.

Previously I have ordered at 4:30 on a friday evening and gotten it by 11:30 on saturday. One day was very common. Havent even seen that as a paid option in several months.

Some items were taking longer to be delivered when the pandemic shutdowns started and people were hoarding, even in areas accustomed to 1-2 day Prime shipping times. It should mostly be back to normal, but maybe not in all areas yet?

My last 10 orders, oldest first:

Placed March 25, Delivered March 30* - 5 days
Placed March 25, Delivered March 27 - 2 days
Placed April 2, Delivered April 7* - 5 days
Placed April 4, Delivered April 7 - 3 days
Placed April 23, Delivered April 29* - 6 days
Placed May 8, Delivered May 9 - 1 day
Placed May 20, Delivered May 21 - 1 day
Placed May 27, Delivered May 29 - 1 day
Placed May 31, Delivered June 2 - 2 days
Placed June 17, Delivered June 18 - 1 day

* = 3rd party sale

So with the exception of 3rd party sales my delivery time is very fast. And to give credit where credit is due, the Amazon delivery estimate was listed on those 3rd party sales and were met or it came quicker than estimated.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
I dropped Prime when I went into furlough a few months ago as a way of reducing monthly expenses. The furlough didn't last long, but I haven't picked the service back up. I thought about maybe buying it on a monthly basis because I seldom used the free services, and there have been some months in the past in which I'd hardly order anything.

On a side note, and back to the main topic at hand, it's probably best not to invest in live TV platforms at this time. I think Netflix, Hulu, and similar online on-demand platforms have sort of spoiled most people to the point that they don't want to sit through a scheduled TV show/movie or deal with DVRing a show like traditional TV viewing. Now, it's more like get what you want when you want it. MVPDs will probably stay around for the time being with most people from 30's and up being accustomed to that; however, it's going to become less popular as more people come of age in a day and time where clicking on a movie or show gives you instant access. As programming and channels become more expensive, more people will drop MVPD style viewing, even online ones, in favor of cheaper alternatives.

It makes me wonder if for whatever reason I was singled out. I always paid by the year not monthly. Can't imagine why? Usually 3-5k a year I spent with them and was a member from the beginning until now.
I dropped Prime around the first of April.. everything I ordered was also taking 7-10 days delivery.. It's not that I need anything that quick anyhow and every order is above $25 so it's free shipping.. Have no use for Prime video..

Reactions: camo
I have an Amazon Firetv Recast DVR, and have added Philo. While there is some integration with the EPG with both local channels and Philo combined in one lineup, it's a bit slow opening up the Philo app that way. In the end, it's better to just use the Philo app. I also think Amazon should group CBS NBC Fox and ABC affiliates together. NBC, alphabetically, ends up far down the list after a number of cable networks, but that's just me nitpicking...

I was thinking it'd in some ways be great if Amazon had it's own streaming, or maybe bought Philo so that better integration can happen.

On the other hand, I dislike that its Recast DVR and live over the air viewing is only permitted through Firesticks. I like my Roku(s) too and wish there was an Amazon app for it on Roku. And then with the HBO Max issue, one needs another streaming device as well, as neither of those two support it.

Anyways, I'm sure Amazon would prefer going the full service route like YouTube TV, over a low priced cost-cutter approach, like that of Philo.

There's no deal on shipping anymore at least not where I live. Everything is now 7-10 days unless it's an expensive jacked up price item usually above retail you may still get lucky in 4-5 days.
Apparently it's not like this everywhere or you would have a long ongoing thread about it. Rural midwest that's the way it is now, Amazon even with Prime membership have become the slowest shippers in the USA.

I dropped Prime for that very reason I get Walmart stuff with free shipping much faster 2-3 days still and started using Home depot and lowes with usually 3-5 days shipping. I only use Amazon to search and find what I need then order through others. I also learned after dropping Prime it wasn't actually needed anyway, everything still has free shipping options just not fast but since Amazon Prime slowed even below snail-mail delivery speed I'm done with Amazon.

I've noticed that shipping isn't what it use to be even for prime items. I think most of the shipping delays may be due to CV-19. But prime video isn't all that great anymore either. I'm considering dropping my prime membership since it's not worth the annual fee anymore.

I've noticed that shipping isn't what it use to be even for prime items. I think most of the shipping delays may be due to CV-19. But prime video isn't all that great anymore either. I'm considering dropping my prime membership since it's not worth the annual fee anymore.
It's because all the movie and TV shows have shut down because of the virus. Some have started up again but the majority have shut down. I've been waiting for Jack Ryan and Bosch to come out and they've been shut down.

I honestly get most Amazon deliveries faster than predicted these days, unless it is delivered end-to-end by USPS. We are enjoying The Boys season 2 right now and we liked The World's Toughest Race. Seems like they have as much new as any of the other platforms.

Reactions: Zookster

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)