"Amazon may enter tablet fray in second half of 2011"

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
It looks less and less of just a crazy rumor
Amazon tablets ‘Hollywood’ and ‘Coyote’ to launch this year

It could be the first Tegra 3 (KAL-EL, 5xTegra2) tablet.
It also could be the first Ice Cream tablet (Google chose a new manufacturer with each new Android version: Froyo, Gingerbread and Honeycomb).
Why not pick Amazon to show the world what Ice Cream is about?

If this turns out to be more than just a rumor, Android will catch up with iOS earlier than I predicted...

Diogen.

Somebody better let Amazon know- There is no tablet market. There is only an ipad market! If Amazon got really smart, they would open an Apple Store like many of there other stores and work it just like Best Buy does, sell the little guys too but an Amazon Apple Store would do far more profits than a Amazon tablet.

Somebody better let Amazon know- There is no tablet market. There is only an ipad market! If Amazon got really smart, they would open an Apple Store like many of there other stores and work it just like Best Buy does, sell the little guys too but an Amazon Apple Store would do far more profits than a Amazon tablet.

The android tablet market is just getting started. Not unlike the phone market it started slow and picked up steam quickly.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I see things dramatically different. Apples advantage is also their disadvantage... The monolithic approach means they don't have the ability to saturate the market.

Android took market share lead because of their broad manufacturer and carrier support.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

The one thing that always bothered me about the "Free" OS Android is the hidden agenda behind the incentive to keep the Android OS alive and kicking. The economic formula behind it escapes most of the proponents of Android. If that formula ever suffers a glitch or the bean counters decide that the business model of free is no longer working it will be a quick and brutal death. iOS is built on product quality and brand name- Android is built on FREE. Free, like you said has a rapid "pick up steam quickly" But when those who make the free stuff either change the business model to selling for a fair price or if they just get tired and decide to focus on traditional marketing, we'll see if the system can continue. Let me say I am a large investor in Google for a person of my means and I look at their business activities on a daily basis as an investor, not a tech or even a trader. Their stock is down and I just bought more as I believe in the strength of their plan for now, HOWEVER, I also recognize where the weaknesses are and it is my biggest concern for the long term. What Google does is an activity that can quickly be squashed by regulation and the whole model will collapse. Maybe you disagree but I see things today get regulated like the new banking industry on Credit as a Knee Jerk reaction to a crises. The same will happen one day, in a crises, to the selling of personal data collected in a secretive way, advised in the hidden TOS clicked on that is so cryptic nobody reads. I think the difference between how Apple does this and Google, is that Apple derives it's profits on real products sales, When they collect personal data on you, they use it internally to build on their product line. Google's chief product is the sales of your personal data to other companies and gives you a service claimed to be free in exchange for you giving them the right to spy on what you do.
So when will the house of cards collapse? I believe as long as Google can keep a low profile they have a good run to continue. However an event is about to happen early next year that could be a game changer and cause that crises I spoke of. Next year, Facebook is about to make it's IPO. The proceeds will go toward a very widespread expansion of what they do, i.e. make everyone's life an open book to everyone else. I believe the Face Book event will be what will wake up government and people will demand regulation on the right to privacy, the Knee Jerk reaction by our government. Google and Android will be caught in the crossfire. The business model will collapse just like Communism does when the people discover personal rights. I'm not calling this a crystal ball here or a Bob Haller mind set. I'm just pointing out a possible way that the Google business model could see a quick demise and what could trigger it.

The one thing that always bothered me...
The one thing that really never stops amusing me since I arrived on this continent is the phenomenon: the less clue the more chest thumping "I'm a pro!" "I have two degrees!"

From "Microsoft is headed for the spinoff shack", to "when Apple and Microsoft will give up the battle and settle in on one OS",
to nose-diving stocks, to fixing hard drives, to extending a router range, to zero grasp of foreign languages, market share definition, etc. etc.
I understand that asking what Linux GPL means would be a direct insult, so I won't...

But then again what can one expect from a person who's grasp of the English language boils down to "I shoot people 4hire"? :D

In one word: non-stop entertainment! OK, three words...

Diogen.

Last edited:
It must a slow news period - old rumors are rehashed and repeated.
From next iPhone (5 or 4S or something else), to next iPad, to Amazon tablets.
This time the rumor claims Amazon plans to sell 1M tablets per month...
Amazon Android tablets may launch in Aug-Sept

And the most interesting (and suspicious) in these rumors: all new hardware is targeting Aug-Sep for release...:)

Diogen.

Even macrumors.com ran the Amazon tablet rumor today. They might have an advantage over the other competitors given their streaming media capabilities; probably the most developed set of music / video offerings next to iTunes. I know the Media Hub on the Galaxy Tab was pretty disappointing, just not a lot of options.

And if they enabled Prime users to stream the free prime video offerings, it would be a big selling point.

And now even Wall Street Journal chimes in...
Amazon Plans iPad Rival - WSJ.com

Not much in terms of specs or manufacturer, but the time frame is suspiciously close to Ice Cream release...

Diogen.

EDIT: I think Google and Amazon have a good chance to become "friends"...

Last edited:
I'm not sure Amazon will be ready out of the gate to forgo all licensed Google Apps/Services...
This is one of those services manufacturers would consider licensing Android for
Google Maps brings live traffic coverage to 13 European countries, makes work weeks even shorter -- Engadget
And hackers - hack any Android device with a screen to get it for free (e.g Nook)...

Interesting: Germany was the most bitchy nation re: WiFi sniffing by Google street view, but are the first to offer live traffic data to the same guys...

Diogen.

Maybe not. Here is an interesting angle
Google's Android dominance to be challenged by Amazon tablet
Amazon might fork Android and go its own way.

I'm not sure Amazon will be ready out of the gate to forgo all licensed Google Apps/Services...

Diogen.

I only foresee a problem if Amazon changes the default search engine & browser in their product. As long as they leave those alone, I don't think Google will have any issue. The main reason is Ads. This was one thing not addressed by the article. Google makes the majority of their money from ads. They will still get that even by Amazon using their own app store.

That $250 price point sounds very interesting.
It will knock off the Nook Color of the top "best value" list.

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts