Amazon Raising Prices

Amazon Video is still $8.99 good enough here for a few times a year. Crazy people would pay now $119 a year for the privilege of shopping there.

I tend to agree with you, but there are other benefits of Prime such as unlimited photo storage, prime video, shipping, included books for kindle, prime music (the limited version), discounts on games, ad free twitch etc...

But we’re pondering whether it out-priced it’s value... I use a lot of those other perks, but I suspect the decision would be easier for those people that only use prime for shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: Zookster
I'm on the fence about whether to continue to renew. Effectively $10 per month still isn't bad, but, to be honest, I've been shopping around a lot more lately, and I can usually find a better price (even with paid shipping) elsewhere. Now, if Amazon was saying the price increase was to pay their warehouse workers better, I might be more inclined. I'll probably renew, and I will probably at least break even on things like the Prime Kindle Library, Prime Video, and other things, but I am not thrilled about it.

Update: my membership renews before the price increase goes into effect, so that makes the decision easier.

Is it possible to renew early at the current rate and have my expiration date extended by 12 months? I think I'm up in July or August.

It's barely worth it to me for $100 since I very rarely watch anything on Amazon Prime; I'd rather be paying for Hulu. Any books I can get from Prime reading I can get from my library. And I really don't order that much from them. In fact I probably spend more money just because I've gotten lazy about shopping around.

Is it possible to renew early at the current rate and have my expiration date extended by 12 months? I think I'm up in July or August.

It's barely worth it to me for $100 since I very rarely watch anything on Amazon Prime; I'd rather be paying for Hulu. Any books I can get from Prime reading I can get from my library. And I really don't order that much from them. In fact I probably spend more money just because I've gotten lazy about shopping around.

https://deals.kinja.com/heres-how-to-lock-in-another-year-of-prime-for-99-1825582003

Reactions: Zookster
Mine says it will renew 11/4/18, at which time I will be charged $99.

I guess they’ll update that.

I'll probably keep it as I do currently save more than the cost of Prime, on some office supplies over getting them locally or anywhere else. My dad and sister also use the account a lot.

Although Amazon's crappy delivery service in Las Vegas has been pushing me not to renew. Nearly everything out there is delivered by Amazon Delivery Services instead of USPS. Our condo development is gated with 8 to 10ft adobe walls and 24hr attendants at the gate. It is also noted on the account to leave packages, no matter what it is, at the front door or the gate if no one is home. Yet the last 4 deliveries the driver has left a note no one home not deliverable or left it at the wrong address. I then have to waste time calling Amazon and telling them to send it back out that day.

Mine just renewed in March 2018 at $99. I turned on reminder next year 3 days in advance so I can decide if its still worth it. My case living in the boondocks most likely.

I wish you could pick and choose what portions of Prime you want and not pay the full price. My main reason for subscribing to Prime is for Prime Pantry. If you could order Pantry items w/o a Prime membership I probably wouldn’t even have it. I would have no qualms paying a lower rate or even staying at the $99/year rate and giving up all of the ‘perks’ and only having the benefit of 2 day shipping and the ability for Pantry purchases. I have no use for streaming video, so Amazon Video is useless to me. When I look at the selection of TV Shows and movies available, it looks worse than Netflix, I didn’t know that was possible. Don’t care about Prime Music, I listen to Sirius XM 99% of the time like I have for 15 years now, I found nothing interesting on Prime Reading and I refuse to have any of my content remotely hosted so Prime Photos is out.

Nothing is free, all of these ‘free perks’ are coming at the cost of future price increases. Kind of like the darling of the wireless industry, T-Mobile. Include Netflix for ‘free’ only to raise the rates a few months later. Two phones used to be $100, not $120 the One add on was $5, not $10. I’m paying $25/month more for a $12 service that’s ‘free’ that I don’t even want in the first place.

Reactions: TheKrell
I wish you could pick and choose what portions of Prime you want and not pay the full price. My main reason for subscribing to Prime is for Prime Pantry. If you could order Pantry items w/o a Prime membership I probably wouldn’t even have it. I would have no qualms paying a lower rate or even staying at the $99/year rate and giving up all of the ‘perks’ and only having the benefit of 2 day shipping and the ability for Pantry purchases. I have no use for streaming video, so Amazon Video is useless to me. When I look at the selection of TV Shows and movies available, it looks worse than Netflix, I didn’t know that was possible. Don’t care about Prime Music, I listen to Sirius XM 99% of the time like I have for 15 years now, I found nothing interesting on Prime Reading and I refuse to have any of my content remotely hosted so Prime Photos is out.

Nothing is free, all of these ‘free perks’ are coming at the cost of future price increases. Kind of like the darling of the wireless industry, T-Mobile. Include Netflix for ‘free’ only to raise the rates a few months later. Two phones used to be $100, not $120 the One add on was $5, not $10. I’m paying $25/month more for a $12 service that’s ‘free’ that I don’t even want in the first place.

The issue I have with their price increases is not only is Prime going up, but so are the prices of the actual products they sell. Amazon used to have some of the best prices online, but I find that is rarely the case any more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)