AMC 14 Satellite Launch Failure - What now for Dish?

What I dont get

How could someone post a news article about the satellite failure in a thread entitled AMC 14 Satellite Launch Failure?

I am usually a lurker here but sometimes find the fact that people dont usually read the threads is remarkable.

Just My Two Cents

JC:confused:

How could someone post a news article about the satellite failure in a thread entitled AMC 14 Satellite Launch Failure?

I am usually a lurker here but sometimes find the fact that people dont usually read the threads is remarkable.

Just My Two Cents

Just part of our new Troll empowerment program :)

Despite the 61.5 problems, I went ahead today and added the D500 for 61.5 to my setup. Thought I'd share the view. What you guys think?

Attachments

• Array1.jpg
    Array1.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 214
  • Array2.jpg
    Array2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 194
  • Array3.jpg
    Array3.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 248

Just My Two Cents

careful, you might be called a jerk with that kind of attitude! ;)

E* should of made and make their boxes upgradable from now on. Look at when VOOM launches the boxes were MPEG2, but included a slot for MPEG4 upgrade.

A multipurpose processor and software doesn't usually do the decode job as well as a custom built-for-purpose decoder. The other issue is 'cost'. The decode chip that just does decode is cheaper than a multipurpose processor usually.

Making these units upgrade capable would only work for means today, tomorrow could still be a big ? where you could still end up having to replace hardware anyway (because your multipurpose chip is not fast enough).

Despite the 61.5 problems, I went ahead today and added the D500 for 61.5 to my setup. Thought I'd share the view. What you guys think?
I was going to say your UHF reflector is too close to the VHF antenna, but this is the Satellite Launch Failure thread and I don't want to get slammed for staying off-topic ;) Maybe we need to resurrect the "Posting and You" film?
Didn't the Breeze-M have 3 burn stages? If it was the second that failed, could there be any way they could try and fire the third stage to get it further out? Of course, that's assuming that it didn't separate and that there is a way to fire the third stage from the ground.
Since no one answered this: the BRIZ-M is a single stage used to transfer its cargo into higher orbit or one with a different inclination. To reach geosynchronous orbit, the BRIZ-M fires multiple times (take a look at the diagram that was posted earlier), each one transferring the vehicle to a different orbit.

I would guess that after the premature shutdown during the second transfer burn, ILS jettisoned the BRIZ-M as so much dead weight. This allows the AMC-14 to control its destiny from now on; whether it's bound for GEO or a fiery end above the ocean.

Last edited:
I was going to say your UHF reflector is too close to the VHF antenna, but this is the Satellite Launch Failure thread and I don't want to get slammed for staying off-topic ;)

It looks like it is too close, but it didn't interfere with the satellite signal at all. At first I was worried about that too, but it works great. And yes it is a 1000.2. I am curious how the receiver will behave with the duplicate HD channels setup. So far it pulls off of 129, not 61.5.

Have Star Choice and Dish Network merge to serve both the US and Canada.

Or we need Jack Bauer (24) to step in and save the day.

Just amazing that our governement can launch a NSA satellite from Vandenberg today with no problems whatsoever (at least that they will admit to), but Dish cannot get a satellite into orbit. That astounds me. I sure hope Charlie offers me something to stay, because I sure love my 622, but I need some new national HD asap, and I do not care if they have t shut all the MPEG2 receivers down to do it.

Uh, the U.S. has had it's spectacular commercial and military launch failures, and I mean in recent years.

yes please!!!!

I have been working for charlie for almost 10 years now and my co-workers have thought me crazy for an all mpeg4 solution? we upgrade systems daily to rec. 4 sats???????????? why not upgrade exist subs to mpeg4 and use ol faithful dish 500 i.e. 110,119 for primary services???????????? costs cannot be more than the launch of birds an t/c's on complicated multisat systems??????????????????? call me dumb,,,,,,,,,,, fsm,,,michigan Jason

Have Star Choice and Dish Network merge to serve both the US and Canada.

Or we need Jack Bauer (24) to step in and save the day.

I don't think that's even legally possible outside of a Dish Canada deal, much less technically practical.

Besides, last I subbed to StarChoice their PQ was superior in SD. I can just imagine how such a deal would turn out.

Just My Two Cents

I didn't see the linky but just off the top of my head perhaps because the poster thought it contained some new information perhaps.

For those wondering about why US companies do not do launches it should be noted that Sea Launch does launches and is a limited liability corporation with Headquarters and Home Port facilities in Long Beach, Calif. The company is owned by Boeing of Seattle, Wash. (40%); RSC-Energia of Moscow, Russia (25%); Aker ASA of Oslo, Norway (20%); and SDO Yuzhnoye/PO Yuzhmash of Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine (15%). Financing for the venture is provided by these companies and through debt financing arranged by Chase Manhattan Bank in New York.

I also have read that launch windows are better obtained outside the USA and that safety is also a concern with a much higher insurance rate.

Well it looks like Dish will have to try the backup plan of having E6 operate permanently at 77 instead of moving AMC-14 there. Of course since E6 does not have AMC-14's advance beam shaping technology they will have to point it carefully SE, probably cutting out the NW US's ability to see 77 to keep the interference of NW Canada DBS under control.

Admittedly, I have no knowledge of satellite technology (other than that I see the end result on my TV), but assuming we have to count the new launch out completely:

Why don't they dump the **** that only a very small percentage of subscribers are watching, in favor of the channels that the vast majority see as "must haves". Better to lose a small percentage of disgruntled subscribers who can't watch soccer in China, than risk a mass exodus of people who are looking for the "big channels". I like Voom, but I'd gladly sacrifice it for other more desirable channels in HD. If that means Charlie gets sued, then pay out and move on.

Maybe they have a good back up plan (I hope so), but if not, they need to do what's going to result in the retention of the largest number of subscribers, and accept that fact that they'll have the smaller number get pissed off and/or leave.

NHL Network

CONUS HD Locals

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)