AMC -14 story gets more interesting

Interesting FCC filing from Lockheed/Martin mentions the satellite "... formerly known as AMC-14". It says "... recovery and restoration operations now underway".

See here.

Very interesting. Sounds like Lockheed/martin is adopting a lost cat.

Well the filing does say that AMC-14 is being moved into a "safe" orbit, pending a determination as to its ultimate disposition.

So it's safe to infer that they still haven't quite decided to ditch it, but I don't think we can say they have decided to save it.

Still, better than nothing.

Satellite fomerly known as AMC-14. Does this mean a change in ownership? Who is going to go up and change the signage when they figure out the new name? And this is a little off subject but the comment about the lost cat made me think of my dogs and thier microchips and this base station is like Lockhead's microchip scanner for the former AMC-14

What would happen if they lost communication with the satellite just as it got into the gravitational pull of the moon. and just happened to regain control as it slingshot out of that pull by accident. It could happen...

US govt took control of AMC-14 a week ago, and SES took control of Ed Horowitz this morning.
Management1.jpg

I think that you are mistaken.

Well the tech chat tonight pretty much said AMC-14 is toast. Either of the recovery missions: lunar fly by or highly eliptical orbit would use up all the fuel and also take over a YEAR to complete the manuevers.

Lockheed Martin built AMC-14, FYI! Wonder what the manufacturer is going to do with the satellite they built for SES. Regardless, if the tech chat said AMC-14 is toast, the satellite won't be doing anything for Dish. Probably going to be used for testing purposes or put down into our atmosphere to burn up, depending on what Lockheed wants to do.

Lockheed Martin built AMC-14, FYI! Wonder what the manufacturer is going to do with the satellite they built for SES. Regardless, if the tech chat said AMC-14 is toast, the satellite won't be doing anything for Dish. Probably going to be used for testing purposes or put down into our atmosphere to burn up, depending on what Lockheed wants to do.

Yes, this had an experimental/prototype payload on it called an Active Phased Array, which allows them to shape the transmission beam while on orbit. They'll want to do some testing on it since they've never used it on-orbit before with this type of satellite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)