AMC-3 C-Band (4080H) DVB-S2 on a 4' Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
After having this setup now for the past several weeks, I believe I'm going to disassemble it and return to having a KU LNBF centered and a C LNBF off to the side (http://www.satelliteguys.us/248937-two-c-band-lnbfs-3.html).

While the centered C LNBF worked very well and provided awesome DVB-S2 signal quality I found that the tracking was off on some satellites as I searched the satellite arc. For example when I went to AMC 3 it was always dead on, but when I turned to Anik-F3 for TV Hot or to Galaxy 17 I always had to bump the motor a notch or two to get back the signal.

Due to rain, I didn't get to work on this project. Instead, my wife and I setup our new Casper mattress. I'm going to sleep good tonight.

I opened the Titanium C1-PLL C-band LNBF and all I can say is "WOW". Certainly a very well designed and built product. I'm thinking about upgrading all my other C-Band LNBFs to this model if it performs as well as it looks.

Attachments

• SAM_2740.JPG
    SAM_2740.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 182
  • SAM_2745.JPG
    SAM_2745.JPG
    606.2 KB · Views: 162
  • SAM_2748.JPG
    SAM_2748.JPG
    256 KB · Views: 148
  • SAM_2755.JPG
    SAM_2755.JPG
    309.4 KB · Views: 162
  • SAM_2761.JPG
    SAM_2761.JPG
    352.2 KB · Views: 155
  • SAM_2763.JPG
    SAM_2763.JPG
    343.2 KB · Views: 160
Reactions: Titanium
The setup:
  • Channel Master 1.2m Motorized Dish
  • PLL KU LNBF
  • Titanium Satellite C1-PLL C-Band LNBF
  • Conical Scalar
  • 3 Feed Support Arms w/ Custom Brackets
  • Ecoda 0/22 KHz Switch
  • RG-6 Quad Shield Coax Cables
While I was out installing this setup, some young guy stopped and asked if I had any extra large satellite dishes that he could use as shields when playing paintball. :eeek

Starting tomorrow, I'll begin to post the results of the C and KU transponders and satellites received with this setup.

Attachments

• SAM_2772.JPG
    SAM_2772.JPG
    386.9 KB · Views: 200
  • SAM_2773.JPG
    SAM_2773.JPG
    459.9 KB · Views: 167
  • SAM_2775.JPG
    SAM_2775.JPG
    318.7 KB · Views: 191
  • SAM_2776.JPG
    SAM_2776.JPG
    235.6 KB · Views: 163
  • SAM_2777.JPG
    SAM_2777.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 199
  • SAM_2778.JPG
    SAM_2778.JPG
    243.8 KB · Views: 178
  • SAM_2779.JPG
    SAM_2779.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 169
  • SAM_2780.JPG
    SAM_2780.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 183
  • SAM_2782.JPG
    SAM_2782.JPG
    309.5 KB · Views: 176
It's real "purdy", but I predict it will soon be disassembled in order to optimize for C-band reception. :(

The feehorn fore/aft position and conical scalar position (in tandem) are both highly critical to receive C-band on a small reflector. I usually will first rough in the reception using the feedhorn only. Slide fore/aft and skew left/right to optimize. Once a signal is locked, then add the conical scalar and slide only it fore/aft and rotate to optimize. Then slide the feedhorn/conical combo fore/aft and slight rotation to optimize, then slide only the conical fore/aft/rotate, then the combo fore/aft/rotate, then the conical, then the combo..... you get the picture! Once you think the signal is optimized, change to a different transponder. Don't be surprised if the feedhorn and scalar placement might need to be changed to optimize. Even panning the feedhorn up/down/left right (aiming into the dish can increase the Signal Quality.

Rejection of interfering signals from terrestrial and adjacent satellite will optimizing the desired signal. It is a balance between optimization on diferent transponders and satellites to get the channels that you really want....

Reactions: PopcornNMore
Performed some scans last night without doing any adjustments. A nice selection of channels scanned in having a signal strength over 45%. A new religious channel on Galaxy 19 scanned in having a signal strength of 89%. Just some of the channels are FOX, NBC, COZI and THIS on Galaxy 16, AMG-TV, Dr. TV, LATV and The Walk TV on Galaxy 19, PBS HD and SD on SES3 and a few other channels. Granted, I didn't scan the entire arc or even adjusted the azimuth settings using the motor. Just a quick search when commercials were on during WWE RAW last night.

Too bad you're not selling those bent brackets for the CM/Andrew dishes. You could probably make some money.
Funny you said that, because I was thinking of this just today. :) I started Rinker Technologies about six months ago and was thinking about adding these brackets as a new product. I would also love to offer my customers the Titanium Satellite C-Band C1 and C2 PLL LNBFs, because its such a great product that I highly recommend.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)